Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My built, widened and bagged 06 WRX Wagon

Very nice build. Can't wait to get bags on my Evo..

2. Default

i can help share some bay problems i ran into while doing mine. funny, were doing similar things in different orders haha. i love the car, my friend. **** hawkeyes, but this one looks fantastic. you can pull it off VERY well

Quote Originally Posted by hinrichs View Post
    So glad I could finally see all the pics in your thread and I had the time to actually read everything. Solid build and cant wait to see the bay once its finished and you get it all cleaned up. Props to having a fiance/soon to be wife that is so cool with you working on it so much.
    Thank you for the kind words! She is very awesome and she appreciates the recognition haha

Quote Originally Posted by OSSHWA View Post
    Very extensive build with a keen attention to detail. I dig this man!
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Clint_McMIllan_95 View Post
    i can help share some bay problems i ran into while doing mine. funny, were doing similar things in different orders haha. i love the car, my friend. **** hawkeyes, but this one looks fantastic. you can pull it off VERY well
    Thank you! I'd love to hear any input you have, that would be great! Shoot me a PM/post here/whatever is easiest, thanks for the offer I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by labuffness View Post
    Very nice build. Can't wait to get bags on my Evo..
    Shoot me a PM or e-mail john@bagriders.com I'd love to help you out!

----

Well, didn't have much time last week to work on the car-- had stuff to do every night but was able to spend a couple hours this weekend and got the two engine harness plug harnesses decoupled from the rest of the harness. I also soldered on wire extensions for the three wires that are cut in this photo. I used some high quality TFL stranded copper wire and stepped up one gauge (e.g., 10awg extended with 12awg) to hopefully maintain signal integrity. I think the two smaller wires go to a relay for one of the radiator fans and the larger yellow wire surely carries some current, so I'm not too worried about any of it. I had to cut up the fender well grommet a bit to get the plugs through it, but I managed to do so in a way that I'll be able to re-seal it without any issues.

As you can see I got some padding for the floor to keep my butt from freezing off haha. Even though its only like 3/4" it is soooo much nicer to sit on than the concrete floor, and with the space heater right next to me it actually stays pretty warm! Whenever I go from work to modding, I always park my daily in the garage and pop the hood and the warmth put off by the engine raises the temp by a few degrees pretty quickly. Every little bit helps haha.

It's my fiance's birthday today and we're both taking the day off tomorrow then I'm headed to Maine on Wednesday to visit family for the holidays, so I won't be working on the car until Monday or so. I'm going to bring my engine harness with me so I can hopefully finish that up while I'm chillin' in Maine. I'm just about ready to start putting everything back together and I've got a crapload of Scotch 88 electrical tape and various wire looming to do it all "the right way" and as OEM as possible.

I'm really trying hard not to add anything to my already very full plate of "to-do's" but while I've got the brake system bled, I'm reallllly tempted to rebuild my calipers so they look brand new.... We will see haha

Alright back to work! Thanks for the kind words everyone and happy holidays!

Well not all that much progress due to holidays and such, but at least I've got somewhere!

I finally got the driver-side harness all separated, only had to clip three wires which is nice. I've enlarged the hole near the clutch pedal in order to fit the engine harness connectors through it, along with new wires from the rear-mounted battery to the starter. I'm using an old radiator hose to protect the wires passing through the firewall. The connectors will sit somewhere near the starter in a stealthy manner, just need to avoid the ol' steering shaft. As you can see, I disconnected just about everything below the dash in order to give myself more room. I had a real nice sore back following the day of being cramped under the dash, there is no comfortable position to work in that area lol.

While I was at my folks house for the holidays I brought with me my engine harness so that I could tinker with that while I was bored there. I cut off all the unused plugs and pulled the wires back to their respective harness connectors. I've got the harness in the bay now, just need to figure out where I want the connections to happen before I start re-looming with some nice black sheathing.

After a delayed start, the cold weather is here in VT (3 degrees today ) which ironically lights a fire under my ass to get this thing out of my garage, it's cold out there.

Looks good john! I'll have to hit you up on fb today or tomorrow and share where my progress is as well. I'm about at the same spot currently. I have a lot of extra length on the engine harnesses that are inside the cabin now. They are through the firewall he but I need to loom them and seal the hole. I didn't want to shorten the harness so I got creative tucking the wiring inside.

Gotta lengthen an injector wire and the alternator wiring and re ground the main harness and I should be okay. Everything reaches my fuse box location currently

Quote Originally Posted by Wirtz View Post
    Looks good john! I'll have to hit you up on fb today or tomorrow and share where my progress is as well. I'm about at the same spot currently. I have a lot of extra length on the engine harnesses that are inside the cabin now. They are through the firewall he but I need to loom them and seal the hole. I didn't want to shorten the harness so I got creative tucking the wiring inside.

Gotta lengthen an injector wire and the alternator wiring and re ground the main harness and I should be okay. Everything reaches my fuse box location currently
    Hey dude thanks! Just a heads up, I'm very rarely if ever on Facebook, DM on Instagram or e-mail is the best way to reach me! I spent last night getting my engine harness routing figured out, I didn't have to extend anything on that after having it entirely unloomed. I should have it all re-loomed this weekend.

After that I focused on the new fusebox-- built a bracket (using the mounting spots for the washer fluid res on 06/07), and separated the alternator wiring from that crazy junction/cluster of wires just before the fuse box. Next up for me is extending the alternator wires and running the new fusebox-to-battery wire with the rest of the fender harness to the Tee I have mounted up behind the cabin fuse box. Once that is done, I can wrap the fender harness back up and mount the new fuse box enclosure for good. I think I'll just use a single 4awg wire to extend the alternator post wires, what are your plans for that?

Going on a little getaway on Saturday with my Fiancee for her birthday, but hope to get a little bit done maybe tonight and/or Sunday -- I'll snap some pics too!

Got a little work done this weekend, basically got the fuse box situated. Just need to run a 4AWG from the fuse box main fuse terminal on the bottom of the fuse box out with the rest of the harness running along top of the fender well, then that thing is all set to seal back up. Hoping to get that done tonight!

PS - That wheel is under the car because I have a (hopefully) irrational fear of jack stands failing

Big fan of your wagon, everything flows so well.

Quote Originally Posted by saturnstance View Post
    Big fan of your wagon, everything flows so well.
    Why thank ya! It's been cold af here in VT, but this week is gonna be super duper warm (we're talkin 30+ degrees here people) so I'm looking forward to spending some time out in the garage and hopefully wrapping up the driver side wiring, then it's onto the passenger side.

I've been a real loser and up to this point have been telling myself not to pull the dash trim, because reasons. That has in turn made any amount of work around the pedals and what not a true pain in the butt, so maybe I'll spend some time doing that.

Working on this project has made me realize a few things:
    1. I enjoy having no time limit on car projects.
    2. I have the attention span of a toddler.
    3. I am a better mechanic when I'm not concerned with getting things done quickly.
    4. I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's part of the fun
    5. I have trouble making up my mind.

More pics soon!

I can heavily relate to all of them..specifically #2 lol

Lovely! Looks fantastic. Is that a TWM shift knob you had before the swap?

- Renato
    TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com

Quote Originally Posted by John@BagRiders View Post

Working on this project has made me realize a few things:
    1. I enjoy having no time limit on car projects.
    2. I have the attention span of a toddler.
    3. I am a better mechanic when I'm not concerned with getting things done quickly.
    4. I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's part of the fun
    5. I have trouble making up my mind.

High 21!

its like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Quote Originally Posted by LCG View Post
    High 21!

its like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.
    I like this

Quote Originally Posted by TWM Performance View Post
    Lovely! Looks fantastic. Is that a TWM shift knob you had before the swap?

- Renato
    Thanks for the kind words! Yes it sure was, the Desert Eagle! It's still sitting here on my desk at work, love that thing! I was planning on putting it in another 5spd Subie but ended up buying a LGT specB which has a 6spd Nevertheless, I'm holding onto it for when I get another 5spd!

I can heavily relate to all of them..specifically #2 lol
    Lulz

Well last night I pulled the turbo and this weekend I'll be meeting up with the buyer, so I'm committing to going bigger! I also removed the cast coolant line to have it blasted and painted black, along with a few other random brackets. I'm going to clean the block and paint it with some high temp black paint, which should give a nice clean look and hopefully look especially nice once everything is back together. I've always loved subtle touches like that when admiring a build, so I figured while I've got it all apart I might as well do it.

Here's how she's lookin now, I think tonight I'll pull the OE power steering lines, that pesky hard line for the turbo oil feed (to replace with a flexible braided line), make some headway on the driver wiring harness and I guess whatever else my wandering attention leads me to lol.

This build is so clean! Love it, in for more!

I always start out wanting to work on one thing..end up doing something else and never getting done what I intended lol

Excited to see more progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    This build is so clean! Love it, in for more!
    Thank you!

I always start out wanting to work on one thing..end up doing something else and never getting done what I intended lol

Excited to see more progress.
    Story of my life haha

Alright got some good work done this weekend! I wrapped up the driver side wiring harness, went a little overboard on it but hey better safe than sorry. I loomed the entire thing with Super 88 electrical tape, slightly thicker stuff, then wrapped it again with the OEM nylon sheathing and wrapped that up tight with more electrical tape. The section of harness passing into the fuse box is shielded in a chunk of old radiator hose, then once I had the box closed I made a cone shape out of more radiator hose kinda like the firewall grommets in the engine bay. I sealed everything from the inside with weatherproof door and window silicone, so I'm very confident the fuse box will keep nice and dry. I also coated every terminal and plug (and solder joint for that matter) with dielectric grease.

Here's the finished product, note the electrical tape randomly on the box was just to hold everything in place while the silicone dries, it's not there for waterproofing by any means lol.

After I got that finished up, it was back to the bay. I drilled out all the spot welds for the battery tray and yanked that out, then went at the engine with a wire brush. My intention was to just do the very front parts that are more or less visible, but I kinda went a little bit OCD and just did the entire thing completely disregarding that a lot of it will be covered up by the intake, various hoses, and stuff like that. I planned on painting it black with some high temp engine paint, but I'm really digging the brushed look so maybe I'll leave it like this? Any thoughts on this?

Oh I also did some work on my wheel well brake lines. Since the entire system is empty I figured it would be a good time to finally install some stainless brake hoses. Like everything else I've done recently, I took the opportunity to clean all the crap off the brake line bracket, it's crazy how much gunk builds up on these things. Not this thing those, clean as can be! I also cleaned all the gunk off my calipers. I planned on disassembling them and repainting them, but they look pretty good so I don't think I'll spend any more time on those, got more important stuff to do!

I'm gonna start ordering stuff this week so I can start getting the car back together, horrah!

For anyone interested, here's the list of new goodies for putting it back together:

Blouch Dominator 1.5 XTR 10cm hot side, 3" inlet
    Killer B 4-1 Holy Header
    GrimmSpeed EWG Up Pipe
    Tial 38mm Wastegate
    IAG Fuel Rails (black)
    IAG Fuel Line Kit
    Aeromotive -6 FPR
    Chase Bays Brake Line Kit for ABS Delete
    Chase Bays Power Steering Kit
    Killer B low profile engine coolant tank
    Mishimoto polished radiator and new hoses

I'm currently debating what I want to do with the intake manifold. My current plan is to shave off all the bungs I don't use then have it mirror polished, sell my port matched TGV's in favor of IAG's machined version (IMO they look better). But, already got a pretty big list of "to-do's" and I don't know if I'll have time to put that much work into the intake manifold... we'll see!
    Last edited by John@BagRiders; 01-31-2016 at 09:58 PM.

For the engine, I think black would be a nice touch, but I don't think you have much black anywhere else on the car..i'd stay with the brushed look.

or you could paint it orange like I saw someone do lol

Looks good dude!

Manifold will take some dedication just a heads up. Once you shave the bungs off, you're gonna need to do the whole thing if you have the wrinkle texture to it. Needs to all match. I spent most of last winter here and there taking time on it. I have two more bungs I could do but not for this year. Best bet is to spend the $100 on a spare manifold on eBay and shave that and then flip them later

For the engine, I think black would be a nice touch, but I don't think you have much black anywhere else on the car..i'd stay with the brushed look.

or you could paint it orange like I saw someone do lol
    I made it black

Actually. I take back what I said. That looks awesome.

Actually. I take back what I said. That looks awesome.
    Thank ya! I'm diggin it. Just picked up a black delrin oil filler cap, damn expensive for what it is but I know it will look good with the rest of the engine bay. Had to bite the bullet on that one!

In other news, parts have started arriving and I'm getting realllllly excited to start putting this thing back together!

Pictured we've got:
    • HKS Equal Length Headers
    • GrimmSpeed Up Pipe w/Thermal Coating
    • Blouch Dominator 1.5XTR w/optional 3" Inlet
    • STI Oil Cooler Assembly

The last, and least exciting piece on that list is an unfortunate requirement for us 06/07 WRX folk (and I think some Foresters?) that want to run an equal length manifold. Subaru, for whatever reason, put an angled plate in the oil cooler assembly which puts the oil filter in the path of equal length runners. This will solve that problem.

I'm just waiting on my Chase Bays goodies (power steering and brake line kits) to arrive before I bolt these bad boys up as the first step of putting the car back together. Having the up pipe/turbo out really makes it easy to access the fittings on on the power steering rack, hence why I'm waiting to bolt this stuff up.

I'll also be wrapping the headers, up pipe and down pipe with DEI titanium thermal wrap and slapping a blanket on the turbine housing. I know I'm going to loose a bit of spool with the larger turbo, so I'm taking whatever steps I can to marginalize that loss and pick up some power to the left and under the curve! Every little bit helps, not to mention hopefully lowering under hood temps!

Made some headway last night, nothing really exciting just finished up painting the last bits of the block and replaced my oil cooler with the STI one. Oh, and installed a slick new oil filler neck cap, woo woo!

Engine is lookin good I think. I wire brushed the passenger side AVCS hard line, gotta do the driver side tonight.

Old and new, the old one wasn't 100% off at this point

I splurged on this piece a little bit, but I think it will help tie everything together

I've got some DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap coming in today so I'll be wrapping my headers/up pipe/down pipe tonight. As soon as my power steering line kit comes in I'm ready to get the exhaust/turbo remounted and move forward with the project!

Maybe I missed it, did you use just regular engine enamel paint ?

Maybe I missed it, did you use just regular engine enamel paint ?
    Yep, some like 1500 degree stuff or something nutty like that.

---

I wrapped my headers/up pipe/down pipe stuff in DEI titanium exhaust wrap and masked off the flanges and various bungs in prep of painting them.

Then I painted them with DEI exhaust wrap paint, I think this will make for a smokey first start

I also brushed both of my AVCS hard lines, I need to go pick up a high temp clearcoat for them. I also sprayed down the driver/passenger side heads a little more as I had stuff removed. I'm going to wait to do the valve covers until I have the motor out, but they'll be black too.

The interior is a bit of a mess right now haha

---

Next up...
    My Chase Bays power steering and brake line kits arrive this week which is exciting! Once I get the power steering lines situated I can bolt up everything up to the turbo since that will all come out with the engine anyhow. I've got a 3" pipe coming in this week that I'm hoping will work for a custom turbo inlet.

I'm about to take a week vacation in Florida with my fiancee but when I'm back I should have everything I need to begin putting the car back together so I can yank the motor out and get the bay done. I feel like spring is right around the corner so I'm really excited to get it back on the road with a new tune!

Looking forward to see how everything looks painted black..i've been debating forever about painting some stuff in the bay, but have gone undecided ( I saw you painted the alternator too lol).