# of bolt holes on lips and barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # of bolt holes on lips and barrels

I picked up a set of BBS LM wheels that I need to rebuild to get the correct offset.
    These wheels have 20 holes and are 2 piece.

Most lips and barrels are 40 holes, what will happen if I use these when converting to 3 piece, since parts are more easily available?

Will it still be structurally sound? Would extra holes weaken the lip?
    The faces will be front mounted, so the extra holes wouldn't actually be seen.

I know many local SoCal companies could easily build me a set of 20 hole lips/barrels, but that would mean custom work and weeks of waiting, whereas 40 holes may be in stock or even available on the used market.

Standard 40 hole parts won't work. The bore that the face goes in is the wrong size. BBS doesn't sell replacement barrels, so your only options are used parts or custom cut lips/barrels to convert to 3 piece.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
      Standard 40 hole parts won't work. The bore that the face goes in is the wrong size. BBS doesn't sell replacement barrels, so your only options are used parts or custom cut lips/barrels to convert to 3 piece.
      Bummer. Thanks for the insight.

Anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts?
      Surely I'm not the first person to convert LMs to 3 piece.

Comment

Kyle is right, you will need custom center bore parts. You are not the first, but still one of the few.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Talk to VR wheels about converting them.
          Visit Bagriders.com for the best deals on Airride suspension.

Stbk123 - Instagram.

ViolentClique

Comment

I have done it.
            Don't cheap out... buy the parts and do it right.
            Real name is James

Comment

I've done it as well, only thing I will add is that if your dead set on a 3 piece conversion you should also bore the bolt holes out to accommodate M8 hardware, I can tell you from experience the standard M7 bolts just won't cut it. M8 hardware can be torqued down a little tighter than M7 which is crutial when only using 20 bolts.
              There's also I guy on EBay that sell custom bore 2 piece shells perfect for rebuilding LM's.

Comment

Working...
              X