No announcement yet.

1971 Datsun 510 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Lost to Photobucket's change of policy)
    Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-11-2017, 05:57 PM.
    Instagram @markrogerson
    1971 Datsun 510
    1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Great build.

Comment

Flipping through the new Roadkill magazine (by David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan of Hot Rod) when I come across this

Sent off some pictures months ago and kind of forgot about it. Had to run back to the superstore to buy another copy haha.

In other news sold my weber 40s and bought a set of 45s, hoping they'll work nicer on the long rod!
        Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-11-2017, 05:56 PM.
        Instagram @markrogerson
        1971 Datsun 510
        1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Finally got around to getting my header installed, Primed/painted then wrapped. Nowhere local does ceramic coating and with me leaving to ontario for work in a few weeks decided to go this route so the car will be driveable while I'm gone incase dad needs to move it in/out of the garage.

Spent a good 30 minutes turning it every way possible trying to make it fit without dropping the centerlink but eventually had to go that route. Of course it didn't want to budge so after spending awhile beating on it I eventually went out and bought a tierod end wedge kit and had the 2 joints off in 5 minutes. A lot can be said for having the right tool lol.

Tomorrow morning I'll go about putting the 45s on and then I'll be waiting for my valve cover gasket, throttle cable and bottom linkage that I ordered to arrive.
          Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-11-2017, 05:54 PM.
          Instagram @markrogerson
          1971 Datsun 510
          1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

So hasn't been an update on here in awhile because I got sent even further away from home, Borden Ontario (hour north of Toronto) and wasn't able to take my Datsun's That being said did come across this

1986 Corolla SR5 with *gasp* an auto. Since its the lower SR5 trim and with a disgusting auto to boot got this thing super cheap. Doesn't have a spec of rust on it so am very happy!

Now some people might not be impressed but remember that Sr20 I got for the 620...well I threw it in the back of my impreza wagon and took it with me to Ontario haha, you can probably see where I'm going with this. The Toyota purists might not be happy but the motor is here and the 86 needs a transplant so tough luck

Suspension/wheels will come first while I slowly build up the SR is the plan. Already have some wheels picked out too!
            Instagram @markrogerson
            1971 Datsun 510
            1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

I'm surprised too see you don't have many comments! Your cars are really cool, 510 reminds me F-Bomb from F&F.

Comment

New car choice, motor swap choice and wheel selection all on point
                Proceed.....
                conversion syndicate*

4g63 swapped Hilux: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75423

ig: makercruuz

Comment

a few updated pictures for this thread since my corolla one has been getting all the love

Instagram @markrogerson
                  1971 Datsun 510
                  1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Well finally settled in the new place and finally have my baby back. First order of business was to swap out the old 13s for a set of SSR MkII's. Running 14x7+0 up front and 14x7.5 -6 out back. Was worried my rears might not fit but turns out my 13s were way more aggressive than I was told and they fit they exact same. Only markings on them are 13x7 and was told they were 0 offset but they fit closer to a -15 it seems.

Up next will be finally picking up an r180 and maybe some brakes at some point.

Maybe even getting the 620 here soon, still deciding what engine I want to put in that. It's great to be back!
                    Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-11-2017, 05:52 PM.
                    Instagram @markrogerson
                    1971 Datsun 510
                    1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Ah 510's have a special place in my heart, the car that got me into all of these shenanigans was my best friends 710 rat coupe. Needless to say it was the best first car a kid could ask for and it taught us a lot. This was at JCCS in I think 2012 or 13 we went both years i forget. Such fun little cars, he ended up totaling it sadly

I still regret every day not trading my old w201 for this thing when I had the chance, seriously cool guy and car I don't know where it is today though

I'm subbed
                      Last edited by 190Evan; 02-28-2017, 01:47 PM.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                      I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Next order of business isn't as cool as bigger brakes or rear coils but it needs to be done all the same. Crossmember and mustache bar bushings are totally shot so ordered a set of both from Whiteline, while I have everything off might as well do the rear control arms so have a set from Energy on the way too. Going to clean up and paint everything while im at it and probably get the exhaust hole in the crossmember enlarged so I'm not rattling my exhaust against it while idling.

Poor things

Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-11-2017, 05:49 PM.
                        Instagram @markrogerson
                        1971 Datsun 510
                        1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Your nonliving car parts now have life growing on them sir

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                          I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                            Your nonliving car parts now have life growing on them sir
                            That's just very old undercoating haha, thought that myself when I first picked up the car
                            Instagram @markrogerson
                            1971 Datsun 510
                            1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Got a good chunk of work done today! Crossmember is out, control arms are off, and diff is out!

Was expecting everything to put up much more of a fight, only issues I ran into were some seized bolts holding the diff in but with enough persuasion and heat was able to pound them out or grind them flush.

Tomorrow I'll work at removing the mustache bar from the diff, fitting the stub axles into the r180, and hitting the crossmember with a wire wheel to clean it up. Hopefully find someone local to enlarge the exhaust hole too
                              Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-11-2017, 05:47 PM.
                              Instagram @markrogerson
                              1971 Datsun 510
                              1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Brought my crossmember with me to work today and spent the day cleaning it up and pressing the old bearings out. Only a handful of us there since it's March break so able to work my own stuff. Might get the crossmember sandblasted by a co worker if there's time tomorrow. When i got home went to work on the diffs, took the old r160 stubs out, pressed the axle studs out of them and went to change the driveshaft flange but my cheap impact wouldn't budge the nut... Guess that's coming with me to work tomorrow as well haha.

Crossmember all cleaned up and waiting on primer/paint

The old crusty r160 next to the slightly newer, slightly less crusty R180. It'll be getting cleaned up and painted too

Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-11-2017, 05:45 PM.
                                Instagram @markrogerson
                                1971 Datsun 510
                                1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Working...
                                X