N54 powered Datsun 240z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N54 powered Datsun 240z

So time for my next project after building my E30 and 2002. Ive wanted one of these before I even got my e30 since my father had a 78 280z when i was younger growing up but he unfortunately sold it before I was ever into cars. So i came across this 72 240z that has been sitting on jack stands in a barn for 10+ years to start as a father son project with the hope to get it into SEMA in a few years. The car was last registered in California in 87. It does have some rot unfortunately and the floors have been patched prior it looks like but most of that will be getting cut out anyway. I regretably sold my135i this past fall and miss the N54 so as a BMW technician my goal is to swap the entire driveline, subframes with suspenion, steering etc and ABS into the Z. So pretty much at the end of this will be a Z shell over a 335i. This will be by far my biggest project i've gotten myself into compared to the LS1 swap in my e30 and the m20 swap into the 2002.
    Hoping to get the car to media blast by the end of this month to get a nice clean start to it the all the fab work begins. I want the car to be turn key like its almost factory and be a nice car to really enjoy driving. Interior will stay mostly stock looking but will have a roll cage, nothing crazy just as added support, the outside is going to be widened, how much exactly i haven't quite figured out but the 335 track width is about 6 inches wider then the Z so its going to take some work for sure.

[IMG]image by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]DSC_0072[/IMG]

Onto pics of the Z
    [IMG]IMG_8175 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]
    IMG_8178 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_8179 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_8180 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_8181 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_8182 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_8409 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Partially stripped and on the rotisserie
    [IMG]IMG_8628 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]

Picked up a 09 335i for a donor car this weekend[IMG]IMG_8722 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by wobbie; 06-12-2018, 07:34 PM.

That Z is way too clean to cut up ... the wheelbases are almost 20" different. You could start with Miata suspension and be within an inch of the right wheelbase. Why not just swap the motor and keep the 240Z suspension?

Comment

interested to see how you're going to run the N54 without a zillion ecu cluttering the space

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Sub'd for days.. This is going to be epic

Comment

Oh man, I love old Z's, I'd like a early 80's Z (z31?) myself.

Stoked to see how this goes Wobbie

Comment

I'm wondering if you are going to have to shorten the chassis to fit the wheelbase of the Z. Other than that, I think this is going to be a very unique build.
            sigpic

Old Japanese cars are my thing
            Follow me on the gram @driftundertheradar

Comment

Subbed for sure. I have always wanted a 240z since I was a kid. It's a real shame that RHD drive ones in the UK are £30k+. I am super interested to see what happens with this.

Comment

Originally posted by indy510 View Post
                That Z is way too clean to cut up ... the wheelbases are almost 20" different. You could start with Miata suspension and be within an inch of the right wheelbase. Why not just swap the motor and keep the 240Z suspension?
                because thats no fun

Comment

what in satan's name?

...... sub'ed af

https://stanceworks.com/forums/showt...t-tt-for-long)

Comment

Originally posted by wobbie View Post
                    because thats no fun
                    this is essentially the phrase that drives my entire build / life :P

project looks interesting

Comment

should be interesting. I think we are just starting to see n54 swaps getting more and more common. they are getting cheaper each year. my 335i def made some good power. moved that heavy car easy.
                      V8 S14

Comment

Sub'd for this one.

Comment

What the f..., I'm in
                          IG: @blk_gtr

Comment

So I picked the car up from media blast, almost time to start mocking up the 335i driveline.

[IMG]IMG_9010 by wobbiee30, on Flickr[/IMG]
                            IMG_9011 by wobbiee30, on Flickr
                            IMG_9012 by wobbiee30, on Flickr
                            IMG_9013 by wobbiee30, on Flickr
                            IMG_9014 by wobbiee30, on Flickr
                            IMG_9015 by wobbiee30, on Flickr
                            IMG_9026 by wobbiee30, on Flickr
                            IMG_9030 by wobbiee30, on Flickr

Comment

In for this

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
                              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Working...
                              X