No announcement yet.

Offset ain't everything.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a couple E36's, but I approve this thread! looking forward to updates.

@projects_always

Comment

GTR Bonnet.

Look into AirRex Struts, they may have something for the R34.

Also look into AirRunner. Both expensive, but, I've had good experiences with AirRex.

Hadt hem on my MKV GTI, 987.1 Cayman, and now my W204 C63.

Best of luck!

Comment

Well fuck.

This's been coming for a long time. Lemme catch you up on what's been going on over the past year and why there's been a lack of updates.

The TL;DR version is: I've simply done fuck all on the cars.

The full version is as of the following:

Last time I've posted was just before the cars have arrived at the port in Zeebrügge, Belgium.

The cars finally arrived, we loaded em up and hauled them back home. After a clusterfuck of paperwork we had em properly taxed and everything was taken care of. As a side note: If you're in Europe and you import a vehicle from Japan, you're best off shipping it directly to the destination country. We were idiots and shipped it to Belgium because that port was closer to us than Bremerhaven, but in hindsight that was a dick of a decision.

In the beginning we were rather motivated thinking we'd get shit done quickly so we got to work on both cars. Plan was to black out the interior on both as well as fixing up the body kit that came with the X81.

But Tom does nothing before making sure that the rev limiter is working.

I've gone ahead and ordered a couple of liters of Fabric dye to see if they can improve the looks of the shitty stock seats.

Turned out okay but I'm gonna ditch those seats anyway fairly soon.
        The Big Win body kit was fairly bashed up, mainly the rear bumper had a massive crack in it. Tom quickly fibered it up and gave it some TLC. Subsequent fresh lick of paint made it look like new.

Tom also got to work on interior trim with a special coloring paste because due to the MT swap in the X81 all kinds of trim pieces are with mismatched colors, some are brown, some are grey. But in the end they turned out quite nice.

That is literally about what we've done the entire year on those two.

I've ordered my Cross Factory kit for the R34 in April and was told it was gonna be here in 12 weeks, 6 weeks production and 6 weeks shipping. The blue eye'd motherfucker I am I figured everything will go according to plan.

You guessed it, it did not. I figured getting German papers done would take a week, two tops so we gonna wait until we give em to the guy that sorted out the papers for my R32.

Still in April Tom had the glorious idea he also wants a JZX100... for his fiance. A day later he found one in Ireland. We booked our tickets and met up in Ireland, he flew in from Germany and I came from France. While we waited for our ride we went and did what any sensible Irish man would do at noon in Dublin.

A short while later we were brought to the car, paid up and made our way down south to the port from where we'd be taking the 18h ferry ride from Ireland to France. By the time we got there we were fairly intoxicated, which is why Tom was behaving accordingly.

Substantially more Ale and a headache later we were in France and made our painful way home.
        We slapped some coils onto the x100 and popped on some 3sdms that were lying around. Not ideal, but enough for cockin' about with.

So that's where we stood at in May/June.
        During the summer had a bit of a timeout with the cars because nothing was happening on the Cross Factory front and my wife and I took my parents over to the States for a couple of weeks of vacation.

Before that though I took my brother on a surprise bachelor party trip. I took him to the airport with a couple of friends saying we were picking up his cousin, which he believed until we were suddenly standing at the check in. We flew out to Hungary which was just too good not to share quickly. You should know it's customary in Germany for the bachelor to be a slave for the day essentially. Meaning we point to a store/bar and he has to get us beer. You should ALSO know he was not quite conventionally dressed. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Things escalated quickly. Let's leave it at that.

Vacation time.

We decided road trip was the way to go and rented a car in San Francisco, drove down Route 1 to LA and spent a couple of days in Malibu. We moved on the Las Vegas to spend a couple of nights there and check out the Grand Canyon. I fkn love Vegas, every time. On our way back to San Francisco we drove through Death Valley and Yosemite. Pretty awesome vacation and I'm glad we got that outta the way before the political shit show that's goin down right now.

Right after our vacation next up was Tom's wedding, worth mentioning because that got us at least a couple more car pics:

Back to the main story which is way too long already so I'm gonna cut it short - by August 4 months had passed and the kit still hadn't arrived. That's when we gave the two cars to our guy to sort out the TÜV papers. Unfortunately the guy is a pathological liar and went on to waste nearly half a year of our time continuously telling us he'll have it soon sorted out and he is just waiting for others.

In the meanwhile the Cross Factory kit arrived in Ireland in October essentially taking 6 months to fucking build. As pissed as I was at that it didn't matter because we did not even have road legal cars, still. So, another excessive trip via ferry to Ireland and we had the Cross factory kit home finally. Gonna get you more pictures in a couple weeks.

So, In January Tom contacted our guy once more asking what was happening with our cars and since he continued bullshitting us Tom could no longer contain himself and ripped the fella a new one. Over the Phone. That was that and we picked up our cars and brought it a to another shop that specializes in imports. The new shop got things taken care of within a few weeks only and is the reason why I'm writing this update now. Most parts on my shopping list are ordered, I've booked my vacation and in 2 weeks we'll build the R34, at last.

Let's talk parts; apart from the usual stuff like HKS shroom filter, FMIC kit, steering wheel and fuel pump I spent most of the last 12 months thinking what I'm gonna do about wheels.

Where do I start?

I've been thinking up and down and I've decided I wanted to go for a 6 spoke design, it couldn't be TE37s because I want 3piece wheel with some massive lips. So I started looking into options and all I found was that there is a shitton of 3p wheel manufacturers out there with tons of designs. These are some of the 6 spokes I found, including RF's SIX and Work L1's that came out last year:

While they all look pretty cool, none of 'em satisfied me 100%, even when I found a picture of a TE37 converted to 3 piece it left me somewhat unsatisfied.

So that pushed me even more towards something we've been wanting to do for a very long time:

Matt and I have been dreaming about making our own wheels for years. Matt has background in the CNC business and I studied design meaning we're both fairly proficient when it comes to 3D modeling software.

We've been planing this for years and we've finally decided we're gonna invest in a CNC machine!

Months down the road we've arrived at the point where we believe we can build our own wheels.

We got to work and started on a standard classic mesh design. We figured we start with a mesh because we wanted to test our limits with all the small corners and edges.
        I'll show you a couple of shots of the stages we've gone through to the first finished product.

First we did a few test cuts and tested if Matt was able to program highly detailed small items.

Then we got to work on a design for the mesh and proceeded to cut. We use 6082-T6 aluminium which is essentially the EU version of 6061-T6 which we can't get over here.

A couple of broken tools and issues here and there later we had the first complete wheel.

We soldiered on with another simple design.

At this point we were confident we could start creating things we've always wanted. So I got to work on a 6 spoke.

Back to the 3 piece TE37, there was simply too much that bothered me about it. Then I started thinking towards why no one has ever made a bigger version of the SSR Longchamps. It turned out so bad I'm not even gonna show you, so I started from scratch coming up with a 6 spoke and it took me essentially the past 6 months and 100s of revisions to get to where I'm satisfied enough that I would put it on my car. We've even done FEA testing on them already as my brother in law happens to be in the CNC business too!

We call em the Akoyas and will be cutting them within the next few weeks which means I can soon show you guys how they look on the 34. We also made some renders because why not!

So yes, exciting time ahead with hopefully many updates come. I realize as I'm writing this, this is a post with 50+ pictures and I really could have written something much earlier for which I apologize. However, there is a ton of plans down the road for us and I hope you like what you see. As always, lemme know!

Comment

awsome update, was wondering the other day what had happend to this... glad to see its moving along. cant wait to see more.

Comment

Off topic and out of curiosity are you guys originally from Germany?

Comment

yaaaaaaas
              99 GS 400
              85' 190d
              99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
              97' q45 (rip)
              ig: erik.docx

Comment

Worth. So much worth.

Comment

Please keep this updated!!!

Comment

That Chaser is a Beaut. Hope you get back to us sooner rather than later.
                    sigpic

Comment

I did not expect to see an ass and a dude with a pink dress in this thread..

Beautiful thread tho, best of luck with the progress on your cars!

Comment

Amazing!

Comment

Update time! Gonna let the pictures do the talkin this time.

Started taking this fucker apart.

Mocked stuff up.

Drew the line.

Cut the outer wall.

Added relief cuts and hammered stuff.

Welded shit up.

Cut excess and clean it.

Call it a day.

Fillered kit.

Painted kit.

Added a ton of rivet nuts.

Unfortunately the front bumper turned out to be a complete disaster fitmentwise. I'm still missing the R34 front lip for it because the company that sold me the lip had a mixup and sent me a R32 lip.

Not sure what I'm gonna do about the front bumper but i'll be deadhonest: I'm not impressed with the overall quality of this kit. I might go a different route entirely. You shall find out soon enough.

Also as you can see the XD9 are pretty lost on the rear, the fronts are on without spacers and the rear have a 25 mil spacer on there already.

Which brings me to something that did actually go rather well.

We ordered our wheel blanks and put em through the lathe.

Proceeded with the CNC work and the mockup.

And fuck me - this is what I wanted.

What do you think?

Anyway, on the x81 there has been a minor holdup as the alternator crapped itself, but on the bright side we popped some brand new D9Rs.

Comment

Holy shit those wheels are incredible!
                            Instagram @benseifert666
                            #shitboxcolt build thread revival coming soon

Comment

Wheels look awesome

Comment

Love the builds ! I was wondering, what program do you use to do the design of your wheels? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X