No announcement yet.

My old Honda - NA1 NSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are pretty much my twin when it comes to the little stuff. I bought a NOS key fob for my car off eBay to replace the cracked factory one, and now it is so nice I don't want to use it at all day-to-day. My buddy was teasing me because it is a detail nobody will ever know and I can't really show off at car shows.

Comment

Yup it's a curse. Really slows things down when your trying to get some stuff done on the car.

Comment

That is incredibly awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@projects_always

Comment

Originally posted by cblock406 View Post
          That is incredibly awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          cheers bud

Comment

Okay, just to take care of a few common faults before they become a problem.

First off, there is a large relay that control various starting systems for the car (ignition, fuel pump prime etc) and over the years the solder tends to crack and you start to get all sorts of starting problems (intermittently).

So first was to buy a new one, however I thought I would re-solder all the joints in the old one to keep as a spare in case of emergencies.

Itis crazy this was only designed in 1991, seems so old in comparison to what would be designed/made now:

re-soldered all the joints:

Next on the list was the climate control system. As with most of the electronics, after 20 years or so the capacitors start to leak and damage the PCB by eroding solder tracks and other components. Now, the one that came in my car must have been replaced at some point, as this was a new version. However, even the youngest of the NSX is 11 years old now, so it would be prudent to put new capacitors on as a preventative maintenance measure:

Butt load of new capacitors:

All fitted:

Some PCB laquer:

...and all tested and working:

The next little job. The aerial mast never raised to full height as the teeth were slipping. Honda used to make a replacement mast, however its now been discontinued. As luck would have it, a NOS item appeared on eBay right near my house. No need to buy a very expensive new unit, whoop!

Was so much of a pain to removed, you can see how its all been bent trying to get it out.

old and busted vs. new and hotness (yeah that's right, I referred to an aerial as hot!)

and all installed and working:

Another common issue is a dirty ignition switch. After thousands of start up procedures you tend to get a build up of carbon and grime on the switch resulting in an intermittent starting issue. I decided to get mine out and give it a clean (ooh err) before it started becoming a problem.

all cleaned up and re-greased, ready to go back together:

Comment

Oh boy, so many great things going on in this thread. First off, congrats on the purchase, this car looks fantastic. Secondly, how are you positively retaining the usb ports on the center console piece you refurbished (ie. what does the "B Surface" of the panel look like?) Third, I love your wheel choice for the car, and those custom Ti lug nuts are spot on, I bet there is almost an appreciable difference in vehicle performance, just by decreasing rotating mass ever so slightly. Next, I can tell you are a true Honda enthusiast by the "The Chronicles" sticker in your rear windscreen. I love that guy's work. Finally, I love the way you are going through the car and replacing little clips and such w/ OEM, in my opinion, (from owning a 2000 Civic Si) there is no greater satisfaction than replacing an old, worn piece w/ a shiny, new, perfect OEM Honda replacement.... Anyhow, that was probably all a bit TMI, but I'm bored at work, so I figured I would take the time to show love for your efforts on the car. The NSX is more than deserving, and I can't wait to see what else you do with it!

Comment

Originally posted by I_Haz.:R32 View Post
                Oh boy, so many great things going on in this thread. First off, congrats on the purchase, this car looks fantastic. Secondly, how are you positively retaining the usb ports on the center console piece you refurbished (ie. what does the "B Surface" of the panel look like?) Third, I love your wheel choice for the car, and those custom Ti lug nuts are spot on, I bet there is almost an appreciable difference in vehicle performance, just by decreasing rotating mass ever so slightly. Next, I can tell you are a true Honda enthusiast by the "The Chronicles" sticker in your rear windscreen. I love that guy's work. Finally, I love the way you are going through the car and replacing little clips and such w/ OEM, in my opinion, (from owning a 2000 Civic Si) there is no greater satisfaction than replacing an old, worn piece w/ a shiny, new, perfect OEM Honda replacement.... Anyhow, that was probably all a bit TMI, but I'm bored at work, so I figured I would take the time to show love for your efforts on the car. The NSX is more than deserving, and I can't wait to see what else you do with it!

Cheers bud means a lot.

The USB has a "snap in" fascia as part of the assembly when you buy it. I used this fascia part and bonded it in the centre console. This means the USB part snaps in as per the factory part. Not that you would even need to remove it as the supply is on the standard plug so comes away with the centre console.

I don't know about the rotating mass lol I just did it to see if I could

Nah, I appreciate the effort

Comment

Huh, must have been a common Honda problem back in the day with MFR. Both my Integras wouldn't start when the interior was to hot until I replaced the relay which had been superseded with a new part number that apparently doesn't do the same no start but plenty of cranking.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

More on the common faults side of things I'm afraid so not particularly exciting.

First up is a small seal that goes into the timing belt tensioner, sounds ridiculous but the nsx timing belt is one of the best seal timing belts I've ever come across.

These are always missing so it was one of the first things I checked when I got a second with the car. It was still there but really old and cracked, so a new one was bought:

Another thing is the coil packs. Specifically the rear bank gets a lot of water into them, and if the seals aren't fitted and functional (you would be surprised how many are fitted incorrectly rendering them useless). So as the spark plugs needed changing they got an inspection.

don't look too bad but I replaced them as a matter of course. For anyone interested I used NGK iridium plugs as they are simply the best. I always use them in any vehicle I have.

all the bolts don't have a spot of corrosion on them, its like this car has never seen the rain before (and will never see the rain whilst I own it)

no rust, yeayyy

front bank got some silicone grease to prevent corrosion in future:

same with the rear bank:

The seal fitted correctly and with a good coat of silicone grease applied. It will be replaced next time its removed as its getting on a bit.

for some reason a bolt was missing for the coil pack cover so was replaced:

next up was the fuel filter, it was the original one so was time to replace:

again a MAHLE replacement was used as the quality is really up there with the best.

bleugh, old fuel out the filter:

new copper washers:

tiny little one for the pressure take off / diagnostic port:

Filter bracket with a fresh coat of paint and rubbers replaced:

...and fitted. You can see the banjo bolt adapter for the fuel pressure sensor and the custom loom I made for it with Techflex overbraid:

Comment

love all the detail your putting into this thing.... on a side note, cant see the pictures of your "furniture" project. fixe them please. sounded really interesting.

cant wait to see more

Comment

Originally posted by C2_mad View Post
                        love all the detail your putting into this thing.... on a side note, cant see the pictures of your "furniture" project. fixe them please. sounded really interesting.

cant wait to see more
                        doh! fixed now thanks for the heads up

Comment

table looks awsome, well done

Comment

Originally posted by C2_mad View Post
                            table looks awsome, well done
                            thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by hkz286 View Post
                              Cheers bud

The USB has a "snap in" fascia as part of the assembly when you buy it. I used this fascia part and bonded it in the centre console. This means the USB part snaps in as per the factory part. Not that you would even need to remove it as the supply is on the standard plug so comes away with the centre console.
                              Makes sense, very nice! Agreed on the quality of NGK plugs too, the absolute best.

Comment

Makes sense, very nice!
                                thanks bud, means a lot

Agreed on the quality of NGK plugs too, the absolute best.
                                yeah I don't use anything else, they're awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X