No announcement yet.

Daily Driven 1.8T Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuner says ECU is likely shot, doesn't think reflash will fix it.

75 quid for a replacement ECU and my tune installed on it. I'm down for that. This will be my second ECU, tuner believes that maybe the O2 sensor died internally and somehow took out the ECU with it when I started getting the O2 code on and off.

Also ordered a new throttle body wiring connector to replace mine which has a broken clip so it doesn't seal against moisture well currently. Should stop getting EPC issues when washing/raining/really wet.

@cmdshft
    2003 VW GTI 1.8T Silverstone
    Air Lift 3P / Eurocustoms Stg 2 K03s

Comment

Sorry for the lack of any updates whatsoever to anyone who's actually paying attention to this thread. I've had to deal with a lot of adult related stuff...

But, there is some stuff I can post.

Further testing on the replacement ECU show that it's passing all monitors after a week or two except for the SAI and catalytic converter monitors, making me believe that the rear O2 sensor directly controls the SAI testing as well. I had put a new exhaust in and when I had the shop install it, I asked them to not lose the spacer that I had for the rear O2 sensor... Well, guess what? They never moved that spacer onto the new exhaust. Since I never realized it and never had to clear codes or reset anything since then, I always saw that the monitors were still passed so I let it be. I did a VCDS test on the catalytic converter system (even though I have a test pipe) so I could read what the sensor was seeing and it was .77 on the reading, passing the test has to be lower than .50, so I am assuming that's why it wont pass the two tests. So I ordered a new spacer and will try installing that soon and see what happens.

I also haven't had time to install the air suspension still. I am hoping that my friend can get me on the lift the end of next week. I still have to measure up the rear hatch area and buy wood and stuff to get it all mounted. Hopefully I'll have all that done in 2 days. Can't wait to hear it running and see where I am height wise all aired out. Then I can focus on ordering wheels.

I also had the unfortunate pleasure of someone hitting my driver side fender and bending it inward. I'll post a photo later on, it's not terrible but hopefully a little PDR can take care of it.

@cmdshft

Comment

Hopefully, this Saturday I will be getting the air suspension finally installed. So today, I started to mock up some stuff.

This is how I truly wanted things to be mounted.

But as I did some measuring, I realized it might be a bit more difficult. The upside is that I had a false floor already made and partially installed, the downside is that since I didn't design and build it myself, I had to work with someone else's sloppy measurements and hope it all works out.

Part of the problem was that the rear-seat replacement side floor was only supported close to the drive/pass seats and not supported by anything in the rear section of it. So I had to measure up the height I needed.

I got some wood and cut up small supports with L-brackets and got really lucky that they held up exactly as I needed them too where I screwed them in at.

I also realized that my leader line from the comp is kinda short. So I had to turn the tank around and because the person who built the floor put the support section on at an angle instead of straight, there was less room on the left of the tank than the right, so I had to put the comp on the other side. No big deal really.

Here's the simple support I made for the hatch section of the floor. As you can tell, I am still intending to use the wheel tub for storage space and where the manifold is in the photo I will also have space for stuff if need be. So I am not losing too much space, actually.

This is how I am thinking of mounting up the manifold on the rear board. Airlift says this is okay, so I will go with it. Will give me the ability to reduce any kinks in the lines because mounting it on the board like the previous pics would really strain the air lines and that's an obvious no-no.

It's not perfect because of that little gap but really don't have any other choice right now really. But, this is all temporary until I can figure out a better setup down the road. I will also be fixing up the carpeting a bit so there wont be any wrinkles and I will also be shaving down the sides of that half so it's not so damn tight trying to lift it up to access the stuff under it.

I'm definitely thinking of going with a more professional floor install that can accommodate the tank, comp and manifold and possibly some hard lines too, maybe even a simple display window as well. But that's another day.
        Last edited by cmdshft; 08-24-2017, 11:43 PM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Trunk setup isnt bad, be ready to want to redo it multiple times. I know in my old GLI I redid mine 5 times lol.
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

I cant wait to see this thing planted

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
              Trunk setup isnt bad, be ready to want to redo it multiple times. I know in my old GLI I redid mine 5 times lol.
              Yeah, I got the floor from someone else so I am just working with what I have the best I can do. I eventually want to go through a place called EuroKreations to get some nice floor work done with the tank setup. Possibly hardlines as well with a nice display for the manifold or something. Not sure yet. Been trying to look up other people's designs for inspiration.

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
              I cant wait to see this thing planted
              You and me both! This was supposed to be done months ago buuuuut people got sketch so I had to wait.

@cmdshft

Comment

Random air suspension installation pics part 1

To be continued.
                Last edited by cmdshft; 08-24-2017, 11:57 PM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Part 2

I think that honestly, my favorite part of this whole install was where we hid the manifold. I didn't have a CD-changer but I did have the bracket so it was a no-brainer to put it there away from everything else. We also turned the battery around up front and ran the compressor connections to the body and to the fuse panel and hid it all off to the side. Very clean setup for the most part.

Up next is to flip the tie-rods, do wheel bearings (I have play up and down in both wheels at the hub... yay), IDF control arms and centering plates, flatten the pinch welds above the wheels in the fender, remove the rear fender liner and ultimately get new wheels and tires.
                  Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:11 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Install looks great, good choice on hiding the manifold up there
                    Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
                      Install looks great, good choice on hiding the manifold up there
                      Thank you, and yeah that is my favorite part of the install.

I fixed the sagging top section in the rear by the door with a little spray glue and changed the rear half of the false floor to a plaid design. It's a little off center because I had to trim off a portion of the side because it was extremely difficult to take in and out and would not lift easily. I don't really care too much because I will end up changing it up at some point in time.

Drove to 7 Lakes Drive park in New York and got this decent shot.

I have a few maintenance things to take care of, I'll be putting in new wheel bearings and changing the fuel pressure regulator because there is a really strange hissing noise coming from the fuel rail area when the fuel pump primes... After that, a trip to Maine for VAGFair with some friends and then I'll be getting some exterior bits from Optikworks which I am extremely excited about.
                      Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:12 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Eurgh, this is so damn beautiful man.
                        IG: @sebastienaudeon
                        1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                        *pats Sebs head*
                        there there.
                        keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
                          Eurgh, this is so damn beautiful man.
                          Hehe, it would be better if I had all the supporting low mods done already and didn't have curbed wheels on... But soon, it will be much better.
                          Last edited by cmdshft; 05-18-2017, 01:12 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

I picked up a replacement fender for the GTI for US$60 from a friend. Working in todays 95°F weather in the beating sun royally sucked but I didn't have another good day coming until Tuesday so I had no choice.

Took off the old fender and I decided to beat down flat the pinch weld.

After I did that, I did the other side as well. Between all the breaks I had to take due to the heat (not having my own garage sucks), it took me a few hours.

I also hunted down the leak in the tank, I replaced the air tool connector with a 3/8" plug and then decided to crank down all the other fittings. I changed my tank max pressure back down to 175psi and so far it's holding at 172psi now. We'll see how much it leaks over night.

I also ordered a new OEM fuel pressure regulator and some fuel injector o-rings and will install them on Tuesday.
                            Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:13 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

So damn good!
                              IG: @sebastienaudeon
                              1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                              *pats Sebs head*
                              there there.
                              keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Posted up at Clean Culture today. I detest (filter wont let me say h a t e) my headlights, I can't wait to order the glass lenses.

Last edited by cmdshft; 08-25-2017, 12:13 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Working...
                                X