VW 1.8t powered FB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW 1.8t powered FB

Figured i'd start a fresh thread for this swap. My FB has sat motorless for three years and i've been itching to get it back on the road. Some of you may remember my FB as the "slammed FB from canada"

Well i'd originally started to put a small block in the car but its too tall of a setup with a carb. the oil pan hung too low and the carb hat wouldn't clear the hood since i had a vortec carb intake. i then started thinking what other common reliable engines are there. i then decided to buy a 99 passat with a 1.8t. and i had an sr20 transmission kicking around too.

here is the car 4-5 years ago.

i started mocking up the engine and trans. since i didn't feel like welding old oil saturated aluminum to make a rear sump pan i made a new subframe to clear the front sump pan.

The engine now sits nicely under the hood. i also measured up the bell housing on the sr20 trans and bell housing flange on the 1.8t and started designing the adapter kit. as well as the spacing required for the flywheel

cleaned up the engine and got it ready to assemble and put in the car.

Needed to find a decent rad that would fit the FB’s small frame as well as had the inlet and outlet on the drivers side. got an old rad off a friend that fit almost perfect. i modded the stock rad shroud to fit. painted it and it looks stock again

mocked up my intercooler piping and welded it up.

i also converted my fuel tank to an in-tank pump. my driveshaft is in as well. just no pictures of these.
    INSTA: @thedrewmclean

Nice work!

Cool to see someone do something different than LS power in a rotary car.
    Current Car: 04 Ford Focus SVT

Founder of CleanCarCulture!
    www.CleanCarCulture.com

Www.facebook.com/CleanCarCulture

Always on the look out for feature cars in NorCal, Maine, Kansas and Florida. Want to become part of the CleanCarCulture team? Use the contact form on our website!

Comment

I'm liking the creativity of the swap! I would've never thought of it!
      sigpic

Old Japanese cars are my thing
      Follow me on the gram @driftundertheradar

Comment

Very cool swap!

@projects_always

Comment

Did you ever finish the audi motor swap

Comment

This is brilliant.

Comment

Got my wheels! they were back ordered almost a month. car seems to be driving pretty well. the last pic has a friends cb750 that i built into a cafe for him.

Comment

This is awesome. Incredible work!

Comment

nicely done!

Comment

Quite a bit of welding and machinery skills you got there. Super clean.

Comment

This is rad

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

thanks guys. not too sure what else im going to do to it. it drives pretty well. stiffer springs in the rear probably. figure out an adapter from sr20 speedo to fb rx7 gauge.

Comment

What a neat swap, 1.8's are great engines and im sure it moves pretty well with the light FB chassis

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
                          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Working...
                          X