No announcement yet.

1971 Datsun 510 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got the DE down to a bare block. Crank looks good thankfully, main caps have a little wear so going to have to see what the machine shop says about that.

Going to crack open the VE soon once I get the garage cleaned up abit haha
    Instagram @markrogerson
    1971 Datsun 510
    1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

those body lines thooo

Comment

Not a ton of progress since i've been sick the past week. The 2.1 is totally unhooked just need to take out the driveshaft and trans crossmember then can pull everything. Once that's done i'm taking the car to get the drivers floor touched up, it's not rotten but there's a couple pinholes and want the extra strength since a custom built 6 or 8 point cage will follow to tie the car together. Also got a great deal on some forged 11:1 CP pistons and Eagle Rods for the SR, 50% off sales are the best.
        Instagram @markrogerson
        1971 Datsun 510
        1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Who had a 50% off sale?

Comment

Originally posted by '70dim View Post
            Who had a 50% off sale?
            Real Street Performance in Florida a few days before the hurricane hit. They haven't shipped them yet obviously with everything going on down there. Hopefully i'll get them in the end and not have to file a claim through paypal to get my money back.
            Instagram @markrogerson
            1971 Datsun 510
            1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Pistons and rods finally showed up!

Have to stop being lazy and actually tear apart the VE now.
              Instagram @markrogerson
              1971 Datsun 510
              1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

"Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block... and replace the piston rings you fried."

Looking good, enjoying the progress on this

Comment

Got the head off the VE finally, been preoccupied building some other engines too.

Have to get this thing to the machine shop now for the new pistons.

Tiny little garage has 4 different engines torn apart in it now lol

Instagram @markrogerson
                  1971 Datsun 510
                  1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

I'd love to buy one of these

Comment

Started cleaning up the engine bay in prep for the SR, stripping everything down and eventually painting it. Guess there will be one good looking part of the car haha

Had to coat everything in oven cleaner to try and get the grime off, 46 years of oil and dirt sure don't want to come off.

Going to rinse off the cleaner tonight and finally pull what's left of the engine. Hopefully strip the last few things from the bay and start some sanding too
                      Instagram @markrogerson
                      1971 Datsun 510
                      1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

always been a fan of the 510, really cool to see you building a Frankenstein motor for it

Comment

Well progress has been slow lately because of work / other projects and because i kept telling myself there must be a better way to bore my block besides buying a $700 torque plate i'd use once. Eventually made a post on a 240sx forum discussing the necessity of using one for my application and had someone offer to lend me one for the price of shipping, can't turn that down! Ordered some small parts from Mazworx today for the VE conversion, oil drain plug, oil pump drive shim, and a modified pickup, nothing big but its progress i guess. Hopefully getting the torque plate soon then i'll be dropping the engine off for a cleaning, boring and to get it measured for bearings. Still looking into exactly how tight i want to go for this engine since it'll be seeing some pretty crazy revs.
                          Instagram @markrogerson
                          1971 Datsun 510
                          1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Finally got the engine dropped off at the shop, should be all finished up in the new year. Getting bored, hot tanked, and decked. Once that's done I can go about measuring for bearings and start throwing it back together. Still on the fence about doing some headwork on the VE head, that'll get expensive fast. No real progress with the engine bay, been kind of lazy lately haha
                            Instagram @markrogerson
                            1971 Datsun 510
                            1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Nice looking 510, love the SSR MkIIs.
                              - Chris L
                              83 Mustang - M81 widebody

Comment

Picked up the engine from the shop! Went with a small .5mm overbore since the engine only had 60,000km. Cleaned up fairly well, they didn't mention how much they took off when the decked the engine/front cover but it looks like a fair amount, piston to valve clearance is going to be interesting with these 11:1 pistons and big cam i'm looking at, might have to fly cut the pistons but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Next up is to measure for crank/rod bearings, probably going with some ACL Race's with Calico coatings

Freshly machined engines look so good

Last edited by CrunkGoat; 01-04-2018, 09:56 AM.
                                Instagram @markrogerson
                                1971 Datsun 510
                                1991 Nissan 240sx

Comment

Working...
                                X