No announcement yet.

Daily Driven 1.8T Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving this build. What kind of wheels are you looking into next? And what is next on your list for mods?

Comment

Originally posted by dtch View Post
      What kind of wheels are you looking into next? And what is next on your list for mods?
      As for wheels, I am going to start simple but strong; I'm ordering a set of 1pc Rotiform KPS wheels in matte/gloss black, with a spec set of 18x8.5et35 squared. I really like the look of that wheel and I REALLY would love to own the forged 3pc set of them but I just can't see myself spending near 5K on wheels and tires.

As for tires, I think I am going to use a set of 215/35 on them to get some stretch and clearance when I air out. I am looking to tuck all the wheels and I am going to be trying out some different spacers on them to maybe even get some fender to lip action going on. I will always want to tuck the fronts, though.

As for future mods, oh lord, I have so much I want to do.

I'm picking up some OEM glass lens headlights with fog lights this weekend hopefully on the cheap, but at some point (maybe after H2Oi) I want to get some really nice VX Tuning headlights. I'm still working out the specifics of the lights.

I am definitely going to be getting side skirts next to clean up the sides a bit and get the car to look lower, and possibly even get an Optikworks votex rep rear bumper with paint. I would be super happy if I can get those done before H2Oi so I have something worthy in my eyes of going down this year. If I have the time and money, I may even spring for a badgless R32 rep front from the same company as well. I've always loved how aggressive those fronts look. I also want to fix up some of the interior bits with some 20th/R32 radio trim, door trims. Also want to redo my pillars and headliner too, along with some GLI trim stuff for that as well.

After H2Oi, I am planning on getting some Driveshaft Shop upgraded axles and then starting my big turbo build. I'll be going to a u-pull yard in PA to grab an AWP head with no cams and do some work on it, putting in an upgraded valvetrain. I'll also be getting Integrated Engineering drop in rods, new wrist pins and bearings and new piston rings and getting the cyls honed to bring the compression back up.

After that, I'm looking to do a top mount big turbo with a GT3071R. I'm going to start with 630cc injectors since that's a common tune to get running but I may be looking into doing a standalone setup as well. Possibly Lugtronic or AEM Infinity with 1000cc injectors.

@cmdshft
      2003 VW GTI 1.8T Silverstone
      Air Lift 3P / Eurocustoms Stg 2 K03s

Comment

Face down, ass up...

Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:14 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Sorry for the lack of interesting content.

I figured I would tackle this mysterious hesitation I have been having while boosting. At first I thought it was the turbo giving me an issue because it's been leaking like usual so I figured that might be it, but someone in the BATMK4S facebook group pointed me to the MAF after asking what filter I had installed. I had a K&N filter and remembered that it's oiled... Which is a no go for our MAFs, the oil contaminates them and throws off the readings...

So I ordered an AEM filter and a new Bosche MAF and got them installed around lunch time. I reset the ECU to get it to re-learn with the new sensor and took the GTI for a rip around lower New York state, through Seven Lakes area. I took a look at the scan tool and it had already adapted fuel trims which was by far the fastest it's done so recently. Looking at 1.5% STFT and 5.5% LTFT so far, which is better than it was on the old sensor. I even took a look at MB100 and saw that some of the monitors already set themselves to pass. Interestingly, before this new sensor, the only monitors that wouldn't pass were the SAI and catalytic efficiency monitor. The cat has passed, I'm waiting for the evap to pass and we'll see if the SAI will pass. The evap usually does pass, so I am thinking it will and I am hoping by the end of the week the SAI will set to pass after a few cold start cycles (all these are deleted physically though).

I've been working a shit ton of overtime. I work EMS so I do 12 hour shifts as it is, so my work week is just 3 days long. Since we have a bi-weekly pay cycle, I've picked up 5 days of OT this period alone... So hopefully I will be getting a lot more done on the GTI before H2Oi comes along than just wheels and tires as I had originally planned. Very excited for the next few months.

Here's a pic posted up by my favorite pizza shop in Cornwall, NY.

Here's a tease of something very cool coming in Sept to the GTI:

I've also ordered some Depo large style projector headlights with glass lenses and projector fogs as well, but only because VX Tuning is sold out of headlights and wont have their Gen 2 headlights ready for sale by H2Oi. I'll also be picking up a set of LED H7 bulbs for them as well.

Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:15 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

headlights are really going to clean up the front end, cant wait to see them on
            Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Me too, buuuuut...

Was leaving home from work tonight and I work until midnight... Got on the highway and started to smell HEAVY fuel in the cabin...

I pulled over and saw fuel everywhere on the FPR side of things, so I thought I had a bum FPR. I didn't have a tow service so my coworker who had the day off had to come let me use his and after several hours of waiting I finally got it home.

I opened the hood and had him turn the key for me... And fuel sprayed from the injector closest to the transmission side. No fuel was coming from the FPR.

Took a closer look at it and saw this...

Looks like the retaining clip came loose somehow and the fuel rail slid off the o-ring or something. I'm not sure, but the rail bolt to the manifold may be loose or stripped... I did notice I could still spin it a bit but the rail felt pretty snug so I thought I was good. It still feels pretty snug even now, so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it. It's probably because the clip came loose so I have to figure out the proper way to get the clips to go back on and hold correctly.

If I get that all sorted, I'll hopefully be back on the road and also have my headlights installed as well by night and will check them out and post pics.
              Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:16 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Headlights came in today. Photos don't do them justice, these look amazing in person.

I just have to wait until night to really see how they look and do some adjustments and see where things line up. I'm really hoping the output is acceptable. Either way, I can't wait to order LEDs for them, but I will still be ordering the Gen 2 VX lights after H2Oi because I know those will be mad boss.

As for the fuel issue, it was 100% my fault. I installed replacement o-rings on the injectors and when I seated them, I pushed them too far into the fuel rail and the clips never were put on properly. I readjusted the injectors and got the clips on properly now and things seem to be kosher now.
                Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:18 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

I'm really happy with these headlights. I got Depo brand lights, I did hear that they may or may not have been great but these seem to be pretty good compared to back in 2010...

I was able to properly adjust them and I can see the road pretty well. Can't really complain anyway for what I paid for them. The glass lens is really nice, doesn't seem to be fogging either. I'm not going to run the fog lights though, I am not a big fan of how the wiring harness is setup for that, very unclean. For some reason, I also now have hyperflash with the turn signals but not the hazards.

I'll still be ordering from VX like I said, these will do nicely until then.

Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:20 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Damn those headlights really cleaned up the front end, I would switch to amber city lights but thats just me. I always wanted to do the dual turn signals and delete the fogs back from my mk4 days.
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Today was shit.

Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:21 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Great to see another bagged vw!

Comment

Hey man just an FYI don't use photobucket anymore. They're charging for linked images.

Comment

Below, I was trying to get my wheel bearings done. Discovered there was play in the hubs when I did the air suspension install. You can see that it wasn't going as planned. I had to use an air hammer to get the axle un-stuck from the hub.

I got a new head unit finally, this one has CarPlay capabilities and I definitely splurged after getting my last one stolen.

Air hammered out the rail above the tie rods, now they don't hit the frame.

Am I low? Surprisingly this is how low I am on stock subframe, stock GTI LCAs and spindles. Even though I just did wheel bearings, I am still considering getting R32 spindles and LCAs with an IDF subframe and combine it all with some mount spacers.

Scored these wheels with brand new tired for $300USD.

Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 01:41 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Thats a hell of a deal, nice score
                              Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Yes, I couldn’t pass that up at all. The car they were on was headed to the scrapper due to being in a crash and then later an engine mount failed and that totaled the car for insurance.

Today I took apart the fuel pump assembly because i’ve been having issues with no torque response periodically when my tank was below 1/4. As per DW, they said to check for issues with the o-rings first.

I took the pot out of the tank and noticed that the top section had two clips disconnected, one on the side and one on the rear behind the bracket which holds the pot to the top where the lines and harness clip to. I still took it all apart to check the o-rings, none are swollen or cracked so I reassembled it all back together.

I’m thinking since the 2 clips weren’t connected, the lower pot was able to spill fuel out and it also wasn’t sealing the top of the pot to the fuel pump o-ring. Thinking I was losing pressure from that? We’ll see what happens over the next few days when I run it under 1/4 tank.

@cmdshft

Comment

Working...
                                X