Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to learn something (Subaru content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ hahaha... good luck... I would do more research on cars in General. You have to know what to pick and what years to pick. Japanese cars are probably still the most reliable out there. Switching to german may be a whole nother world of problems if you choose badly again.

You don't have much knowledge of cars from what I can tell. You started a build thread with no real build in mind, and a mods list that has 4 things on it. You don't know the basics of lowering your car and wheel offsets which are pretty much the basics of modding any car. This is no ****... just an observation. The most important thing when buying an old (170K is OLD even if its a 2000 model) car is taking care of maintenance things first, and making sure your car is up to par for even beginning to mod. There is loads of stuff you can do to your Legacy. The entire drivetrain and engine from my 04 STI would drop right into your Legacy. I would start with worth while mods, and if you can't afford to do a size wheel that will do your car justice up front then save a while longer so you'll be ultimately satisfied. The same goes for suspension. You could spend 400-600 on springs and shocks that wouldn't drop your car much, and you would probably want something different pretty soon... or you could save a little more for a little while longer and get some Megan coilovers or similar which are actually a really good bang for buck on subaru's. There is no real hurry in modding your car. If you are trying to get something done fast chances are yourself or anyone else will probably not recognize your car, but it's the worthwhile builds that you will be happy with and other people might be too.

this is a factory model 2000 Legacy in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by grippymonkey View Post
      ^ hahaha... good luck... I would do more research on cars in General. You have to know what to pick and what years to pick. Japanese cars are probably still the most reliable out there. Switching to german may be a whole nother world of problems if you choose badly again.

You don't have much knowledge of cars from what I can tell. You started a build thread with no real build in mind, and a mods list that has 4 things on it. You don't know the basics of lowering your car and wheel offsets which are pretty much the basics of modding any car. This is no ****... just an observation. The most important thing when buying an old (170K is OLD even if its a 2000 model) car is taking care of maintenance things first, and making sure your car is up to par for even beginning to mod. There is loads of stuff you can do to your Legacy. The entire drivetrain and engine from my 04 STI would drop right into your Legacy. I would start with worth while mods, and if you can't afford to do a size wheel that will do your car justice up front then save a while longer so you'll be ultimately satisfied. The same goes for suspension. You could spend 400-600 on springs and shocks that wouldn't drop your car much, and you would probably want something different pretty soon... or you could save a little more for a little while longer and get some Megan coilovers or similar which are actually a really good bang for buck on subaru's. There is no real hurry in modding your car. If you are trying to get something done fast chances are yourself or anyone else will probably not recognize your car, but it's the worthwhile builds that you will be happy with and other people might be too.
      I am doing my research, and talking to people. By now I've got pretty good idea on how to drop a car and other small mods. Trying to self educate myself on cars in general by reading whole bunch. I am still a noob though, so whatever comes to my mind will has to get approved by other people that know more than me, which is why you see this thread here. I am not looking into engine swap or anything of that nature for now. That would be to big of a deal for me with my knowledge. For now I'd like to stick with basic maintenance and visual mods.

Now, as far as my poor car choice goes. Every experience is a good experience in my book. I was in the hurry to get a car, but I've learned my lesson really well. I trusted a dealer that lied to me. They knew exactly what was wrong but I was being a noob trusted their mechanic that check out the car and said it was good. (I know it was lame) I asked them about known subaru problems such as headgasket, and "they did an inspection" and said that "car has no leaks". As it turns out head gasket has external leak, it's leaking oil and coolant and there are whole bunch of other known Subaru problems that can put you on the side of the road. The good part about it, is that I called them up and seems like they are willing to work with me. Not sure what they are going to do about it, but most likely they will just make me pick another car and sell mine to some other noob like me hoping he will not find out its problems soon enough to blame them. This time I will get the car inspected in independent shop and will look a lot closer at all little things (leak in my legacy was obvious if you look close enough).
      Last edited by RomanTaylor; 08-26-2009, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X