Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 Datsun 510 Build

Hey Everyone,

My names Mark, I'm 21 from Atlantic Canada and thought I’d finally get around to posting a build thread for my 510 that I picked up 2 and a half ago. I first noticed the car on an local online classifieds site around September and it caught my eye right away. Made the 400km trip to take a look and was greeted with a bone stock and very solid car owned by a couple in their late 60s who had recently upgraded to a newer car. I changed the fluids and drove the car back home and it never had a single hiccup the entire trip back, not bad for a car that old and which sat for as long as it did!

A Lot of this is posted from another forum

A pic from the drive home, still bone stock right down to the auto transmission.

Got the car home and drove it around for awhile while I decided what I wanted to do with it, at first it was an SR20DET swap, then decided to try an old school L20b but couldn't find any local, so decided at last to build up the L16 and do the car in a 70s theme. (which lasted for awhile but more on that later)

One of my first purchases was a set of slot mags and a 280zx 5 speed I found local for amazing prices, then a more performance oriented head and other odds and ends

Ended up putting the slots on in November right as the snow hit and I put the car into the garage for the winter

And then started tearing into the motor

If I knew what the future held I wouldn't have bothered doing anything with the L16 but since I had no idea I went about boring the block .30 over, installing L24 flat top pistons and rebuilding my A87 head with big valves and a huge Isky cam (530 lift, 306 duration)

At that time more and more parts were coming in

And this which I paid more than I’d like to admit, a NOS 8 track player with box speakers. One of my favorite things I’ve picked up

By that time spring was here so I pushed the car out of the garage to pressure wash the engine bay in prep for the engine

Was almost done at this point but ran into a problem figuring out my correct lash pad size so the car sat while I was away for work and driving my other summer car.

Came home one weekend and after trying to do some bodywork on my hood which was pretty rough decided to get creative with it

This brings us to around August when a good friend of mine who loved my 510 found one himself with a ton of extra parts he was not going to use since he was dropping an SR20DET in. I ended up grabbing 2 L20b engines (one complete with dual SU's) a set of dual Weber 40s, and a couple other odds and ends from him.

Instantly threw the Webers on my L16 and tried to start it

And the car wouldn't start. Kept acting like there was no spark even though there 100% was. Turned out the webers were jetted way to big so took them off for the stock manifold and carb since I wanted to drive the car before winter. Upon doing this car still wouldn't start but was much closer, ended up being a valve lash problem after all the time I spent trying to figure out the right lash pads I still didn't have it right and the valves weren't fully closing. Swapped out my rebuilt head for one of the extras off the L20b's I bought and the car started right up! Took it for a quick drive up the street and shortly after got hit with snow. Sat in the garage for half the winter before I changed my mind on what route I wanted to go with it and went about tearing the suspension apart to lower it.

Before any suspension mods

I didn't want to spend the crazy amount coilovers cost so I went about it in a cheaper more hands on way.

Cut the spring perches off my strut tubes and had them shortened and rethreaded to fit first gen MR2 inserts

(before being shortened)

Bought some Techno Toy Tuning camber plates and weld on coilover sleeves for the front, and went with a set of F-Body Camaro shocks (2"shorter) in the rear paired with cut Dodge D50 front springs to get a good spring rate and height in the rear

While this was all happening I decided to start rebuilding one of my L20b motors into a 2.1 Long Rod using Z20e rods, Z22e pistons while boring the block 2mm, and the built up head I had previously taken off my L16

Finally got the car out of the garage and into the sun! It's currently at the shop getting an exhaust made and it's inspection, hopefully will be cruising around with it soon!

My buddy was selling some really nice wheels and tires that didn't fit on his stock fendered 510 (13x7 +0) so we tried them on mine, turns out my fenders are pulled a little more than I though because they just tuck inside with no rubbing at all. Even on the 510 strut tubes up front.

A cool pic of the 13km long bridge that connects the island to the mainland

Recently got the long rod motor finished up and in the car. It's got an L20b block from a Datsun truck thats bored 2mm to fit larger pistons from another motor fitted to longer rods from yet again a different motor all topped off with a jdm closed chamber head, a real frankenmotor.

Plans for this winter are to throw some lower profile tires on it and build some rear coilovers to get the car lower!

Also picked this up last week, a 1974 Datsun 620

Plans are to lower it substantially and throw some wide jdm wheels on it

Last edited by CrunkGoat; 07-11-2017, 06:37 PM.
    Instagram @markrogerson
    1971 Datsun 510
    1991 Nissan 240sx

Love me some Datsun goodness, looking good so far!

Also, the toll on the bridge is f'ckn ridculous, took a trip up that way about a year ago, didn't realize how much it was until I tried to get off the island.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaypea View Post
      Love me some Datsun goodness, looking good so far!

Also, the toll on the bridge is f'ckn ridculous, took a trip up that way about a year ago, didn't realize how much it was until I tried to get off the island.
      Thanks! And thats how they get ya it's free to get on but then you're trapped haha.Bridge is up to $45 and the boat is $70 so I don't take too many trips off lol
      Instagram @markrogerson
      1971 Datsun 510
      1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Very cool! Love the 510's and this one is a gem!
        Instagram @Petrol360

88 RX7 FC 5.0
        77 Yamaha XS400

Comment

Originally posted by CrunkGoat View Post
          Thanks! And thats how they get ya it's free to get on but then you're trapped haha.Bridge is up to $45 and the boat is $70 so I don't take too many trips off lol
          $45 bridge toll what the fuck?

That's insane.
          2009 Volkswagen Rabbit 2.5L "Snowbunny"
          1987 Volvo 244DL M47 "Turd Ferguson"
          1974 Volkswagen SuperBeetle 1303 "Diego"

Comment

Originally posted by thebornotaku View Post
            $45 bridge toll what the fuck?

That's insane.
            I guess i'm just used to it now lol. It is a pretty insane bridge (13km long over open water) so it's kinda fitting.
            Instagram @markrogerson
            1971 Datsun 510
            1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

yes! yes! yes! Im in to see where this leads to

Comment

Man this Datsun content is to good, looking forward to more updates!
                sigpic

Comment

Another Ratsun crosover nice to see you here man

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Not much progress on the build since I'm away from home for work till at least the start of December but am deep in the planning stages of another motor build and what direction I want to take the truck. It's 100% getting dropped at least 3" in the rear probably a little more in the front with some wide negative offset wheels but the certainty ends there lol.

Currently thinking of running a carbed turbo motor built out of one of the spare engines I have lying around but to build one properly that wouldn't grenade the first time it seen some nice boost (including the Ignition boxes, fuel pumps etc) would cost in the $5k range.... The price of a SR with some goodies running in the truck, or a KA-T... these are the things that keep me up at night lol
                    Instagram @markrogerson
                    1971 Datsun 510
                    1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Beautiful car, I've always had a soft spot for Datsuns.

Comment

6 lug search game is always fun.
                        Cool cars.
                        I have a 520 that has been a super fun project.
                        IG: ossiep

Comment

Ahh man. I would LOVE to own a 510. Definitely not easy to find them where I'm at Some day... Awesome cars, though. Look forward to seeing more!

Facebook: http://facebook.com/fwspmissiles
                          Instagram:
                          @fwsp_missiles | @lizzybernice

Comment

Originally posted by MsDriftMissile View Post
                            Ahh man. I would LOVE to own a 510. Definitely not easy to find them where I'm at Some day... Awesome cars, though. Look forward to seeing more!
                            Closest ones to you are probably in Bakersfield, you'll probably have to hit socal or the bay to find one

Comment

Well a small update, looking into getting a l20b header for the car since I'm currently running a l16 one. L16 is the stock 1.6 litre motor but with me running the taller l20b 2 litre block the header doesn't fit my existing exhaust. Add that the garage who built my exhaust didn't build it right and it leaked at the flange from the get go I'll just be building a front section to match up to the header.

Also had these come in for my 620

They need a good cleaning and sand/buff but should look pretty awesome when I'm done.

Also noticed I'm apparently too popular for photobucket...... Guess I'll be moving some of my stuff over to Imgur now lol
                              Instagram @markrogerson
                              1971 Datsun 510
                              1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Working...
                              X