No announcement yet.

Wide body, 3 piece rpf1's Mk4 Golf build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost completed this part. Waiting on LEDs and foam. Also need to raise top cover 1/2" because of forward excursion of sub. Oversight on my part. Covered inside pieces of raw MDF with grey to tidy the inside and wired it up. Also finished wrapping with black speaker carpet and vinyl. Redoing diamonds with thicker foam on thursday when foam arrives.

Comment

• Kept working on interior stuff today. I peeled the door inserts out and scraped the old foam with a wire wheel. It worked perfect, then I sanded it further. I clamped the 1/8th closed cell foam to the panel insert and trimmed close, then trimmed a final time right to the edge where the fabric folds over. I cut the glue from the little tabs behind the door skin to preserve the tabs. It was tricky to wrap the inserts with the diamond pleats because of the relatively complex curves. It's a bit wrinkly but predict the wrinkles will slowly release as the foam puffs back out. I'm ok with the results. I had to make a spacer plate for the speaker box because I just saw that the sub moves 3/4" forward excursion so a portion of the day was devoted to making that adjustment. I used velcro to fix the top cover and flush mount panel to the speaker box. This makes things easy to remove and put back.

Next I have to do the passenger door and the rear interior inserts. They should be easy because theres not much shape too them.

Comment

• Looking good broski!
        sigpic

Comment

• Starting the fenders by finishing the shape using cardboard before they get copied and cut from wood. This is called building a buck. I'll be making a fender edge from sheet metal that will connect each station and one strip of sheet metal that will mark the perimeter of the fender where it meets the car. The building of the buck will be a task in itself, but it will make the fender shaping process easier as I will have two bucks (left and right) and therefore making symmetrical fenders will be easier. Here's the shape:

Here's the LED effect in sub box. Still waiting on other 8W7 to test my box. Cant wait to see how it sounds.

Interior: Gonna redo driver door.

Comment

• Finished all the fabric/upholstery on the speaker box today. I got thicker foam to make puffier diamonds that would match the trunk. Sewed it up and added a piping edge so I could flip up the diamond piece and fix it to the box using a staple and then allowing the flap to cover the staple. This worked quite well as using adhesive is tricky and doesn't always lay flat or go well the first try. Box now matches better. Picked up wiring pieces like a detachable harness so the two LED strips will work in unison. Now I have to finish wiring the LEDs then attach the box to the car and move onto the next job. Did more work on the fenders: started making curved strips for the buck. Also bought an innertube for the top wheel of my english wheel. THis helps to curve the fender in the one direction but not stretch it linearly. It works well. Stapled velcro to attach cover and clean up open edge of diamond to top of box. Everything looks very tidy

Comment

• Great work as always, you're good at everything!

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                Great work as always, you're good at everything!
                Well thank you very much! I just don't post the pics of stuff that didn't work lol

Comment

• More here: https://www.instagram.com/jb_maf/

Comment

• damn that's some proper craftmanship right here.

wish i had the skills to make a set up like this,,

keep up the good work, can't wait to see some more exterior progress,

i shouldn't be daily driving this:
                    "Volkswagen Golf mk1 build thread"

Comment

• Just spent my 1 hour lunch reading through the entire journal. Super super cool build.

This is the type of stuff that really makes me wish I had some more time and money to dedicate to truly building a car myself. Less off-the-shelf stuff and building up the courage to just try things out and work through problems.

Incredible build thus far and I can't wait to see what's in store with the cage and the widebody, not to mention that big ol' turbo that's gonna launch that 1.8t to light speed. Incredible work, I only wish you were local to me so I could photo document the entire build with my camera!
                      1992 Mercedes 190 E | 2002 DTM Inspired IS300 | IG @ DAAR_CREATIVE

Comment

• Really nice overall build brotha. Those wheels are tits and with the wide body your building....ooowweeeiii!
                        IG: tonygqmoney

Comment

• Originally posted by DutchieSaxo View Post
                          damn that's some proper craftmanship right here.

wish i had the skills to make a set up like this,,

keep up the good work, can't wait to see some more exterior progress,
                          exterior progress post!

Originally posted by JDMexican View Post
                          Just spent my 1 hour lunch reading through the entire journal. Super super cool build. Thanks alot! I appreciate the feedback

This is the type of stuff that really makes me wish I had some more time and money to dedicate to truly building a car myself. Less off-the-shelf stuff and building up the courage to just try things out and work through problems.

Incredible build thus far and I can't wait to see what's in store with the cage and the widebody, not to mention that big ol' turbo that's gonna launch that 1.8t to light speed. Incredible work, I only wish you were local to me so I could photo document the entire build with my camera!
                          That would be cool to have it documented professionally. For now I use the iphone and I guess that will have to do.

Originally posted by tonygqmoney View Post
                          Really nice overall build brotha. Those wheels are tits and with the wide body your building....ooowweeeiii!
                          Haha, thanks I like the wheels too.

Comment

• Buck building update: I had to just start trying stuff and I kind of figured out something that will work. I cut sheet metal and wheeled it out to follow the body lines. I tig welded some tabs to connect to my wooden stations so I could screw them to the metal strip, then screwed the strip in a couple places to the car to keep it fixed. The fender edge was then screwed (for now) to the edge of the wooden stations until I make more sheet metal tabs and tig weld them to the flat fender edge. The buck itself is robust and I will begin to make the other side tomorrow. The next step is to pin pattern paper to the buck and make lines where the metal needs to either shrink, stretch or bend. I'm on the right track and it feels good to get to this stage! Thanks for everyone who is tuned into this build.

Comment

• Can't wait to see this finished, this is gonna be awesome!

Comment

• Great build thread! You really have some amazing skills! Can't wait to see some more body work done!
                                Keep it up with the nice work!

Comment

Working...
                                X