Magnesium wheel redrill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium wheel redrill?

I've searched around a bit and can't find anything saying yes or no so I figured I'd ask here. Anyone ever redrill or heard of redrilling magnesium wheels? My thoughts were always no given the nature of magnesium but I figured I'd ask. Wheels are 127 and I want them to be 130 so I don't have to run adapters.

i would look into having the wheels seated with stainless steel lug seats. thats really your only option

since the lug seats require the holes to be enlarged about 4mm diameter wise, they can machine and re-center the hole for the seat to then be pressed in at 5x130.. Final hole will then line up because of the enlargement and nothing will be ovaled out. don't use steel seats though as the two metals up against each other will oxidize over time further weakening the mag... even stainless may, but it shouldnt be as much of an issue

Do not weld these. Mag welding is possible, would never suggest it on a wheel face or wheel lug hole especially
    Last edited by 1badg35; 03-07-2016, 10:12 AM.
    sigpic
    1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
    1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

I would just leave the wheels alone and search for something else. It hurts the value and structural integrity of the wheel as well.

I mean; Why bother? There is so much else out there...
      Lucas
      Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
      Originally posted by LCG
      High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Wooble bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post
          Wooble bolts?
          127 to 130, wobble bolts wont work. I tested it before.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

i would assume 5x127 is going to be near impossible to sell. what car even has this bolt pattern?
            sigpic
            1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
            1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

I wanna say older GM cars were 127 and chryslers were at some point, I know newer jeeps are. I just don't want to have adapters made for them because I'd never be able to resell them. My current car is an odd 4x130 as it is but I can get replacement parts in 5x130 and make it easy on myself. Just looking at options nothing is set in stone.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
                i would look into having the wheels seated with stainless steel lug seats. thats really your only option

since the lug seats require the holes to be enlarged about 4mm diameter wise, they can machine and re-center the hole for the seat to then be pressed in at 5x130.. Final hole will then line up because of the enlargement and nothing will be ovaled out. don't use steel seats though as the two metals up against each other will oxidize over time further weakening the mag... even stainless may, but it shouldnt be as much of an issue

Do not weld these. Mag welding is possible, would never suggest it on a wheel face or wheel lug hole especially
                I have a set of ACT Ronal SX 18". Do you know if they can be done it too? Want too redrill from 5x112 to 4x108

Comment

Working...
                X