No announcement yet.

homemade DIY split-rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you please post STEP BY STEP how u did this ?

i want to do this on my w126

Comment

Interesting.

I like em dropped.

Comment

Coolest thing I've seen all day I think.
        Originally posted by da3bous
        I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Originally posted by toyomatt84 View Post
          The only thing I can think of, is wheel balancing. They may look dead center to the eye, but fractions of a millimeter can be multiplied in amplitude, when they're spinning at highway speeds. I truly hope it works though, because they look fantastic.
          what, no eye measurements are used ... rimrings aren't hanging in the air. They are milled in in the centerpiece, even the spokes had to be milled couple millimeters (flush mount? look the pic i drew)

and has less than 0,2mm tolerance to fit the rimrings in. BBS RS rimrings are manufactured to the same tolerance. It is a snug fit and i had to use rubbermallet to get the rimrings to the bottom. Three of them are perfectly balanced with 5-10g weights and one has 35g and that one has a welded crack on it... actually we managed to do two of these perfectly round and two shows some eccentric wobbling by micrometer, about 0,22mm if i remember right.

Originally posted by *96tegls* View Post
          can you please post STEP BY STEP how u did this ?
          Just look those snowpictures. It is pretty straight forward -> Cut off stock rimrings.

EDIT... it seems that Some Lorinser, AMG and BBS LM rims has 1/4" thick mountingface too. material grade is the same.
          Last edited by Sergey; 07-04-2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergey View Post
            what, no eye measurements are used ... rimrings aren't hanging in the air. They are milled in in the centerpiece, even the spokes had to be milled couple millimeters (flush mount? look the pic i drew)

and has less than 0,2mm tolerance to fit the rimrings in. BBS RS rimrings are manufactured to the same tolerance. It is a snug fit and i had to use rubbermallet to get the rimrings to the bottom. Three of them are perfectly balanced with 5-10g weights and one has 35g and that one has a welded crack on it... actually we managed to do two of these perfectly round and two shows some eccentric wobbling by micrometer, about 0,22mm if i remember right.
            Wow, I didn't see that you were going with a milling machine to cut off the existing barrels. Since that's the case, I see no reason to believe that these won't work. It's not like you're adding new stress points.
            *free hugs*

Comment

No no i used a Hacksaw Joke actually with structural bond they will be stronger than the stock rim But i have to keep it in my mind that these are 70's wheels and are made for lesser stress and wear compared to modern wheels. As long i have them on my old boulevardcruiser, so it won't be a problem.
              Last edited by Sergey; 07-05-2010, 08:47 AM.

Comment

this is sick
                cars and stuff

Comment

love this project. great work!! the possibilities are endless when thinking about doing this to certain wheels.
                  sigpic
                  1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
                  1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

There is much badassery in this thread. Such a sick idea.

Cole

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
                    yeah it's got turbo and it looks decent stanced, but it's a fucking Neon, the survived-abortion of the 90's auto industry.

Comment

It shows that you have done your research.. Will be amazing once finished.. Cant wait to see them finished and on the car. No pokemon shit steppin up!
                      Originally posted by anth
                      Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Very cool haha

2004 350Z Twin Turbo

Comment

WOW looks great
                          www.camberwears.com

Comment

OHHH MYYYY loving the innovativeness!
                            DISREGARD FEMALES ACQUIRE CURRENCY!

Comment

Looks great. Seems like you know what you're doing too. Can't wait to see this when done.
                              Sam Hussein(aka Samsneez)
                              State of Stance l Florida West Coast Coordinator
                              Garage 5 l Owner
                              BRIDE Japan Whole Sale
                              Sam@stateofSTANCE.com

Comment

Whoa

Comment

Working...
                                X