SOWO/ European Experience thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOWO/ European Experience thread

I'm making this thread so if you have any questions about Savannah, I can answer them to the best of my ability since I live here and anyone else with any experience here can answer questions too.

I decided to make this thread because Savannah is so much different than Helen. It's actually completely different from any town I've ever been in. It's the only town I've ever been to where you can be in one of the safest parts of town and still be two blocks from one of the most dangerous parts of town.

So ask me anything you want to know about Savannah. I think Savannah is a great town to hold SoWo and I want it to stay here but I also know that unlike Helen, Savannah has some areas that you need to completely avoid and I don't want something bad to happen to anyone at the show.

I can give recommendations on restaurants, bars, places to stay, streets to avoid in a low car, streets to avoid if you don't want to get killed, anything you want. So ask away.

I'll go ahead and ask the two questions a lot of people will probably ask. How are the roads/entrances to parking lots and how are the police in regards to events and modified cars?
    IG: @OsakaFlocka

Comment

My question would be if there is any place that there could be a BMW meet? At SoWo last year CJ David planned one and the turnout was pretty nice. I've been thinking about asking him if he plans on doing another one this year.
      [CENTER][url=http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66924][color=red]e28 build thread[/color] [/url]
      [img]http://i.imgur.com/hNTlNvf.jpg?2[/img]
      Instagram: [url=https://instagram.com/divingboardlord/][color=red]@divingboardlord[/color][/url][/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by drift55 View Post
        I'll go ahead and ask the two questions a lot of people will probably ask. How are the roads/entrances to parking lots and how are the police in regards to events and modified cars?
        I will tell you that the roads are fairly decent overall. The major reason is that they don't have winters that tear up the roads like we have in the North East. Cops are pretty chill too. I think they're used to the modified scene. Summit's down there in that area. There's a "varsity meet" at Varsity that used to go on every Thursday. Asshatery wasn't normally present. When I was stationed down there, it used to be a regular occurrence. Last year was no different. SOWO doesn't yet have the "scene kiddery" of H20i so the cops are pretty chill still
        stanceworks: I don't really fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by drift55 View Post
          The roads downtown aren't very good at all. Stay off River Street completely if you have a slammed car. Whitaker and Drayton both have a massive crown in the center so if you have to switch lanes on those, you're gonna scrape pretty bad.

The roads around downtown are just fine though, it's just the historic downtown that is bad.

there's one massive bump on Hutchinson Island that you hardly notice until you hit it, but chances are you won't be going fast enough down that road during the show to have a problem with it.

The curbs are just like carved stone and not concrete, so they're really rough and not very level, making it hard to park close to the curb without catching a wheel. My right mirror stays pointed down all the time so I can be careful since I live downtown.

The cops are usually pretty cool about things; I've never had a bad run in with them. The only things they're really strict about are the noise ordinance in downtown after 10pm and anything that is really putting people in danger. If you try to do a burnout or something downtown, they aren't going to seem so nice.

In the historic part of town, there's a noise ordinance starting at 10pm. It won't be a problem if you're out at the bars on Broughton st, Bay st, River st, or City Market because there's no houses out there, but if you're staying in a house and have a ton of people drinking outside or something, they'll come tell everyone to leave. I've only been to one party where that happened, it takes a lot of people or music loud enough for your neighbors to hear for the cops to come.

Also you can walk around the streets with a drink but it has to be in a clear cup. They aren't going to come up and ID you on the street as long as you have a clear cup

We don't have a huge modified car scene down here so I don;t know how they're gonna react to all the cars. Also I'm not sure how the show is going to be, but half the track on Hutchinson Island is open to the public, and if they hear a loud exhaust back there, the hotel will call the cops.

Originally posted by Robitussin View Post
          My question would be if there is any place that there could be a BMW meet? At SoWo last year CJ David planned one and the turnout was pretty nice. I've been thinking about asking him if he plans on doing another one this year.
          A few miles outside of town there's plenty of places, but right in downtown I can't think of a parking lot big enough to handle it. There's one hotel with a parking garage that is always empty on the top level but you need a key card to get into it so I doubt we could talk them into letting us use it.

5 or so miles from the center of downtown there's plenty of shops and stuff and one of the businesses there would probably let someone have a meet there.

The best place though would probably be North Beach on Tybee Island. South beach is the big tourist one and North beach is pretty hidden and it would cost like $2 for each person to park there and since it's public parking and not just for the restaurant there, you shouldn't need special permission as long as you're all paying.

I may drive down to tybee when I have some free time and see if any businesses have a big enough parking lot and ask them if they'd let us meet there

Comment

So it sounds like they won't hassle people for modifications but will if people start acting up which sounds ideal. As long as they're better than H2Oi cops we'll all be fine haha!
            IG: @OsakaFlocka

Comment

If I have something worth driving down there Id love to go and meet some people from here

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

Originally posted by driftsucky View Post
                I will tell you that the roads are fairly decent overall. The major reason is that they don't have winters that tear up the roads like we have in the North East. Cops are pretty chill too. I think they're used to the modified scene. Summit's down there in that area. There's a "varsity meet" at Varsity that used to go on every Thursday. Asshatery wasn't normally present. When I was stationed down there, it used to be a regular occurrence. Last year was no different. SOWO doesn't yet have the "scene kiddery" of H20i so the cops are pretty chill still
                You must be thinking about Atlanta, which isn't close to Savannah. Summit is in Mcdonough, which is 45 mins south of Atlanta. And the Varsity is in downtown Atlanta, unless you're talking about the one in Athens.

TheTynosaur is right, if you have a low static car you're going to have a bad time in historic downtown Savannah. Other than that the roads are pretty decent.
                2010 135i | Alpine White | Coral Red | 6MT | Bagged

Build | Instagram: fifty3bags

Comment

I'm seriously thinking about making the drive down, I'd take my m5 though since it isn't as low as the 528. I'd like to enjoy the drive and not worry about breaking something haha

3/96 Build Date, Montreal Blue, 304,310 miles and counting...

Comment

Originally posted by fifty3bags View Post
                    You must be thinking about Atlanta, which isn't close to Savannah. Summit is in Mcdonough, which is 45 mins south of Atlanta. And the Varsity is in downtown Atlanta, unless you're talking about the one in Athens.

TheTynosaur is right, if you have a low static car you're going to have a bad time in historic downtown Savannah. Other than that the roads are pretty decent.
                    I am thinking of Atlanta. After I read it, I realized what I was thinking. I used to live in Jonesboro which is like 20-25ish minutes south of Atlanta. So, summit isn't that big a deal to get to. But, when I was stationed down there, it didn't feel like I was going out of town until maybe Columbus or Augusta. I guess cuz Atlanta is so friggin large.
                    stanceworks: I don't really fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by fackinsteve View Post
                      If I have something worth driving down there Id love to go and meet some people from here
                      Do it!
                      [CENTER][url=http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66924][color=red]e28 build thread[/color] [/url]
                      [img]http://i.imgur.com/hNTlNvf.jpg?2[/img]
                      Instagram: [url=https://instagram.com/divingboardlord/][color=red]@divingboardlord[/color][/url][/CENTER]

Comment

I made some maps to get a general idea of Savannah.

The first one is a road map based on how rough the roads are. Yellow means you need to be careful going down them, red means you're more than likely going to scrape in a low car. Grey means don't drive down that road at all.

The second is a map based on how safe the area is. Yellow means you'll be fine walking in a group, red means it's okay to drive down but I wouldn't walk down it or park my car on it, and grey means you'll get shot or mugged if you walk or drive down it. This map is pretty general, but there are decent pockets within some of the yellow or red areas. Most of the time the areas around hotels will be pretty safe by Savannah standards. There's no green on this map because I'm not going to tell you any place is actually safe. Be alert and pay attention to your surroundings anywhere you go in Savannah, don't walk alone at night, and you'll be just fine. I can't tell you how many times I've walked through Savannah at night and for the most part I haven't had any issues and that's when there's not thousands of tourists on every street.

I hope this helps some of you

Also at the end of Tybee Island there's a great spot to drive onto the beach get pictures on a beach service entrance. I wouldn't actually know that though because driving on the beach is illegal and I would never break a law like that

Comment

Originally posted by Robitussin View Post
                          Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it. I had a couple people bitch that it was an hour away up a mountain during the show day of SoWo. Why anyone would complain about a nice mountain drive in a BMW away from MkVsOnRSsVapeFest was sort of beyond me, but whatever. I won't be organizing a meet this year, mostly because I don't know Savannah at all, and also because I'm not sure if I'll be making the drive from SoCal again this year.

Tynosaur, good job with those maps bro! If I make it out there, I'll have to save those as a reference.
                          Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
                          2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
                            Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it. I had a couple people bitch that it was an hour away up a mountain during the show day of SoWo. Why anyone would complain about a nice mountain drive in a BMW away from MkVsOnRSsVapeFest was sort of beyond me, but whatever. I won't be organizing a meet this year, mostly because I don't know Savannah at all, and also because I'm not sure if I'll be making the drive from SoCal again this year.

Tynosaur, good job with those maps bro! If I make it out there, I'll have to save those as a reference.
                            I wanted to make it, but I didn't want to commit to it not knowing how much I would have to drink haha. The year before last was a blast until it got broken up by the cops and people doing burnouts
                            2010 135i | Alpine White | Coral Red | 6MT | Bagged

Build | Instagram: fifty3bags

Comment

The year before last was great, for the 45 minutes that we had before those shitheads fucked it up doing burnouts into the direction of the show.
                              Ol Dirty Bastard - RIP

Photo by Alex Dooley
                              2016 Ducati Scrambler, 2015 Subaru Impreza

Comment

Working...
                              X