No announcement yet.

'00 FRC Hardtop - moar LS/Murica/long distance high speed cruising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not want to alter the factory paint work if I didn’t need to, so out came the wet sanding supplies, clay, compound, and polish…

Popped the headphones in, cracked a fine cold PBR, and GOT TO IT

_DSC5158 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5160 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Nice and glassy!

_DSC5162 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

So with the exterior looking better again, I turned to this annoying clunk in the front end that had been bothering me. It occurred when the wheel was turned - and with the suspension getting loaded/unloaded.

I had already replaced the sway bar end links front and rear, so the search continued. Found that the sway bar bracket bushings were looking sorry and original

_DSC5164 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5166 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5168 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

New parts - polyurethane Energy Suspension pieces - teflon tape to prevent squeaks

_DSC5170 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5172 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

The new bushings fit great and compressed nicely with the bracket torqued down. I also added the supplied grease to make sure things were lubed up.

_DSC5171 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

• Still no dice on the noise - so the list of “while I’m in there” continued. C6 Z06 shocks at all 4 corners. Definitely necessary since the old shocks were 16 years old, 110K on them. The shock mounts themselves were also worn, and included with the new stuff. At just $250 for all 4 new shocks, why not? I also dusted off my old “nifty fifty” 50mm 1.8 fixed lens!

_DSC5187 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Old units out, front mounts.

_DSC5173 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5181 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Oddly enough the C6 top mounts were different, slightly angled, and they didn’t fit the C5 chassis, so I swapped the C5 mounts over onto the C6Z shocks.

_DSC5188 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Rest of the shock install went quick and easy. Next up, while looking over the front suspension, I had noticed the belts were looking sad. Out they came

_DSC5184 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

New parts. I used Goodyear Gatorback belts on my 6.0 LS BMW with great luck, but I couldn’t find them for a C5 application on any website. Some closer looks on Rockauto revealed that Continental listed some belts that had that telltalle cross hatch pattern on the belt ribs. Decided to pull the trigger

_DSC5198 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5193 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I wasn’t expecting to have to replace the idler and tensioner pulleys but they were worn - and the bearings were noisy. Quick trip to the store for some new parts:

_DSC5200 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

After allllll that stuff, I finally tested out a theory - that the fiberglass front spring was binding on the aluminum control arm after the front leaf spring bolts had been removed. An old tire sacrificed its life and offered some insulating material. Cutoff wheel + tire means ultimate smokeshow!

_DSC5194 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

So I compressed the spring on each side, greased up the side that contacted the spring, and slid it in. SUCCESS! Noise fixed. The spring now moves freely with no binding against the control arms.

Next up: passenger window regulator, LMC5 install, and S2000 seat mounting revision.

Comment

• Damn man you are restoring that thing, you changed a bunch of broken pixels to a bunch of broken parts... Are you going to turn into one of those fat bald old man driving a C10 corvette? being a purist and everything?

with love
        Goodbye from the other forum

Comment

• Originally posted by LCG View Post
          Damn man you are restoring that thing, you changed a bunch of broken pixels to a bunch of broken parts... Are you going to turn into one of those fat bald old man driving a C10 corvette? being a purist and everything?

with love
          Goodbye from the other forum
          Not so much of a restoration as it is just fixing broken shit so I can really thrash on the car and not worry about it breaking.

I am not a purist by any means. I learned a while ago that life is too short to stick to one chassis, generation after generation, because you "are a die hard Chevy/Vette/BMW/Honda/whatever" guy. If the car looks, sounds, and drives in a way that gives me a chubby, I am in.

Comment

• Just now getting around to posting about my trip. It has been a busy couple weeks, but here we go!

I had been planning this trip for about 6 months, and it was the best road trip I have ever done. The route:

map1 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Planned stops included Tail of the Dragon (Deal's Gap), Cherohala Skyway, Nashville and its various attractions, Corvette Museum, and Corvette Motorsports Park in Bowling Green. The rest was just "play it by ear".

Wednesday July 6th:

Left work at noon, picked up the wife from her job downtown Buffalo, and we hit the road. Honestly, the trip down to Knoxville was fairly uneventful - the further south we got, the more speeds picked up and the better the scenery got.

We stopped for lunch at the famous Chik Fil A chain of restaurants. I wasn't expecting much from a fast food joint, but I was pleasantly surprised at the friendly service, delicious food, and nice atmosphere. Somewhere near the PA/Ohio Border:

photo 1 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

The rest of the trip down to Knoxville went quickly. Kentucky was a blast - long, rolling hills, and cruising at 90-100mph with many other cars for hours at a time. By the time the sun set we were into Tennessee and it had started to rain. Finally arrived to our hotel in Knoxville and passed out.

Thursday July 7th:

The next morning I woke up very disappointed to find that it had rained hard all night. However, I decided to try my luck on the Dragon anyways, so I left Active Handling on and had a quick drive over to the beginning of Deal's Gap/Tail of the Dragon.

Pulled over for some pics by the dam:

_DSC5207 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5208 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5209 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I guess that's why they call them the Smokey Mountains.
            _DSC5210 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Stopped at the first overlook:

_DSC5211 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5213 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5212 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5214 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5215 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

The scenery was amazing out here. And so quiet, too

_DSC5216 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Elevation change from the dam we just saw

_DSC5217 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5218 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Getting a better view.
            _DSC5219 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5220 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Some local culture.

_DSC5221 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5222 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

From there I fired up the GoPro, strapped in, and did the Dragon loop. Great drive, the C5 handled it well. Chassis felt smooth and balanced. Despite keeping it generally under 50mph due to the rain, I was still hit with a great sensation of speed through the turns. The switchbacks and huge elevation changes in the middle of the turn were the most entertaining.
            I have the gopro video file on my other computer, will need to post it up here.

Pulled over again for pictures at the TN/NC border.

_DSC5230 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Entering NC

_DSC5228 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5223 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Wife enjoyed the ride, for the most part.
            _DSC5226 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Down at the other end of the loop, at the "touristy" section

_DSC5234 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5235 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5236 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5237 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5233 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Throughout my drive on the Dragon I saw mostly Harleys and cruisers. No sportbikes, probably due to the weather. Two wackjobs in stickered up Mini Coopers hauling ass going the other way, and the occasional minivan. The crappy weather worked well in that I was never held up by a slower vehicle in front of me.

A few cars passing us on their way to start a run:

_DSC5239 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5241 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5246 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Someone else has good taste! Black C5

_DSC5249 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Getting ready to hit the road again

_DSC5247 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Comment

• Finally at the bottom of the hill in Robbinsville, took some time to relax, pull footage off the GoPro to make room on the SD card, and eat something

_DSC5250 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Nice and filthy. Eat that, show and shine guys

_DSC5251 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Turned the GoPro back on and finally hit Cherohala Skyway. Much higher speeds, bigger overall elevation changes, and better views! We ran from Robbinsville to Tellico Plains.

_DSC5252 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5253 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5254 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5255 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5256 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5257 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5258 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5261 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5262 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5263 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Hit a solid 70-80 mph on some longer straights, loved the tight sweeping turns.

_DSC5264 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5265 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Comment

• Another pull off

_DSC5266 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5267 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5268 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5269 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5270 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

By now we were really climbing in elevation, and the microclimate changed - tons of fog! These pictures were taken just 2 minutes after the ones above.

_DSC5271 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5274 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5276 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

We started our descent out of the clouds and promptly got stuck behind a sightseeing F150. I took it as a hint to back off and let the brakes cool off and I'd occasionally get a whiff during a slower hairpin. Overall, a very involved, fun, higher speed road. Very few other enthusiast cars, but I was grateful for this. I will have to get the video uploaded soon (more gopro footage).

After realizing that Tellico Plains didn't have much to offer in the way of lunch, we hit the road right away westbound towards Nashville.

_DSC5277 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

More gas. 28.5 mpg on the highway, average speeds 80-90 mph.

_DSC5278 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

More filth accumulating on the car.
                _DSC5279 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

We arrived in Nashville and checked into our hotel, which had an attached parking garage - not cheap at $27 a night, but well worth the peace of mind. I was able to secure a nice corner spot and let the car cool off for the evening. It had seen a hell of a workout all day and had not yet skipped a beat.

photo 4 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Wife and I went to the Peg Leg Porker for dinner and walked around town to stretch our legs after sitting in the car nonstop for 2 days. On our travels we encountered a small foreign car shop that had some nice machinery outside. As a former BMW owner and still an enthusiast, these two caught my eye:

Technoviolet E36 M3 with LTW spoiler

photo 2 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

E39 540i M-Sport (rare car). I owned an LS powered E39 540i, so these will always have a special place with me.

photo 3 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Finally we settled down at a couple bars and saw some fantastic live music, enjoyed some good drinks, and called it a night. I was too exhausted to document any of the nightlife and just enjoyed the sights and sounds, followed by a great night's sleep.

Comment

• The next morning we hit the road early to get to Bowling Green about an hour north of Nashville.

The weather was gorgeous and after some minor rush hour traffic in downtown Nashville, we were blasting up I-65.

_DSC5280 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

After a bit I noticed a late model Camaro that I thought wanted to play on the highway a bit - nope, just a middle aged woman chatting with her girlfriends in the car at a cool 90 mph cruising speed (note speed on HUD)

_DSC5281 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I settled in behind her and she began to pull away - I gladly let her be the bait for any bored trooper up ahead.

_DSC5282 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Before we knew it we were getting close
                  _DSC5284 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5285 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Parked in the Corvette only zone. Note the crappy weather again
                  _DSC5288 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Figured I'd wash the car for its trip back to where it was born
                  _DSC5286 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5289 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5292 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Once inside we began the self guided tour, which started with early generations of Corvettes and progressed through the decades. Anything older than a C4 doesn't really do it for me, but I couldn't help but appreciate the attention to detail in the period-correct scenes put together.

_DSC5293 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5294 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5295 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5296 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5297 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Tribute to the ever-present UAW union worker.

_DSC5298 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I don't know if the time on the punch clock was coincidental, or an inside joke poking fun at the timeliness of union employees
                  _DSC5299 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Comment

• Love the updates. Now stop letting people hit you.

Comment

• Your road trip looks like a wet dream. You drove the route I want to drive someday.

How'd the cutouts function on the Dragon?
                      BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                      Originally posted by Ollie
                      We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• Originally posted by white out View Post
                        Love the updates. Now stop letting people hit you.

bruh tell me about it

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                        Your road trip looks like a wet dream. You drove the route I want to drive someday.

How'd the cutouts function on the Dragon?
                        I actually used them very little the whole trip. Kept them closed on the Dragon just in case there were any LEO's sitting up ahead - didn't want to give them any warning that I was coming. Did use them a couple times in some tunnels through Cincinnati. Yeehaw

Comment

• More old examples

_DSC5300 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5301 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5302 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5304 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5305 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Interesting exhibit showing the "marriage" of the chassis to the body.

_DSC5306 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Check out the external shift linkage on the 4 speed and the exhaust traveling through the frame
                          _DSC5307 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5309 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Homologation C5

_DSC5311 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5312 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5314 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5313 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

ZR-1 LT5

_DSC5315 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

The 80s C3s/C4s with crazy livery were pretty cool

_DSC5316 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5317 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Uhhh...interesting fabrication/wiring
                          _DSC5318 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5319 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Love the mesh deep dish race wheels.

_DSC5320 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Comment

• Originally posted by white out View Post
                            ...Now stop letting people hit you.
                            It's almost like an anti-mustang...
                            Lucas
                            Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                            Originally posted by LCG
                            High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

• Cutaway, working model (with moving parts) of a Gen 2 small block (LT1)

_DSC5321 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

C6 ZR-1 Exhibit showing footage from the record breaking Nurburgring lap. Very cool. I will be there myself in less than 2 months.

_DSC5322 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5323 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5324 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Concept cars over the years

_DSC5334 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5324 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

This next section was one of my favorite of the museum - not only because it featured a lot of C5 development, but because it focused on technology and the development process as a whole. The engineer in me was in heaven.

'97 C5 bare chassis

_DSC5326 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5327 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Interesting how tall the center tunnel is, but how low the side-sills are. Apparently the reduction in that sill height was a big deal when the C5 was introduced.
                              _DSC5328 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Rear transaxle assembly, another first for the Corvette family introduced on the C5
                              _DSC5330 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Balsa wood sandwiched between the flooring of the chassis for rigidity and light weight.
                              _DSC5331 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5332 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Needs the zip tie mod. Think they'd notice if I tossed the lid cover?
                              _DSC5333 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Just plain cool.
                              _DSC5335 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Comment

• Some non-LS powertrain...wait a minute...

_DSC5337 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

In a C6? This was the test mule used by GM to develop the C7 powertrain without giving away the C7 body to the press and public.

_DSC5336 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Even comes with magic floating Mobil 1 oil.
                                _DSC5338 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Conventional C5 hood in red VS carbon fiber hood that came on 2004 Z06s. Significant weight difference that you could feel when you picked them up.

_DSC5339 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

C5 steel chassis exhibit...
                                _DSC5340 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

That you could lift at one end.
                                _DSC5341 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

C5 Crash test vehicle.
                                _DSC5342 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Tucked away at the end of this row was a small shop where the museum maintains and works on the vehicles. Imagine doing that for a living.
                                _DSC5343 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5344 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

The next exhibit showcased the whole sinkhole - I had no idea that it was that big of a hole. Lots of fun interactive displays showing how the rock collapsed, how a sinkhole is formed, which cars got swallowed up, which ones got saved, etc.

Damn right!
                                _DSC5346 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

notes:///ClientBookmark?OpenWorkspace&id=117_DSC5347 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5348 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC5349 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

This was very cool. A small room with a projected image and sound that showed what it would be like, under the floor, when it collapsed. The wife loved it.
                                _DSC5350 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X