Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished up a wheel tonight using the new method...Not bad but did i love it? No.

camera phone pics suck i know.
    chUD..........Asphalt-sux

"Success causes envy , jealousy & hatred from the un-successful !!!! "Gregg Valentino

Comment

Hey...guys i need some advice. You'll probably have a better idea than i do. How would i go about polishing these lips? I've polished stuff before, but never anything this bad.

Comment

You're probably going to have to start off with 220 grit. The wheels I posted were about as crappy to begin with.

95 Bonneville SLE... Too much done to it..
        98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy
        07 Infiniti G35s 6MT
        07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
        05 Suzuki DRZ400S
        72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers
        83 Yamaha IT175

Comment

180 on a block. work up from there.
          chUD..........Asphalt-sux

"Success causes envy , jealousy & hatred from the un-successful !!!! "Gregg Valentino

Comment

I do this shit that absolute hardest way, but honestly I love doing it so it's not that bad...

I usually go 80 on the outer lip where the tire beads, just to clean up light curbage/tire install/removal dings, etc...

Then on the rest I go 180, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1k. Then I go back over them with 400, 600, 800, 1k, 1500, 2k, 2500 all wet. I usually use mothers all metal polish for the initial polish, probably do this 10 times. Then I use 3m cutting compounds, such as extra cut, fine, and swirl mark remover. Then I use a Mother's cleaner wax, and a spray wax for the final step.

My first set ( Sebring Zeiger 5 16x8/ +38, 16x8.5/ +32 by rays)

I also did a set of oldschool Ansen slot mags for a customer, he didn't want a complete mirror finish, although they were damn close when I was done. Those wheels are an absolute ROUGH casting from the factory cast, and they were dated 1963 with SEMA stickers on the inside barrel. Going on a period correct 33 willys, sbc/4spd.

I actually polished the entire wheel, lips/faces/centers...

We are currently in the process of mirror polishing a set of SI wheels, a few valve covers, and possibly a 6 point cage...not sure yet though.

I'll post pics of the SI's when we are done.
            Last edited by Lt. Dangle; 11-02-2010, 03:04 PM.
            Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
            Fuck Rotas, I'd rather my wheels not break apart when I drive over a watermelon seed.

Comment

that's my work:

I'm still a beginner.

Comment

This thread is Amazing! I wish i saw thi sthread two weeks ago before i sent my wheels off to get the lips re-polished

I need to do this!
                e36 ///M3
                IG: saeed87

Comment

Originally posted by ziemenz View Post
                  that's my work:

I'm still a beginner.
                  Wow! Nice job! Please share your technique.

Comment

Did this a short cut way.

Bench grinder + de-burring/finishing wheel, then polished with black (1000 grit) compound with polishing pad on bench grinder. Have yet to finish with finer compounds..

What do you guys think for only a 2 stage, no sanding, polishing?

Comment

Very good result for such a quick process. How much time did you spend with the black compound?

Comment

i could have gotten away with one pass, however there were a couple of spots I wanted to knock down a bit, so I had to go over it twice, but I dont think that added any depth or shine.

One pass with the black would take me approximately 5 minutes? I will hit it with the grey, white, and green sticks, I just need more pads.

Here's a comparison photo to see what they look like before work gets done to them. I think I will make a build thread as I refinish my Super RS'

Comment

The one thing that stands out in the comparison, aside from the finish, is that the edges are very rounded after. Is that something that could have been reduced (if you were inclined to do so) with a less rapid approach?

Comment

Hey guys, I have DIY refurbed and polished my wheels too, the lips came out pretty good, but the mops I have are not that wide and I can't really polish the faces with them, they come out spoty because of the very little surface contact, could you guys give me some advice on what to use to polish flat surfaces? Oh and pls don't suggest expensive machinery because I'm on a budget.

The kit i used:

Before:

During:

After: (kinda)

sorry for picture quality...
                            Last edited by Joker; 12-06-2010, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
                              The one thing that stands out in the comparison, aside from the finish, is that the edges are very rounded after. Is that something that could have been reduced (if you were inclined to do so) with a less rapid approach?
                              In real life, there is very little difference by touch. The difference of finish on the OE cap makes it appear to have a more rigid line due to the contrasting finishes used for sides/top. It did round the edges a bit, but I dont imagine sanding by hand would have different results..

Nice polish job on those wheels ^^ that skinny wheel is similar to what I am using.. How do you find the thicker wheel? Easier for lips?

Comment

Originally posted by C.Johnston View Post
                                Nice polish job on those wheels ^^ that skinny wheel is similar to what I am using.. How do you find the thicker wheel? Easier for lips?
                                If u are reffering to me I used them both on the lips, the wide one fits right on the sloped part so that was great, however the wider wheel leaves a lot of black residue, which I **** cleaning off the most, it requires more time than polishing itself Some tips how to avoid heavy residue? Tryed less compound, but it won't come out as shiny.

Comment

Working...
                                X