Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
    Glad to see it back together.
    Feels good to be driving it after a long winter. Runs better than ever.

Originally posted by hkz286 View Post
    badass as usual. I've never really liked the c5 but you have me second guessing myself

out of interest, why did you sell the titanium exhaust?
    Good question, the answer is sort of long and drawn out.

There was nothing wrong with the Titanium exhaust by itself; the sound was awesome, it was significantly lighter than the stainless version, and the tips looked better.

It all goes back to the cutouts I installed in the midpipes last summer. Cutouts closed, no problem, but cutouts open, there is an awful drone that resonates throughout the cabin at any speed, any RPM, any load. They sound great with the engine in the upper rev range but since they're pointed at a 45 degree angle at the ground, all the sound waves bounce off the pavement and back up into the chassis. I got the idea last year to relocate the cutouts into the rear section of exhaust, just before the mufflers, and route the cutout outlet into the inner exhaust tips, essentially doing a "muffler delete on demand". This way, with the cutouts open, all the sound would be directed straight out the back of the car, past the bodywork, eliminating some of the resonance inside the cabin.

This is all well and good but the cutouts and associated v-bands are made of stainless steel, and the Titanium exhaust is...titanium. They haven't yet developed a method to weld dissimilar metals yet, so I made the decision to sell the titanium and install a stainless OEM exhaust. I have yet to move the cutouts because I first want to experiment with the sound. The sharp eyed readers will recall that I got a free OEM stainless axle back from the guy who bought my Z06 stuff - I chopped the mufflers off those pipes and am in the process of building straight pipes that will mimic the sound of the "muffler delete on demand" axle back. If the sound is good, I will have enough evidence to move forward with the cutout relocation. At that point I can probably sell the straight pipes for a nice little profit.

So, yeah.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

• So I've been tinkering with little stuff on this thing but nothing really worth mentioning except for this

The original paint is not up to my standards (rock chips and very fine sandblasting of front bumper and fenders around wheels). I am of the mindset that repainting body panels/permanent color changes devalue a car, so a total respray is out of the question.

I have been tossing around the idea of a "neutral" shade - something that doesn't have too much of a specific identity - yellow is too loud, red attracts police, etc etc. A shade of silver, gray, etc is my style. I want something that will have some attitude, but is not tacky, garish, and doesn't scream "look at me". My only real criteria is a high gloss finish. The matte/flat thing looks cheap and unfinished to me.

I bought some samples of Telesto Gray, Gloss Dark Gray, and a 3M Metallic Gray. I put the Telesto Grey sample strip on the car, spanning multiple body lines, and it just didn't have the depth I was looking for. Looked somewhat cheap and showed marks/scratches easily, because there was nothing to draw the eye away from those blemishes. So that killed that idea.

0821162101a by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

0821162101 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

0821162101b by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

0821162103 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Here's what I'm thinking: Anthracite Gray by 3M has the right shade of brightness to it while including enough metallic flake to give it depth. I love how it looks in that last picture.

I like how it has that depth when out of the light....

But has that brilliant glossy finish with light applied.

Looks really nice pulled off on this Miata.

And even better on this S4
      3m Gloss Anthracite vinyl wrapped b5 s4 work meister s1r by hkarmy1134, on Flickr

10661995855_ea4df64df1_h by hkarmy1134, on Flickr

I guess the closest C5 factory color to this shade would be a Medium Spiral Gray, which was never available on the FRC body style...

Here is a Medium Spiral Gray C5 for reference.

just found this over on the 'Tech - Cyber Grey C5Z06

Comment

• So did you ever wrap it? =)
        95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

• Been wondering what has happened to this
          Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl View Post
            So did you ever wrap it? =)
            I didn't, I returned that wrap and decided I wanted to go fast instead

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
            Been wondering what has happened to this
            It's getting a cammed L92/LS3 (6.2L for the non-LS folk) built for it. Should be done in a month or so. I didn't post the build thread for the motor swap here, figured it wouldn't be that popular since it's not really stance related.

In case anyone is interested, here ya go:

Conversions & Swaps - LS swapping my LS - L92/LS3 into C5 - I'm nothing more than an amateur mechanic with an engineering/manufacturing background, and I love detailed build/progress threads, so here is my humble attempt at documenting my current project. Back in 2012/2013 I slammed an iron 6.0 into a 2001 BMW 540i....

Comment

• For the first time in this entire thread I have something "stance-worthy" to post about this car. I am by no means a real stance enthusiast as I **** the stretched wheel phenomenon but I can truly appreciate high quality, genuine, period correct wheels that look great when paired with functional fitment.

Back in 1999 I was a starry eyed 11 year old with an already healthy obsession with anything automotive. As a big fan of the original Gran Turismo simulator on PS1 back in '97 or so, I was even more so excited for GT2 to come out that year.

One of the coolest features (in addition to the very realistic cars and tracks) was the ability to customize your cars with aftermarket wheels at the "Wheel Shop".

I always loved the classic looks of wheels from BBS and usually put some variant of those on my favorite cars in the game. Fast forward almost 20 years and here I am, casually surfing Craigslist to see what's out there for my C5. The ad said C5 Corvette BBS wheels...

Which immediately seemed unusual as I never thought BBS had made anything for this car; I figured they were some crappy reps in a BMW bolt pattern or the seller was just plain confused. After some research I found out BBS actually did make a set of LM wheels for the C5...

2 hours later I'm reluctantly pulling up in the seller's driveway, greeted by an '03 Coupe and 2 late model MX-5s. The guy must be an enthusiast, I think to myself...

Looking over the wheels, they seem legit if not very unusual....but, the part numbers and sizes checked out and they were real.

It turns out the wheels came on the red '03, which the guy had just recently purchased. He was returning the car back to stock and didn't need the wheels anymore. He had bought the car from the original owner, who was an older gentleman and bought the wheels brand new at a cost of almost $1000 each and decided to drive the car year round. What do you do when you drive a car year round in the NE US? You put Mud and Snow tires on it....

IMG_20180718_131506884 (1) by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I kindly paid the man his asking price of $350 and loaded them up into my trusty steed.

So for now, the OEM C6 wheels will stay on until I have a chance to test fit the LM's. The initial plan is to see how they fit with or without the .375" spacer up front and the 1" spacer out back. I absolutely plan on reverse mounting the faces to gain some offset and make the lips stand out visually. Once that's figured out, I'll have the faces refinished (probably in the factory BBS silver) and polish the lips myself.

Comment

• Thats a hell of a score and prolly the most oddball wheel and tire combo I have ever seen. Cant wait to see them mounted up.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

• I want you to know a part of me lives vicariously through this thread. Love everything going on in here, especially you towing a trailer full of firewood, and the Craigslist BBS score. Rock on dude. Car is looking fly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                    I want you to know a part of me lives vicariously through this thread. Love everything going on in here, especially you towing a trailer full of firewood, and the Craigslist BBS score. Rock on dude. Car is looking fly.
                    I see your (my) firewood and raise you a entire 5.3 LS dropout

Originally posted by nsogiba
                    Purists, cover your eyes please.

Took a ride on a rainy Saturday to see a guy selling some stuff on Craigslist

There's the crown jewel...a decently clean 2000 5.3 with 105K miles, got the entire dropout minus trans, but including all accessories, intake, wiring harness, truck manifolds, and PCM for $400.

Loaded it up behind the work truck and hauled her home. Cammed L92/LS3 makes a great hauler.

Tossed a tarp on it for long term storage
                    ​​​​​​​
                    Last edited by nsogiba; 07-23-2018, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Went on a cruise with some Euro trash. 2x E39 M5 and Saab Turbo X.

Unearthing cool history

Moment of truth

Immediately go to WalMart to buy tiki torches as a test drive

Forgot to mention, they came with cool vintage TPMS programming magnets!

Quick cleanup with some Meguiar's Compound to see if I could breath some temporary life back into the faces

VID_20180721_192827587

Comment

• damnit with with the double posts!
                        Last edited by nsogiba; 07-23-2018, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Those LM's look awesome! Such a weird/lucky/crazy find wow.

@projects_always

Comment

• Originally posted by nsogiba View Post
                            I see your (my) firewood and raise you a entire 5.3 LS dropout

​​​​​​​

Comment

• What are your plans for those LMs? I have the exact same set of wheels (literally). Mine started off as turds too...

Not no more dough...
                              IMG_0318
                              Last edited by Bojangle5; 07-25-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• $350...

$350...

$350...

wait what?

Comment

Working...
                                X