They told me E30s were played out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Byron View Post
    Awesome car, and good job doing things the correct way.

Thanks man, coming from someone who knows what is behind a simple build like mine, i't a lot.

Originally posted by alantw-15 View Post
    Man! what an amazing build thread! narrated and illustrated excellently..
    Your attention to detail on this car is top notch, and I have no doubt the end result will be awesome.

I echo your opening verses about e30s being so intoxicating to drive, they really are one of the all time great cars.

It is annoying to hear about the retarded new rules in your country, fuck governments!
    You would think there are more important things to sort out in the world by some government office faggot, like famine and refugees, instead of 'lets make a whole massive system that makes normal people messing with 25 year old cars have the exact same engine number if they ever want or have to change the engine on they're own property'.
    On the other hand it has led you to building this awesome engine so you can still 'rebel against the machine'

I am suprised though that you did not paint under the car and inside the arches after all the fabbing was done before you started assembly..

Looking forward to following this build to the finish
    Government sucks right? Those are actually old rules from some years back, nobody wants to change them. And I can see why, there is a lot of auto theft going on here, and if they overthrow that rule, it wil lbe like GTA paradise up in our country.
    Anyway, to your question: there is a very good reason I didn't paint the underside of the car or the wheel wells. Someone had applied some time ago a layer of thick waxy-like thing everywhere, even in the inside of the car. It has preserved sheet metal extremely well, so I decided not to remove it, just scrubbed it down where it was pitted and replaced it with white polyurethane, which is visible on some of my photos.Some areas with edges wre affected, but where straight sheet metal exists, there was no issue at all. So using the old german style - don't ruin a working thing.
    Cheers!
    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

Merry Christmas, Stance|Works!

And as it is Christmas, and miracles DO happen, one actually happened to me as well.
      I few days back I got a call from a freind of mine (an e30 friend), that our exhaust headers are ready and I can collect mine in a few days, when he is back from holiday. Happy, jolly day!

Now, you may have noticed I wrote OUR headers. That's because we decided to use the same design and make two pairs at the same time. Since most of my car still consists of a pile-o-parts waiting to be fused together by magic, we had to use his 325i as a mockup for my headers as well. The only difference between both pairs is the inner diameter. I had previously visited the guy, who welded the headers together and let him take measurements of the exhaust ports on my head, so he can have a flange ready.
      With that out of the way, my frined had dropped off his pride and joy, so it can serve as a live jig. A sacrifice in the name of progress on my car, which I highly appreciete, thank you so much, Kosio!

Once mine were finished, they were taken off his car and then his set was created as well and remained on said car. The exhaust system was previously made by the same guy, all stainless stell and sounds awesome!

So, onto pictures! This is the photo my friend sent me to tell me the headers are reality.

I was at the office and nearly fled at the site of those.
      After some begging and various threats he then sent me pictures of his engine compartment with the installed headers:

Isn't that ponr!
      My boss made me go change my pants and clean off all the manjuice I produced after seeing those.

Then I had to wait two miserable days for him to go back from holiday - he picked up his car and my headers from the welder and blasted off to some ski resort. I was fed only 2 more pictures taken while figuring out the design:

As evident, a cracked head was provided to the welder, so he can play around freely with it. The initial task was create a copy of Racing dynamics notorious exhaust headers. The plan changed slightly due to some facts I don't like about Racing dynamics headers:

1) Not all runners are equal lenght, the difference is too big among them, i.e. runner #6 in the original design is way longer than #5 and #4.
      2) One must detach the 4-5-6 header in order to change a spark plug.

So after a discussion with the welder, we agreed upon changing the design and making it more efficient. The end result:

Sorry for the blurry pictures, I was fapping with the other hand.

If any of you guys is insterested, the guy who did them is a very famous exhaust maker, I cannot praise him and recommend him enough. He has done the exhaust (headers and straight pipe) on my firend's track Alfa Romeo 75 among all the other stuff. If anyone wants to check out his website, PM me and I'll send it over, I don't want to advertise public.

So when the car is back from paint and somewhat assembled with an engine and other unimportant stuff, it;s going over there for the rest of the exhaust .

Anyhow, there must be a pattern here, because every now and then when I update this thread I tell you guys about some other car in my life.
      This time is no different, *grandpa voice* let me tell you a story...

Remember the E21 I got from a buddy's brother to drive around and fix up during winter and how I was driving around the country in a desperate search of a "winter beater"? Well, the story for the E21 doesn't end well, because the guy backed out, when I called him and gave the numbers for the repair the engine needed. Fair enough, everyone decides for themselves. But that is not the point.

While I was searching for a winter beater, I drove to a village about 170 km away. I had made at least 5 phone calls with the owner of a dolphin grey e28 with an m20b27, which I wanted to buy, drive over winter and then use as a parts car for my e28. We made an arrangement me and my buddy would go over and buy the car on a certain day. We had taken days off work, the lot. So the owner knew there were two fools driving 170km to get the car. So we wake up early, hop onto my still secret other car I've been keeping a secret from you and take the trip to the remote village to buy an E28. Just as we arrived, literally before my eyes another guy bought it. I was so pissed I couldn't even curse!
      So we sat in my secretmobil and asked ourselves what do now? My buddy used his overhyped Windows phone and read through the local car listings, but there was nothing that cought our eyes. Now, I am not going to lie, I had done my research and knew about a car I thought worth seeing. I show it to my buddy and we say "ok, let's at least go take a peek".

I drive using my mental map of the area (not totally unfamiliar) and after some time we arrive at the location. You guessed it, it was an E30. Some pictures from the listing:

It was a bit over my price range ( read more than twice above it), didn't start because of some stupid immobilizer crap someone installed in Italy, exterior in very rough shape, small accident upfront, some hailstone damage, dented driver's door and damage on the driver's seat.
      But the chassis ... ohmygodohmygod!!! NO RUST. And I mean it... apart from some spots, no rust damage at all. I will share the pictures of all the rust I could find on the entire car, when it gets it's own build thread. And you know it will

So there I was, found the perfect preface E30 shell and I don't even have half of the asking price on me. Sadness. I spent about an hour looking around it, spent half an hour underneath it examining the common rust areas and not believing my eyes. I kind of wanted to find rust, so I can walk away. But there wasn't any. You can imagine how my heart felt when I was walking away without even starting a negotiation about the price.
      Kind of like this guy:

Somehow I managed to keep a straight face and drive away. Then I got the E21 and had a toy for a while. But the dolphin was still there, remained listed, popping up everytime I browsed the classifieds, mocking me ... "buy me...buy me...buy me".

Ofcourse, one day I caved in. Called the guy and started with a lowball offer. he just hung up the phone. With a tear in my eye hit redial, swallowed my pride and started a reasonable negotiation. Finally the guy settles at something I can afford and also lets me know they managed to get rid of the italian contraption and the car starts and runs just fine. Needless to say, there we were again in my secretmobil, blasting on the highway, heading to my latest E30. There it was, sitting as we left it a month ago. Popped a battery in and she fires right up! Drove it around a bit, made sure everything works OK and went back to pay the seller. Loaded her onto a truck and hauled her back home. Got it registered on the same day, passed MOT too

Weekend came in two days, so the necessary maintenance stuff was acquired:

I have to say, that's my first M10 motor and it's a really easy one to work on. Slow in a car, maybe it was made for a gocart, who knows. But I don't mind it, since there is no radio in the car from factory I intend to keep it that way - it is REALLY quiet in the cabin, the M10 is almost unnoticable!

Here are some photos I took yesterday, sorry I am not much of a photographer:

So that's pretty much where we are today. I am so happy about this E30 and have so much more to say/tell about it, but that will be in another thread, when it gets it's own.

In terms of engine for the white E30, me and another E30 friend are debating on how the pistons should be modified in order to keep compression ratio high and avoid detonations in the chamber. When we get it right, the thread will be updated soon. Until then, feast your eyes on some gaskets and bearings I bought for the m20b30:

Man, I suck at taking pictures...

Thanks for reading!
      Last edited by gnmzl; 07-23-2018, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Really coming along well!
        https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

To say that you are an BMW addict would be an understatement.

My only problem is that you have so many cars yet not one is "finished" lol Either way, nice to read your stories and that last E30 is something I would be willing to buy. That is the only BMW I would ever own. Keep the updates coming!

Comment

a truly enjoyable thread. i wish u well with the projects.

Comment

Subscribed!

Comment

Hello stanceworks,
                Haven't updated this in quite a while, work on this project has been going really really slow. Every step of the engine building process is a big struggle, a lot of effort (read money) has gone into it so far.

The engine for this car has become a separate project, which was kind of expected to be honest.
                First, I found out that the m54b30 pistons are not my best option to start work on. One of the main drawbacks is that if we would mill the top of them, there won't be enough meat left from top to the first compression ring - 2mm is too thin. Not being happy with that, further options were explored.
                Me and an E30 friend, who is mostly into turbo cars, debated on the topic and decided we would use m54b25 pistons since they have K|H of 29,7 versus 30,2 for m54b30 pistons AND they have more distance to the first compression ring.
                A quick adjustment to the calculation table I initially created for my engine showed that we need to take off just a bit to lower the compression to 11,5:1.

Here is our first attempt:

How it sits at TDC;

That small bump at the edge was removed, due to fear of premature detonation, which is almost as bad as premature ejaculation.

Final product:

Also, they turned out to be very light:

We then decided we should first test the design out and assembled a spare bottom end my buddy had laying around. TDC:

Decided to give it a go and torqued down a 325i he also had on a shelf from a previous project:

Next step was to rotate the engine and disassemble again. We left a piece of the latest technology NASA had to offer, which was supposed to measure the clearance between valves and pistons. Results were very promising:

Assemble again, this time put everything else on the engine. Pic is "almost done" state:

Time to fire it up! Same e30 buddy has a dolphin grey facelift sedan e30, which by coincidence was missing a motor. So naturally, we threw it in, wired a MS 2 unit to it and fired it up. It ran good and pulled strong, so we were very happy with the result. Keeping in mind I was going to use a ported head and a much more aggressive cam, estimations were for even better achievement with my engine.

To our greatest regret, for unknown reasons SAND was present in the oil sump, which caused the oil pump on that engine to slowly crap out and what's worse, distribute sand to all the lubricated surfaces.

Causing internal damage to the pistons, cylinder walls, rod bearings, crankshaft bearings, crankshaft itself, head camshaft lobes and camshaft... needless to say, the engine had to go out (already replaced with another stock m20b25 ). Unfortunate as this mishap was, it gave is the chance to check out how the combustion worked with those pistons:

Not perfect, but good enough for me and most importantly - expected.

That sums it up about the engine we built as a prototype of our idea/concept. Too bad it didn't last long, but the main point is it died not because of a fault in the parts combination and compatibility, but because of an error we obviously made along the way when assembling it. Our theory is sand from the blaster's/powdercoater's remained in the intake and made it's way through the cylinders into the sump and then up to the head....

Which meant I can go ahead and start assembling mine, but really really carefully and not use any sandblasted parts.
                Easy enough right?

NO

I was really sad to find out the bearings for the driveshaft for the oil pump are not only worn out, but fell apart, when I removed the driveshaft. So I ordered a set from an official BMW dealer. The set of 2 bearings arrived and looked as if it was already used. Another one was ordered. I kept the old one just to make sure they don't ship the same crap. But as weird as it is, the new second order of bearings came in the same condition. I don't have a picture of it, but you get the idea, not something you would put in your fresh, clean and DAMN expensive engine! Anyway, mine being by any means reusable, I had to take them out, using an odd combination of tools and a clutch throwout bearing:

While thinking about what I should do with those two bearings, it was a good time to paint the block. Here's me, masking it with great attention:

Done, used an old water pump and a cracked front cover:

Commencing paint, ignore the penis my good friends drew on the masking tape:

Finished, paint still wet:

To be fair, it dried off relatively quickly, considering the weather was still cold:

And that how the block sits currently, patiently awaiting for my decision on the bearings for the oil pump driveshaft.

On a side note I continued acquiring important stuff to complete this car. Some stuff kept arriving in the mail, first a set of silicone hoses from IE arrived:

Very happy with the quality by the way, also the price is more than good. Would recommend, this is the second set we get, the other one is blue and applied on the turbo e30 of my buddy.

Powdercoated some stuff (checked for sand in the tube and cleaned it thoroughly anyway):

As far as engine management systems go, I am not really a guru. But I know what I want - sequential spark control, sequential fuel nozzle control, at least one knock sensor, MAP, MAF delete, wide band oxygen sensor and electrical fan control. First thing that pops into mind is MegaSquirt 3 - offers all of those and is somewhat affordable, if you do what I did.

The MS 3 is actually just an add-on to MS2, a socket needs to be changed on the MS 2 circuit plate thingy. Buying the MS3 as a whole can cost up to 1k US dollars, which if we have to be honest is a high price compared to MS2. So, a brilliant plan was hatched and accomplished:

Step 1: Create your own circuit design for the MS2.
                Step 2: Produce a circuit plate on your balcony using your own design (warning: acids used may cause burns)
                Step 3: Have a friend, who lives in Miami
                Step 4: Order just the MS3 add-on and a wideband oxygen sensor and have them delivered to friend in Miami
                Step 5: Go on vacation with said friend in Brazil
                Step 6: Acquire MS3 and WB O2 sensor from friend

Now that seems simple enough right?
                But wait! That vacation was planned for March, which is cool, but there are a few facts that I feel obliged to share.

Fact number one: Should you have not noticed: I have a huge beard and generally look like a hillbilly. Which I probably am.
                fact number two: While on vacation in Brazil, the terrible bombings in Brussels on 22nd of March happened.
                Fact number three: I was travelling with hand luggage only.

When you combine those facts, how easy do you think my trip back home was and keep in mind I was carrying stuff in my handheld bag that looks like this:

Anyway, I somehow managed back home and assembled this after a month or so:

Happy with the result, still waiting on the final casing I am going to use, those are just heat exchanging units. One side is for exits only, other side is for entries only. I'll try to keep it simple and tidy, but that is yet to be done.

Oh, here's a shot of Rio de Janeiro I took from a helicopter:

Aaaand I will finish this update with a shot of a very special piece, custom made by a guy in Germanyfatherland. I specifically wanted it looking stock, no red pointers and such, but he still put in the ///M logo on, which I will remove.

Until next time.

Comment

Dear Stance|Works.

My updates have been horribly slow, due to the fact I am always waiting for something, for someone and it really hurts, when you just want to get your car assembled and drive the $h!t out of it. So, due to those things that set me back on my long journey to the E30 of my dreams, my plans had to change.
                  I wanted to have the engine in the car before I send it over to the painter, so that the exhaust can be done before paint. Delay on parts and custom parts however made me realize the car is just sitting there without ANY progress. Which is sad.

Therefore, I made the big step - send it over to the painter's anyway and try not to screw it up when the time for engine and exhaust comes. So heeeere goooes!

Back in August, we made an arrangement to start the process of prepping and painting. September came and the workshop was ready to take me in. So we hooked the rolling shell of a car and dragged it to sunlight, loaded her on the trailer. My friend is happier than I am:

We unloaded her and the painter received final instructions, desires and pleas.
                  Several days in and this is what I find when passed by for inspection:

So, that was good progress for just a week or so. Then, after another week I am facing this marvelous sight:

That got me really pumped and excited, seeing progress being made on the car.
                  Each stop-by was rewarded with a pleasant surprise.
                  Here are some pics of painted fender and boot lid. For some reason there aren't any of the painted doors, hood was still being prepped:

Paintbooth was booked up until mid-October, so we decided the car will be left prepped in a storage right next to it until there is a time window to use the booth.
                  Time passed and since I was busy with other stuff I completely spaced out.
                  Until one late evening, when I received this on my phone:

Unfortunately, getting the girl back to my garage proved to be quite the drama trip.... so I don't have any pictures of the bodywork. Those I only snapped really quick before shutting the door and leaving her there for the clear coat to get hard enough to not get scratch just by looking at it.

I promise I'll get better pictures. Someday.
                  Thank god I have that other e30, so I had something to play with during this one year of owning it. Here's the result, thanks to Byron for giving me some info on some strut thingies.

Far far away from done, and the story is not complete, but as promised, this car will get a thread of it's own.

Oh, and I'll just leave that here:

Comment

Hello to anyone still interested in this.
                    Haven't posted in more than a year, due to slow progress and the shame coming with it. Just wanted to share the big step towards completion with you.

As expected, building the engine for this car turned out to be a project on it's own, which by the way took about 6 months of my free time working solely on it and it still is missing some things like refurbished alternator and a suitable throttle (want something bigger than stock m20b25). Working hard at a new job and losing motivation from time to time didn't help either. What helped was support from GF, family and friends!

Friends and I moved into a bigger shop about a year ago, where all of us can share the same tools and stuff. That is where I moved the car to almost a year ago and started final assembly. Unfortunately all my pictures from that time got lost with my old phone, which disintegrated.
                    Long story short: I got a trailer and moved the car into the big workshop, where work began immediately after the weather got warm enough. First on the list was the headliner (such a HUGE PITA), which unfortunately got ripped on a few spots around the sunroof. Looking back, I regret I didn't have a new liner made but ... such is life I guess, one learns from their mistakes. Next were the windscreen and rear window, pop-out windows and driver's and passenger's side windows. Carpet, seats, dash ... we all know the drill, I'll save you the story about those. Lots of setbacks ofcourse, missing parts and bits, waiting on new ones to be delivered ... that slowed me down quite a bit. Eventually the car was semi assembled and next logical step was start motor assembly. Back in the thread I posted what piston design was to be used. It stayed the same and one glorious day I was able to start the assembly.
                    Or so I thought

First problem were the bearings for the oil pickup drive line shaft thingy. I found out the hard way that they come scratched from the dealer for a reason. And I also found out why they were pulled from the catalog so noone could order them
                    1. They are delivered with rough surfaces because once they are pressed into the block, they had to be machined with great precision so that they are not cone and are exactly the required diameter for the shaft to have enough oil but also not to wobble. Great
                    2. They were pulled from the catalog due to many claims that these were not installed correctly and BMW found out there isn't a single soul on the world that could do it right. Even greater.

What I did was gather as many used m20 blocks I could find and pull all of their bearings. Yes, you read correct. I pulled the bearings out of .. don't know maybe 6 engines, until I had a set that was a) in perfect shape b) the correct diameter. Point b) lead to me installing all 3 sets of perfect bearings I managed to source and measuring which one fits best. In the end a mix and match was achieved and the shaft was spinning just right.

Onto assembly. All was good, I would say m20 engines are no foreign territory to me, so I knew what I was doing. Up to the point where I want to install the crank scraper. It was a copy of IE's crank scraper for the 2.8 stroker. Finding out the mounting holes don't line up AT ALL lead to 4 attempts by me in getting it right. Finally the holes line up and I can measure how much I need to cut out for the rods to clear. Here is where the pictures start!!!!

After it was cropped, naturally needed to be installed. If any of you have ever tried to seal an m20 pan with the OEM gasket, you know why silicone is used. With the brand new original oil pump

Then had to throw the headers on and some other stuff. Sorry for crappy pic, light was sketchy

At some point in time, a flywheel, clutch assembly and gearbox were attached to the eingine as well.

That ofcourse leads to ... dropping the engine IN!
                    First things first, in order to move the car around, the stock manual steering rack was installed. At some point of the assembly process, a z3 1.9 rack was acquired, figured it would be easier to swap that while there is no engine in. So glad I took that route.
                    Old manual rack with 4.2 turns lock to lock out

Z3 1.9 rack with 2.7 turns lock to lock on its way in.

Some new tie rods were in order

Getting ready to drop the engine in

Shortly after, not much difficulties along the way, it sits in the bay!

Already sitting on the bushings, everything torqued down to specs.

So basically that's where it's at right now.
                    Test fitted the propshaft - it fits nicely. So next on the list is the shifting mechanism so that I can install the propshaft, heat shields and it's off for exhaust!

Thanks for reading!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by gnmzl; 02-22-2018, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Man, I am glad this thread is still going! Great work!
                      Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
                        Man, I am glad this thread is still going! Great work!
                        Thanks, appreciate the support!

I felt guilty for not updating and making the build look like one of those, that never get finished. I promise I'll try to keep updates them coming.

Forgot to share some other stuff.
                        Before I started on the engine install, and before removing the fenders and hood (or wings and bonnet for the people, who invented English) the wheels needed to be test fitted. Didn't have time to mess around with the coils, so it's a bit lifted, but the pictures give a general idea of what it would look like.

Front passenger side

View from above, steering is not straight, but it is evident the car will need a bit of camber

Then rear passenger side

Daaaamn, that looks good enough to me

And finally, the side shot

I have a set of GTA wheels with black centers too, but they don't do it for me for some reason.

The plan was to run the white ones with the original black center hubs for the Transam GTA. Which would put a nice touch to the whole picture. You get it white car with black trim and chrome bumpers and other chrome stufff, white wheels with polished lips and black hubs.
                        When I thought it over, black wheels with polished lips and chrome hubs (from e28) would also look not too bad.
                        Any thoughts on that?

Comment

i love this and the detail that has gone into it. Rome was never built in a day so don't worry about the time it has taken to get to where it is today! proper garage builds take time.

personally, i am not a fan of black wheels
                          Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

I've read all this thread and I've been late to a dinner with friends because I could not go without knowing how it ended LOL
                            Instant favourite for me, awesome tech content and man you are good at telling stories!

As for wheels, I like the white but I think black will look better with tyres and a chrome center cap than it does now

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Originally posted by Benwalsh91 View Post
                              i love this and the detail that has gone into it. Rome was never built in a day so don't worry about the time it has taken to get to where it is today! proper garage builds take time.

personally, i am not a fan of black wheels
                              Thanks man, loving your coupe too, and the effort you put into it. Read the thread everytime from start to update, when I see one.

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                              I've read all this thread and I've been late to a dinner with friends because I could not go without knowing how it ended LOL
                              Instant favourite for me, awesome tech content and man you are good at telling stories!

As for wheels, I like the white but I think black will look better with tyres and a chrome center cap than it does now
                              Thanks man, glad someone enjoys it, even if late for dinner haha

As of the wheels ... I also don't like black wheels at all, BUT I share the opinion those will look much better refurbished, with chrome center caps and with rubber mounted though.
                              There are two spare TransAm GTA wheels that I have and those happen to be gold... as soon as I mocked them up, I took them down without even taking a picture. It was not good looking at all. Maybe because there is nothing to match colorwise on the car

I guess we'll have to find out, once the car reaches the point where it needs good looking wheels. First things first, I have to get that sucker firing up, running and inspected. Hopefully that could be achieved within a month or two. The list with remaining stuff that needs done is still painfully long, some highlights:

- sort engine bay wiring out
                              - produce engine wiring harness
                              - install various sensors
                              - make custom bore throttle body
                              - install all air/fuel delivery bits
                              - trunk area needs sorting out, literally untouched since reassembly started so need to sort out the wiring loom, central locking bits, taillights, battery tray etc.
                              - interior bits like speakers and some missing trim that need to be fitted.

I'm anxious to get it running and inspected, so most of my spare time will go into this car.
                              Hope I'll make it for the start of the season

Comment

thank you man comments like that make me want to keep going with it. i had lost a little bit of love for it recently but i will push through!!

have you thought about trying the wheels with a silver centre?
                                Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

Working...
                                X