Project TRD Pony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project TRD Pony

Hello all! A little back story with the car. This car has been with me since the beginning being my first car. It has been there to drive me through high school and college. But I unfortunately could not show it the love it deserved during college because commuter cars got in the way. Unfortunately that ment the mustang had to sit it out on the sidelines. It was a healthy hci 302 and was good enough to get me high 12s in the 1/4 mile. While it sat though, I began to get an itch in the back of my head to do something crazy with it.

That itch slowly became an obsession and that kind of leads me to where I am today. During college I had the chance to work on quite a few mkiv supras and had become quite impressed by the build quality of the 2jz and how reliable it really is.

But if I was going to do this build, I was going to do it the right way. The goal first is to build a smog legal 2jz with the v160 6spd. The goal is to have a well rounded car that i can go road racing, drag, and maybe even some airstrip racing. This is a slow build but I hope to have something I can be proud of at the end of the day. I know this is not everyone's cup of tea but please bear with me.

2jzgte with v160 6spd. I will be converting the jdm motor to usdm specs

Out goes the 302

Sure is a lot of space

I am going full MM front end with a new 03 Cobra rack

This is a hydraulic clutch conversion kit I'm using. This will also mean I am going hydroboost as it is designed around the smaller fox body booster.

First Initial test fit!

Made a Jig to plan out the mounting brackets

Brackets done in 1/4in thick steel using 302 energy suspension mounts. Just need to be welded up

New koyo hubs with MM ARP studs. I will also be adding the ARP studs to the rear

I am using a stifflers T56 crossmember and surprisingly lines up pretty well!
    Last edited by TRD Pony; 03-16-2018, 07:01 PM.

Well, I took the training wheels off the motor and let the mounts do their work. Pretty pleased with how things are turning out.

Finished the motor mounts and got them welded up. I'll be cutting the 302 ears off and painting the raw metal black.

Acquired a MotorCraft SPR-ZM rack (03-04 cobra)

One of the perks of having a brother that is a engineer for nasa is he is able to make some CAD design files for me. This is of the shifter linkage. Once he finishes up on that I'll have it cnc milled.

I just picked up my custom driveshaft today to mate up the v160 to the ford 8.8 live axle. The driveshaft is a 3.5in steel shaft with a splined joint to allow some in and out movement from the live axle. I have a billet aluminum adapter flange to mate to the 1350 joint to the v160. I'm using an 03-04 cobra flange on the diff side to bolt the 1350 joint up on that side.

Just got some of my exhaust pieces in to start figuring out the routing. I was able to find dual 3in tailpipes that fit over the axle and I'll be using dual 3in aero turbine mufflers. Should be a huge increase in flow over the 2 1/4in tailpipes and flowmasters that were on the car.

Comment

Now this is a good build. Cannot wait to see more.

Comment

Oeh this is interesting...

Any pics of the whole car?
        Lucas
        Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
        Originally posted by LCG
        High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

These are what it looks like currently, but a good amount will be changed before I'm done.

Comment

I'd like to see the outside of the car, or know what year it is, or something lol but the idea is cool. I was wondering what kind of rear end you were going to use, and if you need to upgrade the diff at all to handle the amount of power you would have for airstrip racing

Comment

Subb'd for SN95 content!

Comment

Originally posted by nishy View Post
                I'd like to see the outside of the car, or know what year it is, or something lol but the idea is cool. I was wondering what kind of rear end you were going to use, and if you need to upgrade the diff at all to handle the amount of power you would have for airstrip racing
                Added some pictures of the car in post #5. The rear is already built. The rear end is a ford 8.8 with a detroit trutrack torsen diff, 3.55 gears, 03-04 cobra pinion flange, solid pinion sleeve, diff girdle cover, 31 spline moser axles, and arp studs.

Comment

hell yeah!

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

I was just thinking about this, and no you are turning it into a reality! I've seen a foxbody with a 2jz and a terminator with a 2jz, but never a sn95.
                    sigpic

Old Japanese cars are my thing
                    Follow me on the gram @driftundertheradar

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Gramps View Post
                      I was just thinking about this, and no you are turning it into a reality! I've seen a foxbody with a 2jz and a terminator with a 2jz, but never a sn95.
                      Yeah there are a few foxbodies and the new edge one. But i haven't really seen any that run the factory v160 6spd, probably because it is pretty cost prohibitive to buy. But i wanted to do the swap right and have as much supra drivetrain as possible.

Comment

amazing! Im innn
                        aaa

Comment

ecoboost SN95!

oh wait...

Comment

Ecoboost would be cool but there are a lot more things integrated into the chassis. So it is a lot more difficult to legalize. I really wish i could of gotten the 4.0l barra motor from the Australian fords, but there is no hope of getting that legalized anytime soon haha.

Comment

yes... so much yes....
                              99 GS 400
                              85' 190d
                              99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                              97' q45 (rip)
                              ig: erik.docx

Comment

Working...
                              X