No announcement yet.

Sorta cool ra24 Celica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So after looking at a pretty disgusting engine for the past week, I decided to pull off all of the accessories + the intake and exhaust manifolds. Once I did that, I pulled out the handy power washer to spray off all the grime.

Old and crusty motor

Without accessories

All of the 30+ years of grime

Not a bad job considering I only had a little brake parts cleaner to use as a degreaser

The only thing left to do now is to get the head off of the motor and send the block to the machine shop to get bored .030 over and order a bottom end rebuild kit. It all sounds so easy, but it is time to build up my cash stockpile again to order these parts.
    sigpic

Old Japanese cars are my thing
    Follow me on the gram @driftundertheradar

Comment

Nice car dude! Personally, I like the way the faded body looked and would have left it like that, especially since you're intending to drift it. And definitely needs more low and less tire(just a bit less, they look cool with meatier tires).

Keep it up

Comment

Originally posted by 02turbo View Post
        Nice car dude! Personally, I like the way the faded body looked and would have left it like that, especially since you're intending to drift it. And definitely needs more low and less tire(just a bit less, they look cool with meatier tires).

Keep it up
        You know sometimes I do kick myself for getting rid of the paint, but at the end of the day the faded yellow really bothered me. Plus a lot of cars (civic hatches) run the rusty/faded hoods. So in an attempt to stick out, I just went to bare metal. When I clear over it during the summer, I will be sure to put some colored metallic flake in the clear!
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I understand you tbh. Idk ifyou can put some pearly/chameleon flakes in the clear, to make it like it's changing color as you look at it. I think that would look cool. Some gray wheels on it and black overfenders, could be a nice car haha
          Last edited by 02turbo; 06-12-2017, 09:19 AM.

Comment

In case you all were wondering, I survived photo bucket's hostage situation. No real progress has been made on the Celica. I've put a couple hundred miles on the car over the summer. I've just been enjoying the car, but I now know that it will need a few things before driving again.

_DSC5081 by k Gent, on Flickr

I had a "spirited" drive on some tough type roads after a local meet. When I was running the road downhill I noticed my brakes were slowly going. I thought it was just the brakes getting too hot and fading. It turns out that I lost all my brake fluid somewhere. I either blew a line or something. I'm probably going to pull the master cylinder and brake booster tonight.
            sigpic

Comment

Looks good! I don't love the plastidip wheels but as you said, it comes off easily. These cars a super cool, they look like mini Japanese muscle cars.

Comment

Originally posted by mslevin View Post
                Looks good! I don't love the plastidip wheels but as you said, it comes off easily. These cars a super cool, they look like mini Japanese muscle cars.
                I agree. The plastidip is not my favorite look and I don't really like it, but its just temporary until I can afford to rebuild my "new" wheels.
                sigpic

Comment

Alright after spending some hours in the garage tonight I found the culprit of the bad brakes.

_DSC5187 by k Gent, on Flickr

First off, the brake reservoirs were completely empty except for some gunk that was caught in the screen. Definitely not something you want to see on a weekend warrior.

Then I checked all the brake lines and found that one of the fittings wasn't sealed completely. Thus causing a leak in the front left corner.

_DSC5199 by k Gent, on Flickr

_DSC5206 by k Gent, on Flickr

I still wasn't completely convinced that a leak like that caused all of the brake fluid to come out that fast.

_DSC5213 by k Gent, on Flickr

Tore apart the brake booster and nothing was to be found. So now all I have to do is check the rear wheel cylinders and see if those are leaking. I didn't want to deal with drum brakes tonight so that will have to happen tomorrow.

_DSC5195 by k Gent, on Flickr

Also this stuff works wonders on 40+ year old nuts and bolts.
                  Last edited by Golden Gramps; 10-09-2017, 09:59 PM. Reason: messed up a photo link
                  sigpic

Comment

God damn I love these Celicas, glad you figured out the brake situation

Comment

Originally posted by Greasy63 View Post
                      God damn I love these Celicas, glad you figured out the brake situation
                      They are definitely some of the cooler old cars to come out of Japan!

Well with the case of the Celica, it is more of a one step forward two steps backward deal. I got everything settled with the brakes and they feel better than ever. I was on my way down to the SouthrnFresh show. I stopped to fill up on gas and long story short, one of the seals of the gas tank decided to end its 40+ year old life and dumped a fair amount of gas in the trunk.

Untitled by k Gent, on Flickr

Thank god for the rust holes in the trunk acting as drain plugs and luckily the gas station had kitty litter on hand. So I'll attempt to find a new seal, but for now I made a gas resistant gasket from some sort of permatex. So far it has held up since Saturday.
                      Last edited by Golden Gramps; 11-11-2018, 12:41 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

So I did a thing...

Celica Diff by k Gent, on Flickr

I decided I was over the whole "one tire fryer" life and welded up the diff.

Celica Diff by k Gent, on Flickr

As soon as I put the last bolt in the diff I realized I didn't take a single picture of the welds, but you'll have to trust me until I can lay down a good burnie..
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice! I’ve been dying for some good fun in my e34 too but it’s my daily right now so I really shouldn’t lol
                          So I reall

Comment

Man i cant wait to add a RA24 to my collection! sweet build man!

Comment

Originally posted by Greasy63 View Post
                              Nice! I’ve been dying for some good fun in my e34 too but it’s my daily right now so I really shouldn’t lol
                              So I reall
                              Personally I wouldn't weld a diff in any daily at all unless you like buying tires often but... when the e34 becomes a fun car I highly recommend it!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dat_Yota View Post
                                Man i cant wait to add a RA24 to my collection! sweet build man!

Thanks dude! Still a major W.I.P. but still fun regardless. Hopefully you can get one soon before the prices start jumping up.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X