• Show
Clear All

So delicious.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Looks like my 1/4 tank fuel issue was solved simply by reclipping the pot together. I am very happy about this, car power also seems to have come back up.

I decided to look into the oil burning issue a bit more. The issue, to recall, is that the car will randomly and inconsistently consume oil and will come out the exhaust as white smoke. Coolant consumption is not occurring. I deduced that the issue must be one of two things, either the turbo is bad and the CHRA needs to be replaced or the issue was the car is overfilled with oil.

As I run a hybrid pan, I've always just put in the full 5qt container because capacity is about 4.7qts so I figure the extra .3 wouldn't actually hurt. I recently changed the oil and I had to take the car to the local lube shop to have the filter replaced because for the life of me, I couldn't knock the old one loose. So I am sure I lost some fresh oil because of it, I never added any oil after this was done.

Today I decided to see if the issue was caused by overfilling and upon inspecting the dipstick... The result is not the one I was actually hoping for. The oil level was within spec. So, this means that my issue is either now the turbo itself or the oil return line has some kind of issue.

Here's my dilemma. Should I bother touching both the oil return and the CHRA for peace of mind, or just send it the way it is until I can get my engine rebuilt and then go bigger turbo and not waste my time/money on a temporary fix for a semi-annoying issue? I just don't want it to get to the point where it's like a steam train going down the road when it's cold out, nothing's worse than scrambling to fix things in the winter.

=================================

Hopefully if my finances all work out, I'll be sending the GTI off to the wheel shop for a few days to get the wheels refinished/repaired. They all have some curb-age on them, one may slightly be bent due to a minor car accident on the previous owners vehicle so a friend of mine will fix all that and then powder coat them as well for about 400 quid. I'll also see if they will ceramic coat them to make them easier to wash from salt and brake dust.

After that, I'll hopefully start ordering my outside body panels. I doubt that I will have them painted and installed by H2O, though. Oh well. I'm likely only driving down for 2 days and 1 night anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@cmdshft
      2003 VW GTI 1.8T Silverstone
      Air Lift 3P / Eurocustoms Stg 2 K03s

Comment

holy mod list

Comment

lookin good man!

Comment

@cmdshft

Comment

Discovered this nice leak after getting to work.

Inspection showed the leak was coming down the side of the tank, so I promptly removed my false flooring and fuel pump access cover to find fuel everywhere. I figured it came from the fuel return since I had recently done the fuel pump, must not have secured it properly, causing it to come loose enough to leak fuel onto the top of the pump. I made sure the pump assembly was installed into the tank properly, secured it tight with the lock ring and made sure all the lines were properly secured.

So far, so good. Car has it's power back as well. Feels good.

Ordered a set of these kick ass looking side indicator lights as well. Should arrive in 2 weeks.

Monday I am dropping the car off to my friend's powder coating shop for a few days, getting the wheels done as well.

@cmdshft

Comment

Those side markers are cool, never saw them before.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Yeah, I never seen them before either so I had to get them.

Been having an issue with my silicone reducer coupler from the turbo outlet to the upper charge pipe. It's a 1.75" to 2.5" coupler. The 1.75" side has been slipping out of the clamp and has come undone from the turbo 2 times in the last month.

I figure this may have something to do with some oil vapors from the catch can I have, from IE. It's a VTA setup. With my stiffer mounts, I think it may be vibrating out of the clamp despite the bead edge on the turbo outlet.

I ordered a new coupler and a new clamp, hopefully that will resolve my issue. Can't keep having to unplug my MAF every time it pops off just so I can drive it safely off the road to fix it.

@cmdshft

Comment

Just dropped off the GTI to my local powder coating shop. If you're in North NJ and you need powder work done as well as any wheel repair including bent wheels, curb rash, blasting/sanding then go to Static Coatings in Clifton and see my friend's Tom and Veronika. They'll hook you up.

They were very excited to do the work I need because they get a lot of very bland color work, which unfortunately, most people are cheap and don't know about STYLE. They said the color style I picked will pop really well with the Silverstone paint. And given that these wheels are temporary anyway until I finish the big turbo and trans build next year, this will work very well for me.

I really can't wait to pick the car up on Wednesday, I'll have to break out the good camera and get some shots.

@cmdshft

Comment

pumped to see the new color
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Here's a few tease shots from the shop.

Before/after for the repairs:

And here is the first layer laid down, color will happen when the clear activates it.

@cmdshft

Comment

Looks Great! Wheel repair out here in cali is kind of absurdly expensive, from the quotes ive gathered. Great looking build dude!
                          -Bagged 2012 Fiat 500-

Comment

I paid under $450 to get this work done for all 4 wheels. So I am happy as hell. I'll post the final color pics and pics of them on the car tomorrow. Very excited to see how this comes out.

@cmdshft

Comment

And here is the final product. They look way better in person!

Some people were saying it looks like it has bad orange peel but I think it's all the flake affecting the photo honestly, because in person, you cannot see or feel any clumping or lumps of powder at all. Photos really don't do it justice, this is a see in person kind of color.
                              Last edited by cmdshft; 09-14-2017, 01:11 AM.

@cmdshft

Comment

Good color choice, hope to see this in person someday.
                                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X