This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Lift Struts Knocking?

So my front Performance struts feel harsh when I'm going through bumps. It feels like the shock has massive recoil and you hear knocking when I'm clearing lips or dips.

The minimum pressure I can have clearing the car is 63psi in the front and it's not TOO bad. The knocking happens when the dips are bad. The ride gets harsher as you increase pressure (duh.)

If I go lower to 40psi, the ride is nicer but the wheel rubs.

Any rationale what might cause this sensation? What other information can I provide to determine a possible cause?

18x8.5 ET45
    225/40/18

Meet CPTNSLW
    :/:Fly with me on Instagram!:/:Travel Blog Tickle Your Fancy? Click This!:/:

Is it possible you're bottoming out?

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
      Is it possible you're bottoming out?
      Hmm isn't bottoming out for older struts? These are new and barely have 2k kms on them. It's threaded all the way up... Maybe I should lower it down?

Meet CPTNSLW

Comment

Bottoming out is for any strut if you hit a big enough hole with low enough of a spring rate and damping factor.

I'd want to rule that out before I went any further.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
          Bottoming out is for any strut if you hit a big enough hole with low enough of a spring rate and damping factor.

I'd want to rule that out before I went any further.
          Okay, I'll have to read around to see how I can eliminate that. Any quick tips in the meantime?

EDIT: I put weight on the front left and right and leaned down with my body. It's pretty rigid/stable and not dancing about like someone in a waterbed.
          Last edited by flipstah; 06-26-2015, 04:44 PM.

Meet CPTNSLW

Comment

IF that's the issue, you could try increasing the damping factor on the struts to "fake" some additional spring rate, but it will come at the cost of additional harshness and the possibility of more sluggish response from the suspension during fast transitions.

To work toward a real solution here, we need to know if the struts are bottoming out, and if so, which component is running out of travel.

Comment

Originally posted by flipstah View Post
              Hmm isn't bottoming out for older struts? These are new and barely have 2k kms on them. It's threaded all the way up... Maybe I should lower it down?
              Sounds like this is your problem. If you changed the length of the strut at all you could be either bottoming out or topping out. We ship the struts to give you the absolute lowest drop possible, so you really should not need to change the length of the strut at all.

Lower than you......http://www.airliftperformance.com/

Comment

you really should not need to change the length of the strut at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy@AirLift View Post
                  Sounds like this is your problem. If you changed the length of the strut at all you could be either bottoming out or topping out. We ship the struts to give you the absolute lowest drop possible, so you really should not need to change the length of the strut at all.
                  Originally posted by wonigsmi View Post
                  you really should not need to change the length of the strut at all.
                  So I talked to my friend who installed it with me and he said that it wasn't adjusted, so I was mistaken. I can lower the PSI but it rubs, so I definitely need my fenders pulled ASAP.

Meet CPTNSLW

Comment

mine just started knocking from the front too.. only when i go over bumps slow though.

Comment

Mine also knock when running high PSI running over bumps. Any idea of what to check or tighten?

Comment

Working...
                      X