Are these wheel bolts salvagable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these wheel bolts salvagable?

These are (were) gold CCW wheel bolts and have seen better days. What can I do to get these back to their original state all nice and shiny?

hit them with some vinegar and fine steel wool. they'll brighten up. just make sure there's no actual rust.

Comment

Thanks! how long should I let them sit in vinegar for?

Comment

if they rusted like that, they will do so again so make sure you coat them with something when youre done so they don't rust immediately

i would suggest new m8 hardware. the bolt heads look like cheap hardware store 6 points. I'm surprised to be honest that is what came on the old ccw wheels. looks like home depot grade lol
        Last edited by 1badg35; 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM.
        sigpic
        1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
        1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

Originally posted by 1badg35 View Post
          if they rusted like that, they will do so again so make sure you coat them with something when youre done so they don't rust immediately

i would suggest new m8 hardware. the bolt heads look like cheap hardware store 6 points
          +1, the same advice I would give.
          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
          Originally posted by Ollie
          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

You guys are awesome thanks

1badg35 u got PM!

Comment

Honestly, new ones from CCW are cheaper than you think. I replaced mine when refinishing a set of CCW's a few years back.
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/imag...es/cruisin.gif

Comment

as long as they're not $200, then I'll probably do that. The vinegar took off the gold

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_tA_4 View Post
                  as long as they're not $200, then I'll probably do that. The vinegar took off the gold
                  those look like M8 bolts, you can find those at any hardware store ie Fastenal or Mcmaster-Carr catalog just MAKE SURE they're Grade 10 automotive, otherwise they will snap and kill you

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head...crews/=106ovfz

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_tA_4 View Post
                    Fools gold. Yellow zinc.

Scroll down to "Metric Zinc Yellow-Chromate Plated Class 10.9 Steel" and find your size.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

I had these done in yellow zinc:

Comment

We have new chromed steel 10.9 grade and made in Europe bolts for $1.00 each and a new nut for $0.25 each. They are M7x1x31mm
                      Chris Lane - fifteen52 - Join us on Facebook
                      chris@fifteen52.com 813.505.7910 - direct : 213.373.1552
                      RML | 52 Wheels | KW | ST | B&G | Newing-Alpil | C2 | Air-Lift

Comment

Damn, already bought new ones from CCW for $140 shipped (80 of them). I do have another set to refinish however...

Comment

Working...
                        X