No announcement yet.

Daily Driven 1.8T Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks good homie, comfort levels are overrated though!

Originally posted by BozoBubble
    Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

Comment

Haha, I agree but this is my daily and I got other responsibilities to handle so I don't want to always be breaking stuff from being slammed.

@cmdshft
      2003 VW GTI 1.8T Silverstone
      Air Lift 3P / Eurocustoms Stg 2 K03s

Comment

Threw the 20mm's back on because the 10mm's I was sent, one had a bad warp to them so I am being sent a new set. But, I think it looks good with the 20mm's.

@cmdshft

Comment

So H2Oi was an interesting weekend.

Then, after having to drive through some puddles (read: road lakes) due to all the bad weather, I had the car parked in our condo garage area. An R32 and my buddies S4 were 2-stepping because we all couldn't get out to go cruise the strip and wanted to make some shenanigans happen, so I decided to join in.

Well, I destroyed the upstream oxygen sensor in the process. Found out the next morning when I went to go drive it. Parked it in a parking lot and then picked up a new sensor. The old one sounded like a baby rattle. After replacing it, the car drove fine for about 20 minutes and then decided it wanted to go into EPC hard limp mode. Had a throttle related code, so I assumed the ECU was dead. I managed to get in contact with someone with an ECU on hand and could also swap over my tune to the ECU as well.

Took the car for a spin with the new ECU and 20 minutes later, the car went into EPC hard limp mode again. Thankfully, that means the old ECU was fine. So I took the ECU back out, inspected all the wiring, cleaned up all the connections with electrical cleaner and cleaned the engine with some brake cleaner and WD-40 on all the parts that had water touch them from the lakes in the road and massive rain. Took it for a drive and the car was perfect.

Partied my ass off at the condo to celebrate.

Day of the show, I went to leave and made it about 6 blocks from the condo and I went to take off and I hit a bump and snapped my driver side inner CV cage apart.

Took that shit apart on the side of the road.

If you never heard what a failed axel sounds like, this is it:

Back together.

Because it took me a while to get it done, I didn't get to make the show so I cruised around and met up with some friends.

One last bootay shot at the condo.

@cmdshft

Comment

Wow, I haven't updated this thread in a while.

Not much has really changed over the last few months.

Did some maintenance stuff, I developed a bit of a clunk that I thought was attributed to a few things, although I now believe I had this issue for a while since I lowered the car more but never paid attention to it until recently and it drives me nuts.

I swapped out the passenger side axle finally which was bad. The inner CV had almost come out, there was a decent amount of slop play to it. New one in and that took away a lot of the noise, but it was still there.

Also installed ECS engine and trans mounts.

I changed out the BFI Stage 2 dogbone mount to see if that cleared it up. Unfortunately... had some issues.

Here's the new one, the ECS performance mount. 70A bushings and a teflon lines stainless steel spherical trans side bearing.

Stripped a bolt out of the trans and had to drive an hour away to a friend's house to drill out the hole and the dogbone bushing to fit a step up size bolt.

New golf ball shifter installed.

New touchscreen radio.

Last edited by cmdshft; 08-24-2017, 11:36 PM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

classy, and quality modifications so far, strong work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Some goodies arrived in the post today...

Last edited by cmdshft; 08-24-2017, 11:38 PM.

@cmdshft

Comment

hell yea homie!!! cant wait for real lows

Originally posted by BozoBubble
                    Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

Comment

Originally posted by storey618 View Post
                      hell yea homie!!! cant wait for real lows
                      I'm very excited but unfortunately, it will likely be a few weeks before I can actually get around to installing. I picked up so many overtime shifts over the next few weeks... Gonna be tough. Might have to do it in parts, electrical and management mounting first one Sunday and then the actual bags and air lines another.

@cmdshft

Comment

I've finally had enough of my sway bar rubbing and banging the axle, especially since that now it's been very warm out it's seemingly doing it more and more. Tomorrow I will be taking the angle grinder to it.

@cmdshft

Comment

So I was going to attempt to run through my state inspection for a new sticker and see if I could pass without my cat installed, since I am lowered they may not have been able to tell...

Well, since I live in NJ, I am not required to go through a visual inspection of emissions equipment, just an OBD scan and as long as I have no codes (including pending codes) and only one monitor failed/not ready, I pass.

I checked my car through VCDS to see what the readiness was, expecting to see all pass like always... Except this time, I had several "Not Ready/Failed" monitors.

I had been dealing with an occasional upstream O2 sensor code relating to the heater circuit being below performance and my car was not doing the SAI cycle all the time on cold starts, just going right to high idle and then slowly coming down over time. My vac readings when the SAI cycle wasn't running was my normal idle reading of -20/-22. When the SAI cycle did run, it's usually -15 until it's done and then goes to -20 to -22.

I replaced the O2 sensor and it seems that it's been doing the SAI cycle more consistently now but I am still unable to get the readiness to go through. I cleared codes about 140 miles ago and still nothing.

I decided to take a look at Measuring Block 032 in VCDS and I noticed that after the same 140 miles, my long term fuel trim was still at 0%... Then I remembered that my tune is setup so that in order to pass NJ inspection, the tune has to allow the monitors to pass "naturally" and so I have to use resistors to allow the system to "see" the "hardware" that doesn't exist and adapt trims... Since I am not adapting trims apparently, I suspect my issue lies in a failed resistor. Saw the other day that one of them was bent pretty bad (I have the plug and play ones from Urotuning) but didn't think anything of it.

Now I am going to order 2 new ones where the SAI would plug into and see what happens.

@cmdshft

Comment

While I am waiting for my resistors, I decided to start working on the false floor and mock up where I want the air tank to be. I managed to sell my rear seats to a friend for $50 who also gave me his extended false floor. I re-upholstered it with some better fabric and reinforced the setup with brackets. I have the other half as well but since I am going to most likely end up cutting the wood to fit the tank better, I didn't upholster it the way I want yet.

Last edited by cmdshft; 08-24-2017, 11:39 PM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Oh so keen to see this all come together, gotta get over there for H20i this year somehow!
                              IG: @sebastienaudeon
                              1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
                              *pats Sebs head*
                              there there.
                              keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

The plot thickens. I may be in for a new ECU again...

I replaced the resistors and nothing changed...

I took the battery cables off for a few hours today to try and hard reset the ECU.

I reinstalled the cables, did a throttle body adaptation and then sat and waited to see if any adjustment occurred. None actually occurred even after running for about 45 minutes at idle.

I turned the car off and cleared out the ECU again with the scan tool and then did another TBA, sat and let it idle again and the idle trim came up to 2.60%. I drove the car for about another half hour and pulled over to check trims. Long term trim was still at 0%...

I reset the ECU and did another TBA again and instead of letting it sit, I started to drive it again... The idle trim topped out at 1.12% and the long term trim came up and stopped at 7.81%. No further up or down adjustment on either trim occurred. This was after about 5 minutes of driving.

I did the same procedure again and the trims stopped about the same again and also stopped after about 5 minutes of driving.

I am going to go out to the tuner's shop in PA again this week and have them look at it and maybe run some logs and possibly reflash the ECU and then log some more data and see what the issue might be. Hoping the issue is the tune and not the ECU itself...

@cmdshft

Comment

Working...
                                X