Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankensteins monster: Golf turbo build

Afternoon all,

Im not usually one to share nor make forum posts so most of this is new to me ( Go easy! ) But a few friends have asked me to share my build, so here I am!

So it all started a when I was a teenager, Infatuated by hot hatches in Max Power (along side the half nude chick posters that were plastered all over my wall like every other kid my age) Difference was, when everyone else would buy it for the baps, I was reading, researching and collecting information about hatches, little did I know that bug would burrow under my skin..

So 15 years later, here I am. Ive had cars from Xr2i, Polos, Golf mk1's to 200sx's circa 300hp, but none of them done it for me, I needed something more, something more powerful.. So I sold my Mk1 and started a new build. Frankensteins monster..

First things first, I needed a platform. So purchased a decent mk4, Weitec coilovers, Whiteline front arb, Eibach rear, Completely polybushed and everything brand new.

So whats the aim? Track car / Savage road vehicle. Mid 600's and plenty of traction.

Time to get a new engine:

Also wanted to go 6sp, So bought a 02m.

Small port just wasnt going to cut it, So I found an AEB the other side of the country.

Now I had a few basics it was time to make those all important orders. Id like to throw a huge thank you to Integrated Engineering, CTS, Precision & Tial for all their customer service. Super happy with the services guys.

Every day for a month I was being snowed under with imported parts from the Usa, Canada, Germany etc and needed to slow up before the garage overflowed. Time to get to grips and clean this turd.

Poor golf served well, but soon you'll have your heart transplant..

Fitting the Intercooler (trial fitment to gain knowledge where oil cooler will be located)

Time to get down to business...

Cleaned, stripped and Por15d

Apologies in advance but I dont have any pictures available of the progress of the bottom end, I went with a forged 06a crank with ARP stud hardware top to bottom. I usually press on so much with work and often find myself forgetting to stop and take pictures!

Check out the vile caked on crap on the top end, only one fix for this..

So the head was now clean, sent off to Porsche to have the head skimmed, new valve train cut & angled in, new guides in and reemed out to spec. Came back:

Attached Files
    Last edited by LJB; 03-05-2016, 07:19 AM.

Strippin' the box.

Forks are a huge issue on the 02m's so we will deal with that issue but first, Time to get drillin'

Time to get the cases rebuilt:

Again, Stripped blasted and painted:

Pegging the crank:

By dear god alive, the sun came out.. Yes the sun, In the UK... I had to drag everything out to work in this glorious weather as opposed to be locked away in a dark cave going off my head.. It was short lived. Started to piss it down in a couple of hours after this.. Theres a surprise !

Head on, and other little bits and bobs:

The snail arrived from USA amongst a small arrival of other parts:

Time to crack on with some bits for the actual vehicle:

Trial fitting the fuel system...

Hell on earth figuring out all the wiring ( making my own loom for just about everything, including entire loom for fuel system to link to new ecu )

Not entirely sure on seat choice as of yet.. Ive put some terry (weight) on since xmas and its hard to get my man curves in there right now and feel comfortable... May go for something a little better than the Sprints soon......

Still need to rip out the other half of the interior and get lots welded...

Okay my fingers are killing me now and im about to shoot off to London o2 tonight for a night out. Ill post some more this weekend when I get back.

Enjoy!

Comment

amazing.... simply amazing. this is going to be epic... subscribed

Comment

ohw god yes, this is going to be a proper build.

Keep the updates coming

got a pic of your old mk1?

i shouldn't be daily driving this:
        "Volkswagen Golf mk1 build thread"

Comment

Cheers guys, I never intended to go this far with the project, but I always want "the best of the best" even if it comes at a cost.. It's a bug. I kind of wish I kept the mk1 in some respects and ended up dropping the 1.8t in that with circa 250hp (which might I add, was the initial plan to begin with) but a few friends are running some 800hp vehicles now So naturally the competition element has come into factor haha..

Here's some pics... Before:

So yeah, there we have it. I miss the mk1, was a complete rotbox and took a year of cutting everything but the roof off to restore it but someone has a damn straight and non rusty mk1 now...

Oh well, you live and learn!

Comment

So, I came back to a couple of packages I have been waiting for to be fabricated, and today Yes FRIDAY, it all came...

Getting closer..

Comment

Update time. So the past few weeks have been busy work wise and its been hard finding time to work on the project due to lack of working space. I recently had a unit however I had my concerns due to a security perspective and did not trust the unit I was in, so pulled out of it and took everything back home. Working at home is far from ideal.

So I took a trip up to Coventry to see Greg Gush @ ProTuner to go and collect the newest toy, got it for a price that doesnt come a crop often so could not resist!

Pretty much everything a car fanatic could hope for, fully adjustable launch, cuts, limiters, flatshifts, but most importantly to me adjustable pressure & temp trips as well as full Knock control (Many aftermarkets do not support this option) I did debate the Syvecs route but the price band was just too high (Circa £3.4k) for the items I required and the Links had amazing write ups on the old G4 systems, and Link have just raised the bar again with the G4+ range. Fully looking forward to getting this set up and having a play. Plugs are currently on order and will be making a Mil spec concentric twisted loom as soon as I figure out sensor positions etc..

Got most the weight out the front I wanted and started stripping the old electrics and looms out that are no longer necessary, wiring headphunk.. Need to start stripping the doors out and carpets next ready for the cage to go in.

Another package arrived the other day, this one I was excited about..

Its not often I have the time to write reviews or sit down and do write ups but this I really can make an exception for. A good friend of mine (Jimmy_20v) recommended me to give Prima Motorsport a call to get some harness' made up due to their exceptional quality and the fact they are made in house in the UK. To say the quality (Both customer service and product) is outstanding is an understatement.. I really couldn't recommend these guys enough, quality, workmanship, even down to the shackle quality is all A1* Locking mech is outstanding, engineering excellence. Im yet to find a pair of harness' that are as supple (Material wise) as these and feel as comfortable as the Titon harness'. Just like to throw a massive thanks out there to them for making such an outstanding product. If anyone is interested send Tessa an email and say I sent you

So yesterday turned out pretty nice weather wise to decided to pull the motor out the garage and get some work done, Needed to clean up the gated baffled sump and get the 'New' flat rocker cover cleaned up.

Engine out and stripped back down:

Sump off:

I had an itch after installing the sump and got a message from Bill @ Badger5 about an item I wanted to grab from him.. So a quick run to Stonehouse and ran the "package" back...:

But what is it....?

Again, Outstanding quality from IE, This things huge.. Will get more detailed photos next weekend.

Installed on motor:

Had to chuck on the flat rocker for a mock up, huge difference aesthetically speaking, happy with how flat it is now, just to get it coated:

And that was the day done, Making another few orders today for the existing parts, BIG news in 2 weeks in regards to an update, but ill keep that one dangling for you to ponder on.

Thanks again all, Enjoiiiii !

Comment

Nice work so far, looking really good!

Comment

Okay, back from the dead. Works been mad recently and not had much time to update or work on the car. I have recently moved homes too so purchasing items for the house has put a hold on the project... Until now!

Also, got a new van, So have been using the time to drive around and find new roads to drive.

New van:

Had some new clutches made up too for some customers:

Car has been stripped to nothing now, looms all gone (no pics, apologies!) So started on fabrication of the cage amongst other items (pics to follow)

Just checking out some wheels, Kind of like the Compomotives but am tempted for something rebuildable, Some split rims have been spotted which I am viewing next week. Will update wheel wise in a week or two.

Finally got around to stripping, prepping and painting the rocker:

The stock shifter not only looked cack, but also had so much play and throw, so decided it was time:

Time for some carbon, Its been in my garage for around 6 years, I knew it would come in handy:

Formular Ford Carbon Wing:

I have next week off, And have some pretty big updates on the way, Fabrication, electrical work and also the engine will be going in place!

Cheers all
                  Last edited by LJB; 10-29-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

This is awesome, subbed for sure.
                    99 GS 400
                    85' 190d
                    99 Q45 (slightly nicer)
                    97' q45 (rip)
                    ig: erik.docx

Comment

Speachless!

Just awesome can't say anything else

Comment

I love this so much. This is gonna be mental.

Comment

who makes that shifter? its beautiful!

Comment

Awesome! Want more lol

Comment

Guys, Thanks for the positive comments, really motivates me to make it bigger, better and fresher than ever. I have some things in the pipeline worth waiting for... Trust me.

So this week I decided to spend a week with a good friend of mine, Herm to get some much needed work on the Golf done. Work has taken a full stop and Ive taken a weeks holiday to smash out as much as possible.

So we started with the rear end.. No puns intended.. (AGAIN, sincere apologies for crappy pics, Really dont have time to keep bringing the DSLR in just to get wrecked in the workshop)

Ignore the owl... Inside joke

Bum clenching was in full force:

Mocked up and swaged to strengthen:

Also, did not manage to get any pics of the process, but end result of rear wheel well delete & fuel tank removal:

But whats all this effort for... Teaser of half the item fabricated:

Back to the grind again. Needed some more strength in the chassis, so decided to swage. After all, everyone needs a good gusset in their life....

End result? 2 gussets per side, A pillar downstays and main hoop to chassis:

Last teaser pics?

For those who use social media, for more frequent updates on Instagram Follow @Graffting #Frankensteinsgolf

Stay tuned guys!
                              Last edited by LJB; 11-03-2016, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X