No announcement yet.

The E38: An unexpected journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So after much debating with my insufferable wallet I took decision.

We are Facelifting.

Now I obviously went to bimmerforums and started searching for part out cars and of course I I found 2 DIRT CHEAP options on Panjo and immediately messaged the sellers.

No replies!... I guess thats what you get when you don't know that the ads were posted a year ago.

So I turned to google and added the keyword "Mexico" to the search.

It worked.

Found a yard on the borderline with this:

Yes I know it looks like shit but beats having to import it from the States.
    I have to buy new headlights because those ones got xenon raped, will work for mock up.

I got parts! tihiwewww~

Went over to give the good news to NCO and to see my car in the flesh in a long time.

It was dark so pictures are grainy... vintage style?

Someone call the bondo police!

Look at this rocker panel... Classy

Here is a hit spot on the B pillar, they have not gone up on it neither have pulled it straight yet ... *body shop timelines. I don't know how they make any money....

Car got blocked all around like 2 weeks ago, a layer of dust already covers the whole car, including the interior... which bothers me... a lot.

I will pay for all the parts tomorrow so wish me luck so I don't get scammed and actually receive parts

Comment

Dude! You should get those boxes off your rear seats! Those will leave stretch marks on the leather. Or you could at least put an old thick blanket underneath or something similar...

It would be a waste of that low mileage interior
      Lucas
      Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
      Originally posted by LCG
      High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

keep at it. Once the bodywork is done you'll have fresh motivation.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

Yup, nothing like a freshly painted car to get your motivation back.

Comment

Ah man, sorry to hear about the 3".. Have to ask tho, was there anything wrong with the shell on the blue donor?

Comment

Originally posted by nsogiba View Post
              keep at it. Once the bodywork is done you'll have fresh motivation.
              My motivation is up to the sky, as long as the body shop doesn't kill it with their stupid turn times. Which is slowly happening.

You keep it up too on that douchebag vehicle, this comes from a mexican redneck camaro owner. High 21!

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
              Dude! You should get those boxes off your rear seats! Those will leave stretch marks on the leather. Or you could at least put an old thick blanket underneath or something similar...

It would be a waste of that low mileage interior
              Haha I sprinted to the car when I saw the box but there is no seat, and to be honest. I may change the interior

Originally posted by Nixxon;15205olleyes97
              Yup, nothing like a freshly painted car to get your motivation back.

Originally posted by kevvy_dawg View Post
              Ah man, sorry to hear about the 3".. Have to ask tho, was there anything wrong with the shell on the blue donor?
              It was on a junkyard on the border, it was a US car.

Comment

You just won the award for best Sig. of the year
                Lucas
                Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                Originally posted by LCG
                High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

- "After many nominations this is the first time LCG takes the award"

Thank you, Mom, Dad, the moderators at grumpyworks...

I want to take this opportunity to talk about polar bears, polar bears are being killed.

Thank you

Comment

Comment

The up to date update says Evan.

I replied earlier but that was lame, deleted it, went over, took some pictures and came back.

Here we go…

Back in time some weeks ago I received this package.

NOOOOOOOOO they did not deliver your mommas dildo to my house by accident, this dildo is allllllllllllllllll mine.

Actually when I opened it was truly disappointing that it was not the dildo I never ordered but in fact a bunch of used parts from the blue car earlier posted.

I have never ordered used parts before.

I am a very crude human, I KNOW I should not expect LIKE NEW auto parts from a salvaged car but I will be honest here and a little part of my heart died when I opened the package. Don’t worry a lot of heart left to love you all.

That really felt like a blow, you are not intended to replace car parts with worse of the same car parts for the car to look better. Get it? Kind of confusing.

But not only that. I was so excited to show the guys at the shop the new parts that I just took the unopened package and opened there with them.

They are used to see bad parts but they surely are not used to see the owner opening them with a smile of regret and a confused look.

The fenders were awful, they needed repairs on all corners and the bottom where they meet the rocker panel were completely bent inside. Here they are as of now, half repaired. Just as a fun fact, these things are paper thin and ultralight for steel parts.

Next

Facelift kidneys

These were OK, a bunch of broken tabs but fine where they matter. No regrets other than knowing my car has broken kidneys where no one can see.

Next

A #bunchoftrim

The trim on driver’s door was pretty awful but this ones are haha… ha… haa… ha… ha.. *cries.

Next

Pair of clear top tails.

By far the best condition parts, one of them has a tiny hair crack but I can live with that. For now.

Next

Facelift headlights

Ok. This was the one thing that made me ask myself what the fuck I was doing facelifting the car.

The fenders were bad but steel can be repaired to a point.

The seller told me the headlights were fine, one had a fixable little crack and he had sold the xenon hardware long ago.

Pfttttttttttttt……

Broken lens, ok… lens are available, no big problem, they are not very nice anyway, could use some new “transparent” ones.

Butchered Xenon hardware, ok… No worries I could do a BiXenon retrofit while they paint the car.

A big broken headlight, ok… I know this will bother my shikaka tribe friends but those of you that have seen braveheart… Do you remember the face of William Wallace when he sees Robert the Bruce betrayed him on the field?. Here is a link for those of you that are younger than the movie.
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Ok Ok.. you must be saying, why don’t you this or that, but understand that this car is not as common here.

Parts for them are not easy to get and importing stuff from the states is 20% extra cost plus shipping loads of money.

That moment really had me down.

The next days I would surf the entireness of panjo/ebay/bimmerforums/etc looking for a pair of better condition headlights.

Weeks passed.

Then…

God smiled me with all his super bright colgate clean fresh teeth!

A pair of headlights, complete headlights, xenon and everything for less of the price of one without any hardware!

After spending money on a set of headlights, buying another is not what you REALLY WANT to do, but they were at a super reasonable price so I just went for it asking the ebay gods for pristine used parts.

After purchasing that and feeling the rush that most woman must feel when buying shoes I entered a shopping spree.

Bought a new set of depo smoked corners

I’m going to put amber bulbs on them to mimic orange slices, my car is euro spec so they don’t light up unless turn signals are activated.

Bought a set of umnitza cob angel eyes because fast and furious why not.

Andddddd..

The most enjoyable purchases ever for me.. pieced together a kit of the side airbags for under 30 bucks.

I’m addicted to ebay now. If I still played WoW I would be very concerned for myself now.

A few days passed and I received most of the packages, mind that I have to wait twice as long as most of you because I have to ship from seller to Hidalgo TX to a forwarding company and then wait for such company to give a fuck about my packages and import them, then ship them to me inside Mexico. I’m such a victim.

Then the holy grail of packages arrived. The headlights… If this pair was bad I was sure a vein in my brain would pop off or I would develop a one eye blink tik like a cartoon.

Luckily for me the headlights were perfect.

Much rock chips and yellow lenses but hell I was happy the actual headlight assembly was unbroken and carefully taken out of the donor car with proper tools instead of crowbars and tungsten carbide teethed goats.

Complete with xenons and everything! I felt the beam of light opening from the sky.

Minor defect most likely from shipping.

After that, a rejuvenating feeling invaded my soul and I finally took a proper solid poo.

We even did some color tests which I did not take pictures of, I salvaged these two that NCO sent me with his potato 5S cellphone.

Pretty cool right?

Yeah I don’t like it either… We are trying a couple more next week.

This is current state of the car.

Side is mostly repaired, still have to work the rocker and the doors down by it.

Removing everything to get as much paint to the bay sides as possible. After I took this picture we worked on it a bunch more and it is quite emptier now.

Finally, I **** how people tease their wheels like we were dying to know what kind of BBS RS or ACS Type2s they are running so I will be straight and show you already my choice.

US currency raised a bunch by the start of the year, almost 40% to my Mexican rupies, since my budget for wheels is the same as before, spending 5k on wheels now is like spending 8k so no 3 piece wheels for me… *cries again… for days… and days…

Luckily for me, NCO shop family is just that… FAMILY.

They got me these super 2 piece non rep Origami wheels.

Legit.

Comment

Totally legit.

Story on the VW buss behind your car? That looks pretty rad too.

Comment

I really enjoy reading this thread.

Can't wait to see more progress, glad you found some decent headlights.
                          It's sad people can see used parts "in good condition" so differently.
                          '18 BMW F80 M3 San Marino blue / Amaro brown
                          instagram.com/frodedale

Comment

Originally posted by lamsv View Post
                            Totally legit.

Story on the VW buss behind your car? That looks pretty rad too.
                            There are 2 or 3 buses right now at the shop, but I donīt know much about them. The only thing I know is they get worked on as much as any 8 year project

Originally posted by Frode D View Post
                            I really enjoy reading this thread.

Can't wait to see more progress, glad you found some decent headlights.
                            It's sad people can see used parts "in good condition" so differently.
                            So true, lesson learned. That is what I get for being so trustful.

Comment

Comment

It truely saddens me to see that these has been no updates, but the pages of Stance | Works work in mysterious ways

Comment

Working...
                                X