Sorta cool ra24 Celica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting To Get Serious

I haven't really touched the Celica since I got the diff welded. School and life in general take priority over the Celica, but school is out so now I have time to mess with the Celica again.

RA24 Celica Camber Plates by k Gent, on Flickr

Had to start it up and clear its throat before I began working...

I know I don't have great fitment up front and I know you know it too so I decided to fix that..

So I ordered up some camber plates from the guys over at Techno Toy Tuning.

Before & After of camber and 1 inch drop from coils

I think it looks pretty good for now. Definitely have to lower the rear as well so I don't have a hideous rake.

In other news I picked up a welder to try my hand at welding. I'm currently going to school for welding so it'll be nice to have the ability to practice at home now. I have fender flares waiting to be installed so I think that will be my first at home welding project.

NOW A LITTLE RANT ABOUT PEOPLE AT CAR SHOWS

I feel as if general respect for other people's cars has been lost. I've seen waaaayy too many people rubbing their hands on other people's cars. I've had it happen too many times on the Celica to where the next day there will be rusty hand/fingerprints on the car. So if you ever wondering why you rarely see my car at shows that is why...

Have a good day, Kobe
    sigpic

Old Japanese cars are my thing
    Follow me on the gram @driftundertheradar

Comment

No longer on monster truck tires

One of the things about my car that was driving me crazy were my tires. They were 215/60/r15s and they had a really weird sidewall that didn't like stretching. So.... I made the switch to some 195/50/r15 Achilles ATR sport 2s.

big tires
      normal tires
      Celica by k Gent, on Flickr

To also compensate for obvious wheel gap I lowered the car even more and zeroed out the camber. I still want the car to be functional so it won't sit fender to lip. Also my header sits about 2 1/2 inches off of the ground and I don't want to go any lower than that.

just some random shots...

Another thing.. I bought some 20mm spacers for the rear so when I put my flares on I won't have too bad of fitment.
      sigpic

Comment

Looks great with the new tires !
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
          Looks great with the new tires !
          Thanks! I definitely handles/feels/looks better than before.

Well this is going this is going to be a long update full of hope and crushed dreams.

So I had a drift clinic I had to get ready for. Two things needed to get done so I could pass tech and get out on track and use my car without the fear of police. I had to get the oil leaks (this is a big part of the story) and get a passenger seat installed for an instructor.

Untitled by k Gent, on Flickr

I removed the valve cover and timing cover and replaced those gaskets. I thought the leaking was due to bad gaskets.... So I put everything back together and got everything situated. Meanwhile my seat and harnesses came in. I had to get a seat bracket made since no one really makes one for my car. So Friday (day before drift event) rolls around and I was going to take the car over to a friend's house to get the bracket made. I got in the car to fire it up and it was dead. I frantically checked the battery and all of my wires. I determined it was a faulty starter and so my chances of getting the car to the drift event were zero. Long story short I missed my first drift event I was bummed out.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!

Found a starter in practically Alabama the next day . Got everything plugged in and I fired up the car. The car has never run so good in the time that I have owned it. Then I noticed some oil pooling up on the ground and I about lost it. There was a crack in the timing cover that I couldn't see when I had it off. I read that some Celica people had success with JB welding that crack (it's actually kind of common on the 20r motor). I tried that and well....

by k Gent, on Flickr

SURPRISE!!! ITS MORE OIL

At this point I'm going to pull the head off, get a new timing cover and gaskets along with a new head gasket while I am there.

Untitled by k Gent, on Flickr

For now the car is going to sit on jack stands until I am able to get everything sorted....
          sigpic

Comment

great build, the RA24 and 28 are some of the best looking cars.

Sucks about your oil leak issues, but I think I see an LS400 in the background that wants to donate its 1uz :p

Comment

Thanks! I love the first gen Celicas because I think they look like little Japanese muscle cars and I was raised around old school muscle. That LS400 you see is my daily that I got from my grandfather (hence the name golden gramps). I want to make this Celica as rowdy as possible so I think a rotary will be seeing its way into the Celica instead of a 1uz.
              sigpic

Comment

Finally Went Drifting

Wow it has been awhile since I updated this thread...

I finally got all the motor stuff squared away (head gasket, timing cover etc...) and got a passenger seat in the car. I signed up for my first drift day and surprisingly the car passed tech and I was able to get out on track (sadly no one got pictures of me out on track but oh well). I quickly realized that this car makes no power at all and my tires are way too grippy. I guess that means I will be stomping the clutch to get around corners so RIP clutch.

I made it the first hour with no problems. We were just doing donuts and figure 8's. Just basic maneuvers to get us comfortable in the cars. Shortly after the first round of donuts, the dip stick decided to come out of the tube and sprayed my engine bay and the rest of the car with oil . So I fixed that with some duct tape and zip ties (I guess that makes me a licensed engineer) and I was back out on track. The very next run a bolt in the thermostat housing stripped out (honestly how does this happen right then and there?). So to fix this, I put some electrical tape around the bolt and "threaded" it back into the hole. After the lunch break, the course was changed to include a big sweeper into a tight and technical section. I just drove the car on the first run out. The next run I got the car sideways through the beginning of the sweeper and then smoke erupts through the hood .
                Turns out my lower radiator hose came off and dumped a lot of coolant.

I pulled the car back into the pits which happened to be down a dirt road. I filled the car up with as much water as possible to mix with the antifreeze and got back on track. Not even one run in and the car starts smoking like crazy again. Turns out it was my track side thermostat fix that stoped working. With no other options I loaded the car back onto the trailer and went home.

drift damage by k Gent, on Flickr

So now I have to fix some more problems with the car, but in all honesty it could've been a lot worse. I am thankful that a stripped bolt is the biggest of my worries.

drift damage by k Gent, on Flickr

Also while we are at it, I got a new job that should provide some decent cash flow so expect some things to come in the near future...
                sigpic

Comment

These are very cool cars, I'd like to have a fastback model to join the Z!

Comment

Originally posted by C greens View Post
                    These are very cool cars, I'd like to have a fastback model to join the Z!
                    Get one! They are super fun to drive and easy to work on. The only problem is finding parts for them
                    sigpic

Comment

Coming Back With A Fresh Mind

I'll be honest with you guys.. I kinda fell out of love with the Celica for a little bit. The car was costing a lot of money with very little return in my eyes. I said to myself that I wouldn't spend much more on the car before I would just sell it and look into something with a little more aftermarket support.

So I poured in a little more money and I got the car back up and running... I felt like a mad scientist even though I really changed a header gasket and re-tapped a hole for the thermostat. Nevertheless the car was running and I was on cloud 9.

DUTR Celica by k Gent, on Flickr

Like anyone else dying for a good drive, I got in the car and just drove. I ended up at some random park and decided to stop there for a little while. Thank god I had my camera with me so I could take some photos.

I needed that drive because it got my thoughts working again. I was so hellbent on trying to get the car on track, that I completely missed the joy of just driving it on back roads.

So on my drive home I came up with a good plan to keep me happy for the long run... its pretty simple so here we go: Save up my money for a complete 3SGE/Beams swap (motor, trans, driveshaft, harness/ecu, mounts, X member etc...) and just drive the car as is until I can do so.

I guess its the whole young and dumb thing... but oh well you live and you learn.

That's all for this post, nothing new to install or anything, just a new direction.
                      sigpic

Comment

End of an Era

WARNING! PIC HEAVY

It's been a good run with the current setup, but it is time for a change. As of yesterday the Celica is officially under the knife.

Celica Disassembly by k Gent, on Flickr

After having an insanely humid summer down in Atlanta, I am tired of keeping up with the bare metal look. Everyday after work the car would have a film of rust over the entire car and taking care of it gets old real quick. So now that it is somewhat decent out and my schedule isn't as hectic I figured it would be a good time to initiate Phase Two.

So Friday night after class I got out into the garage and got to work. Immediately I ran into the issue of not being able to find the 10mm socket. I swear it is the most annoying thing in the world. I eventually found it and proceeded to take off the hood.

The next thing on the list was to remove the fender so I can get full access to the wheel well/inner fender/wheel house etc... I'm going to take a shot and say that these fenders have never been removed because they were a pain to remove. All of that black stuff seems to be the original adhesive that ran along the length of the fender.

It was fairly gross behind the fender as expected. Thank good for vacuum cleaners and wire brushes.

So the next up coming things will be to figure out which wire I can get rid of and tidy up the wiring harness before I spray primer and paint down. I would also like to find a piece of weather stripping to go on that divider thing behind the wheel. The current piece is brittle and falling apart.
                        sigpic

Comment

How Good Can $40 Wheels Be?

Well I better update before Flickr holds the internet hostage too...

So I finally scored new wheels for the Celica... well a pair at least. I can't complain because these wheels were $40 at the Daytona Swap Meet over Thanksgiving.

They are a pair of Enkei Dish wheels (pretty much a sprint wheel like Ansen, American Racing etc...) in 13x6.5 with unknown offset. Yeah they're on the weak side as far as specs go, but I think they will fit the new look just fine. In order to make these work I will need adapters because they are 4x100 and they will need new tires. Both wheels will also need a fair amount of work to look new again, but hey I'm on winter break from school so I have a ton of time on my hands.

Enkei Dish by k Gent, on Flickr
                          Enkei Dish by k Gent, on Flickr

So far I have only gotten one wheel decently cleaned up with 320-800 grit sandpaper. Now I understand why it costs so much to refinish wheels just from doing this one wheel. Its a total PITA, but I like learning new things and it gives me something to do.

Will update as more progress happens!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X