Slightly Warped Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly Warped Wheel

After installing my SSR Vienna Courages, a week later after driving I noticed a slight vibration on the rear driver side of my car. Looked in my rear view mirror to look at the wheel and it seemed like the wheel was warped while I drove down. I took it to a friend's shop and slapped it on the balancer and it read that it was 0.50 off. We added a weight and it came out 0.0, but when being spun, you could see the wheel slightly pull outward (left to right) & after driving it a bit I could still feel a slight vibration or slight hop when driving.

Someone told me I could just rebuild (as I was intending to rebuild this wheelset) with a new inner and outer barrel but my main concern is... if the wheel is warped does that make the face of the wheel warped as well deeming it not useable/ safe to rebuild with new hardware and new barrels? Is it possible to rebuild?

OR

Is it still possible to straighten the wheel through any repair process?

AND

with a very slight hop, can it still be driven on or safer to remove the wheel off the car to prevent further damage?

Please bare with me as I'm somewhat new to this. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

The first step would be find out what is out of spec. Center or lip/barrel.
    Dismount the tire, affix a dial indicator and measure runout(lateral and radial).
    This would be radial:

Lateral:

You can do the same with a face, if you pull it out of the wheel.
    It is unlikely that a face is warped, but it can happen. Good luck.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
      The first step would be find out what is out of spec. Center or lip/barrel.
      Dismount the tire, affix a dial indicator and measure runout(lateral and radial).
      This would be radial:

Lateral:

You can do the same with a face, if you pull it out of the wheel.
      It is unlikely that a face is warped, but it can happen. Good luck.

Thank you zoo, I'll be taking the wheel to a professional repair shop this week to get further evaluation on the wheel itself. Hoping the face isn't warped... I really would like to keep this to relip.

Comment

Working...
      X