Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Which Car Code Reader do you use?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    75

    Default Which Car Code Reader do you use?

    I don't have one, but I am thinking about getting one soon. Does anybody hooked up their car to a lap top? Can you guys suggest USB to OBD II cable and software? Here is what I've found on ebay; another one. I already have a lap top, so it seems like it will be cheaper that way and it will have whole bunch more functions than regular code reader which would cost me around $60 for a basic one.
    Last edited by RomanTaylor; 08-09-2009 at 06:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    The one Autozone has for free.
    MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
    Instagram - @osshwa

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OSSHWA View Post
    The one Autozone has for free.
    What you mean? Free code reader or they will do this for you?
    Last edited by RomanTaylor; 08-10-2009 at 04:46 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanTaylor View Post
    What you mean? Free code reader or they will do this for you?
    They do it for you.
    MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
    Instagram - @osshwa

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanTaylor View Post
    I don't have one, but I am thinking about getting one soon. Does anybody hooked up their car to a lap top? Can you guys suggest USB to OBD II cable and software? Here is what I've found on ebay; another one. I already have a lap top, so it seems like it will be cheaper that way and it will have whole bunch more functions than regular code reader which would cost me around $60 for a basic one.
    I have a Snap-on Solus for light duty stuff probably out of most casual wrenchers' price range.

    I also have a PDA running EASE's OBD-II software and it is great for quick scans and taking on the road for trips and such.

    http://www.obd2.com/index_prof.html

    What make are you driving as some are specific as such, (I.E. vag-com makes great VW/Audi Scanner software)

  6. #6

    Default

    Go into a autozone, give them your DL and they let you borrow a reader. No reason to buy one if you don't do side jobs for people or are a mechanic.
    my name is andy.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    2,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fiziks View Post
    Go into a autozone, give them your DL and they let you borrow a reader. No reason to buy one if you don't do side jobs for people or are a mechanic.
    I don't even do that. I just go in and tell them I need a code scanned/erased. And voila.
    MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
    Instagram - @osshwa

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,267

    Default

    I have BMP's version of the Peake scan tool.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    For OBDII I have a ScanGuageII

    http://www.scangauge.com/

    It's mounted permanently in my sunglass holder and I use it to read IAT, Water Temp, Voltage and Inst MPG. Haven't actually had any CEL's to clear or read with it, but it does do it. Asked for it for xmas last year haha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •