No announcement yet.

Restomod 944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is awesome! Also, I'm a little confused as to whether it is a 924 or a 944... I'm going to assume by the engine it is a 924 wearing 944 arches? or a 944 that blew the engine and now has a 924 engine as it was cheaper and more available? Either way, this thread is full of win.
    I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

Your time line seems completely plausible to me.

So, how hard is it going to be to convert it back to fuel injection? I'm assuming that intake manifold is a lost cause and you will need a new one?

Comment

I feel like he's the type to make the current motor go away.

I like em dropped.

Comment

"handsome stunt"
          IG: ossiep

Comment

GETTING MY SHIT TOGETHER

No, I did not gather a bunch of shit you literal psycho. In my Infinite knowledge I thought all “these” cars were 944s, kind of like all the 911 Childs. Then Dutch came to rescue me from my stupidity, checked Wikipedia and learned something new. My apologies.

Opened the paper thin papers and it is in fact a 924, which makes sense because the interior and engine were 924.

I removed a piece of paint from the rear quarter and I can see a rusted rivet. Plus I have 6 pages of customs import taxes for fenders, wheels, bumpers, etc. All imported back in 86 as previous owner said so. He must have read the papers too.

NO DRIVE, NO DRAMA

So, car lost drive with engine working fine.

My doctorate in Mechanics told me that I should begin with the transmission, maybe fluid was low. I spent the next hours searching on the internet how to check it and what tools are needed. Is a well-known fact that 944s are ***** by Porsche fanatics that can’t even afford a Porsche but you know what is even more *****? You guessed it, automatic 944s. There is an amazing lack of information about them.

After many hours I finally found a thread on rennlist that had some useful info.
            - The transmission is in the rear of the car.
            Thank God for the internet.

I prepare myself:

- Borrow jack stands
            - Ask for my lent jack
            - 3 liters of dexron III
            - 120pz craftsman toolkit
            - Commitment to lay my back on a floor equivalent to 50 grain sandpaper

Before actually starting I thought giving the car a try, maybe transmission got too hot and fluid was not providing enough pressure. I connect the battery and crank it.

1 time, 2 times, 3 times. No start. Battery runs empty.

By this time I had gone inside and outside of the car on the driver’s side which was 5mm away from the wall, yes, I’m boneless. Yet my patience was warming.

I get the truck inside, cables out, some starter fluid on the carb and crank it.

Starts, as soon as starter fluid gets consumed it stalls. This is where you exhale, close your eyes and turn your head down while still holding the key on the ignition.

Then you just laugh and go out, pour the whole can of starter fluid and do it again, just in case car was not getting enough fuel ( mind you it had an electric fuel pump that was priming ).

After sitting in it while the Expedition filled the garage with gas fumes I actually had a revelation, maybe the aftermarket pressure regulator was closed.

This is the Aeromontibe unit.

I pulled it off to check for a part number and search the manual online but I was not that lucky.
            Maybe next time I will look for the grill manual, might had some information.

Nerveless I open it completely and try to start the car again, and again, and again.

Removed the line from the carb and prepared to shower the engine with fresh degreaser from the fuel tank.

NOTHING.

Stupid me, car must have gone out of gas. Filled it.

NOTHING.

hehe, dumbass, now you will have to drop a full tank of gas…

At this point I just was anxious to take something apart, yet not so anxious to take a look at the fuel pump.

I thought that removing the hood and placing it on the roof would take some of it away but it didn’t. It was like oreos, once you shit black you never go back.

TAKING IT APART

I am a very VERY meticulous piece of human, but when it comes to disintegrate a car that you know you are not putting back together in remotely the same way it was its just a precious moment. You just search for Taylor Swift – Back Together on youtube, put it on replay and enjoy every moment when you remove a bolt and think –“ I don’t know you anymore” while you forget where you removed it from and throw it to a pile of another bunch of them.

I won’t lie, there are some bolts that I will remember because they were such a PITA to remove, but I will get over it.

Remember when I said on the first test drive that the throttle cable got thrown off?

That is the throttle cable bracket. Now, I know it looks OEM but I have to give credit to Dr. Frank, adjustable crap is better than just crap.

When back together is replaying for the 5th time and you are completely in the Zone you pull out the cutting pliers and go to town.

There is an enormous satisfaction on cutting bulk harnesses, I still feel the rush of cutting each cable thinking I was one of the witches of Hercules, taking a life away each time, no point in rushing cutting them all at once, take your time and enjoy every one of them. Also my jaw hurt like hell because I have this “thing”, I chew while cutting something, stupid thing I can’t control.

To be continued…

Bronzit: :*

Comment

Originally posted by LCG View Post
              BACK TO THE PAST
              Really wanted to use it, commute in it like an actual car you know. Arriving late to work because the engine was failing or dying of heat stroke from the electric windows not working, all the cool stuff people brag about their cars, I wanted it all. Full experience.

Mental fapping as we call it here.

it revved so clean and quick that New Camaro Owner actually made fun of me for being so happy without trying to show it, like you when you went to see Cars with your girlfriend and you tried your best not to cry when McQueen pushes The King and you still dropped a tear.

My life as a traffic maker was about to begin at last.

kind of learning to walk again therapy as I saw it. You have to very patient to help people. Which I am not.

In the picture above you can see where Dr. Frankenstein chopped the stock intake manifold and doing some voodoo magic that left some tumors on the aluminum welded it back. Imagine you break your arm and the doctor casts it the wrong way, it would be very funny, but not very practical. I can’t even imagine the awkwardness of hand shaking anymore. Don’t even think about masturbating, you could end up in the hospital again, with the same doctor, if he did that to your arm, just think what he could do with your genitals. Ewww
              This is the VERY BEST thread i ever read
              Thank you so much
              Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

This is great. Might have laughed a bit harder than i should have at, "It was like oreos, once you shit black you never go back"

Comment

^ Truth!

I have only subscribed to one thread on this website. This is it. Can not wait to see/read where this thread/car goes.

Comment

I do not read. I do not read because I **** it and I do not enjoy it. I read your thread and apart from the magic of your beautiful disaster, I found myself magically reading again. Somewhere, my white-haired, rickety elementary teacher cries tears of joy in her grave.

And you use chapters. Absolute legend.

Comment

hahaha Mirotekniks comment summed that up well, But yeah old SSR wheels are Nice! imadeskidmarks.com has SSR wheels all the time and most are dope. good luck on the build bro

Comment

can not wait for more updates
                        @dudestuffsucks

Comment

SPLINTER’S LAIR

When the oreo effect starts, you must get in the John Wick character. A man of focus, commitment, sheer will ( yes I moist my panties every time I see that scene, doesn’t matter it was ruined by the editors using 2 takes and missing actor position, such noobs ).

You can be as committed and reload as much as JW, if you see Splinter’s Caca you stop. This shit is important, literally. You can die from breathing or touching places where he played potty time.

I am amazed that I actually had to cut cables, with the amount of rat shit the car had, it was a miracle it had most of the harness untouched, maybe the pizza only diet was actually true.

At least he was a decent ratperson and covered his mess with leaves and dirt. Or maybe he was an evil bitch and covered it so I would get my innocent hand there and get some horrible disease like HPS or even worse, diarrhea.

I took out the smallest molested parts of the harness and other radioactive stuff out using my wife’s kitchen mitts, she is still looking for them up to this day. I don’t have the heart to tell her.

Hid the mitts on the bottom of a new trash bag and fired up the vacuum cleaner I borrowed from my brother a day before for this specific task.

Cleaned as much as possible using all the implements of the cleaner, very nice machine.

Also removed all the secret stash of shit hiding under the leaves on the giant cowl of the car, and then threw the vacuum on top of the mitts. It was a big bag.

INTERIOR DILEMMA

I opened the passenger door, sat on the passenger side and gave it a good thought.

One thing is changing the driveline and “modifying” the suspension…
                          Interior is something I have to be very careful. Current interior is dated and not nice enough for the million plans I have, but it matches the car because it was made for it, which made sense. Making a whole new interior is way out of my league.

After thinking about it for 2 minutes with flashes of the face of the hommie that builds the interiors at west coast customs I took a decision.

I will keep the interior original and out of the car into a rabbit Mk1.

Will I eventually regret it?
                          Most likely.

Will I even reach the point of needing an interior?
                          High chance of 50% probability.

Will that point be a correct step in the timeline of the build?
                          Ehhh. Who knows… maybe, maybe not.

Will that mishap of trying to build the interior in the incorrect time will hamper the build and make me rage and stop the build forever.
                          Most likely.

On that High and with that commitment I started by trying to remove the passenger seat for good.

2 bolts in the back and 2 bolts in the front, I have removed many seats before, it is listed in my CV as something I can do in less than 10 minutes.

The seat was in the middle of the rails, which meant I have no access to the front or the rear bolts. I turn the lever and gently push my feet to make the seat go backwards, that didn’t work. I move forward in crashing plane position and make that degrading movement where you pull your anus in while trying to fuck the front of the seat.

NOTHING.

I stay still for a moment and get lost thinking about a thousand things that have nothing to do with the car.

After returning from my mental trip I decide to go tool shopping. I never buy any tools because I am a dumbass that wants to have everything to be the same brand/color/year. So I always have the plan to buy a giant million piece tool kit with matching brand tool chest and everything.

So this was the day I finally become a man. I bought different brand extensions/screwdrivers/mallets and to top it all and confirm my newly found manhood I stored them in the same craftsman box. Take that Chuck Norris.

After soaking the rails with a WD40 competition product because I’m a hipster I try the plane crash degrading movement again and it starts working.

The carpet under the seat was developing vitiligo, if you don’t know what that is you can ask Michael Jackson fans.

There were some relays under the seat as picture above shows. If we add them to the amount I found inside the glove box, we can conclude that the car must have been owned by a Bosch Director that played with relays instead of eggs on Easter.

Moved to the other side of the car to remove the driver seat.

I won’t even try to explain it right now. The seat is still attached to car, maybe forever.

To be continued.

Comment

Did you know that the 924 engine can also be found in the AMC Gremlin, Concord, and Spirit? This will be one the more interesting builds.

Comment

haha fuck love this thread. Your way of writing/typing/scribing/dictating for a scribe/telepathically typing it is quite humorous

have you got a picture of the engine to go in?

1963 850 - 1408cc, 45DCOE, 'S' 7.5" brakes, 6-point cage, blasted, Velo GPT-2's, rear beam

Comment

Just putting this out there since you want a bit of an interior upgrade... 944 series 2 interior should fit... might need a bit of fettling to fit, but should mostly work

That has comparisson of the 2 if you haven't seen the interiors (although you probably have)

Comment

Working...
                                X