Daily Driven 1.8T Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

New sidemarkers came in yesterday but idk when I’ll be able to get them installed because I’m definitely going to have to resplice those wires to my harness.

@cmdshft
    2003 VW GTI 1.8T Silverstone
    Air Lift 3P / Eurocustoms Stg 2 K03s

Comment

Decided to install them on the car right after work (midnight end of shift) and these look so good on the car. The color is nice and bright at night and isn't a terrible quality, they diffuse very nicely and fully across the whole light. I'll take a shot of the car with them on before work.

@cmdshft

Comment

Now I'm on the hunt for some 1" motor mount spacers because i've spontaneously developed axel bind at my low preset ride height (30R/30L:25R/25L) when turning right, so I assume it's the driver side axle that is binding. My friend has all the bolts I would need, just need to get some washers and the plates for the 2 mounts.

Problem and reason I am using washers for the dogbone is because I have an ECS dogbone mount, the upgraded (and expensive one) that has a bigger steel and teflon bearing on the trans side of the mount, so the kit spacers wont work for me because the bearing sits higher above the mount than the OEM bushing would. That and I also had to tap and die the trans as I showed in the past posts, so the bolt I am running is slightly larger and I had to drill out the bearing a bit to fit the new bolt. So I have to find washers that fit over the larger bolt as well.

I wish I could remember the dimensions of the bolt but I do believe the friend that has the bolts has the same one I do as he had to do the same tap and die on his trans. So I will just take that to home depot and buy a ton of washers that fit.

@cmdshft

Comment

Posted up in front of the gf's apartment. Need new fenders and bumpers/skirts so bad.

@cmdshft

Comment

Is so nice. Makes me miss my mk4 for sure!
            IG: @sebastienaudeon
            1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
            *pats Sebs head*
            there there.
            keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

You should and with the police very lax for suspensions, you should do so even more!

@cmdshft

Comment

Just a small update. I don't have any pics of the install but I put in motor mount spacers finally, went with 1" spacers. I ended up having some issues with the bolt holes where I had to tap new holes and go with bigger bolts and also had to helicoil a rail mount hole. Other than that, they are holding great. It's the first step in correcting the suspension geometry.

I previously teased a shot of a PCB with a VW tag on them... Well, here is what it was for!

@cmdshft

Comment

damn that cluster looks amazing
                  Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Thank you sir! I'm going to put a small youtube video together outlining some of the features possibly tomorrow and I will post it here. Getting that exhaust leak fixed tomorrow so I don't suffocate in my car idling... Plus the downpipe needs a new bolt hole tapped because one of the stud holes is fubard and wont get snug now. Good times.

@cmdshft

Comment

• A post shared by cmdshft (@cmdshft) on

@cmdshft

Comment

• Well documented progression with this build. Keep it up, quality work so far!
                        Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                        and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                        S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

• accidental double post
                          Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                          and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                          S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

• Hey guys. Sorry, been MIA, not much has really gone on with the GTI since I did the ColorMFA install. I have some updates now.

I picked up some R32 LCAs and spindles with new bushings and 5spd hubs+wheel bearings. Nothing too fancy.

Ordered and picked up a 1" sectioned subframe to go with it. None of these parts have been installed and with the need to adult lately, they likely wont go in for a while until I can find time to do it.

I also recently had to do a timing belt and water pump job. I went with the IE manual tensioner setup and it's amazing. I got sent the black bracket, though. I needed the work done so I didn't fuss about it not being red lol.

I've also been chasing an air leak from the air tank in the car, I sprayed everything down at first and couldn't find the leak. I had heard about AirLift's tanks not being the best because of all the welds they have so I replaced it with a Seamless brand air tank. It's a really beautiful tank and I am glad that I got it.

However, this did not solve my air tank pressure dropping. I replaced the water trap with one from SMC. Still nadda. I had replaced the Viair check valve with an SMC one as well, apparently either I got a bad valve or the compressor is gumming it up somehow and causing it to stick open, because I can hear air through the compressor inlet. So I am waiting on a new check valve and a new leader line from AirLift under warranty.

In the meantime, I also just received my custom headlights from VX Tuning in Texas. Mike was very helpful in explaining all the stuff available. I picked up a sweet set of full LED retrofits with demon eyes and glass lenses. They are cool as fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Old lens on right, new VXT light on the left. I love how they look.

A post shared by cmdshft (@cmdshft) on

Here is an output test. Fogs, main beam and high beams in that order.

A post shared by cmdshft (@cmdshft) on

Here's some quick shots I took today.

@cmdshft

Comment

• Nice Build, the VXT light are very nicely,

I subscribe on your thread
                              - VW Polo 6N OpenAir on Exip mesh wheels

- Austin Mini mayfair 1985

Instagram: oscar_polow

Comment

• Contacted Mike at VX Tuning and told him I was having issues with the main beam LEDs flickering with just the demon eyes on and that only one of the demon eyes would shut off when turning the main beams on fully.

He suggested that it was an issue due to the new "kill wire" that Morimoto introduced in the Profile Prism driver and suggested that I disconnect that wire and see what happens. That wire is the black wire in the photo with the purple/blue connector. Disconnecting it did indeed resolve the LED flicker issue but now, as is the norm with 99% of all other demon eye kits, the eyes stay on when the main beam goes on. I actually don't mind this so this is a non-issue.

Today my friend at Eurocustoms remote tuned my ECU with an updated file that supports overrun (aka the exhaust pops and crackles you get on deceleration). Very cool thing, I must say.

I also managed to finally solve my air tank leak for the suspension. New compressor head and a new check valve and it's good as new.

@cmdshft

Comment

Working...
                                X