Restomod 944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restomod 944

Welcome fellow reader. This is my build, a build that you may don’t understand, you may **** it, you even might barf on it, yet you will read it, because you know inside you, we are all sons of the same God, so you are my brothers/sisters, hence family, OHANA means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.

PROLOGUE.

This car:

It was a 2010 SS Camaro. I did the heads and cam thing with a bunch of bolt ons to produce a respectable 500whp, yet at 5150ft of altitude and the car weight on the 4000lb order it was a turd. It was fast, but not quick enough, add the fact that 22 inch wheels with rubber band tires will just laugh at you when you ask them for any traction. It was also the first car I dropped beyond useless levels.

It scrapped on memorable places, made me discover the angle approach on driveways and the 3” dual exhaust was as round as the letter D.

It also made me understand why multi piece wheel companies owners are so damn rich.

I bent exactly 3215,235,933 outer lips and 1,234 inner lips. Number on picture isn’t factually correct because the computer was still running heavy analysis calculating the final number previously posted.

I liked that car, it wasn’t practical at all, barely used it, and I had a plan for it.

This plan:

I sold all my NA stuff and bought all new internals for the engine and sent a suitcase full of money for a turbo kit to a bitch in KY. He delivered one of the most sensational fuck you I have ever had and never sent anything back, not even my dignity.

After crying for months hugging my teddy bear in the corner of my room I went to see some friends.
    Sobbing, I told them my story. One of them, which has been asking to buy the car since 2012 made me an engine less offer.

It was so good I didn’t sleep for days, I really wanted to keep the car, it had the shape and the wheelbase needed for my project, yet it was a lot of money I could dump on a much cheaper car.

I told him to wait for a couple of weeks to see IF I could find another car that I would like to replace it with. Those weeks turned into months, Mexico isn’t the land of performance antique and nothing caught my eye.

One day I was whoring the idea to a friend on Facebook and he suggested a 944. I searched on what I will call the local craigslist and there were a bunch of 924s, ranging from 1k to one ridiculous 15k.

But the catch was that none of them were legally imported, they all had US plates, NO GO for me, I am a pussy and I would not like to spend 50k on a 1k car just to be impounded by IRS for their joy.

Came to know the fact that NO German/Japanese used car can be imported. TLC stuff, thanks Government!

Yet one day, keeping the search I find something. In the pictures I can see the ugly blue and yellow colors of our state plates, I call and ask if it is legal, he says yes. I ask HOW, he says come check it out.

So I go, it was… different. And fucking expensive for a 924! He wanted 8k for it. Money at that point was irrelevant, if it was legal it was worth it just for the paperwork. The one and only TRULY legal 944 in all Mexico ( this is a fact I created to justify the amount that I paid for it ).

So I check it out. It starts, has locked brakes and has that old Porsche smell with a hint of water leakage over the years, rims look 2 or 3 piece. I ask again about the import papers. He says it was imported by an Ex-President. So a non-importable car was imported because he wanted it. Thanks Government x2!

Papers have some inconsistencies that he was not able to fix, so I made a ridiculous lowball ( to his astronomical price ) accepting the paperwork as it is. After some days of back and forth we made a deal.

I called my friend and told him he was the new owner of the most special 2010 Camaro ever in the whole of the worldz.

THE PICKUP

As you will see, the fact that it had presidential history didn’t carry over on glamour days for the rest of its life.

This is the overall look of the space it shared with 3 tons of trash and an Aerostar. Who knows how many years? Kind of forgot to ask that, because well it looked like shit, no point in wasting saliva, like right now, wasting keystrokes explaining how I didn’t ask a question.

Notice the hood winking, no it isn’t because its happy rats are not eating it anymore, it’s because the battery was taller than it should. I forgot to take a picture of the class act of fabrication to stop the shortage. It involved a chrome rubber mat. OH YEAAAAAAAA

I inspected the wheels again, see if they could be worth something but I could not see any branding, all the center caps were stored by the previous owner, he told me he had many! More than 4 at least. More on that later.

I was checking a crack on the passenger fender and while I consider myself a very curious and observant person, it was the first time I noticed the car had molded rear quarters/rockers/fenders. Previous owner told me it was modified somewhere in 86 by a wealthier man. I don’t know if 924s were offered with those wide fenders and the turbo fascia but searching for that info is ridiculous as Porsche still name their cars with whatever pair of numbers come up in a bingo game after a 9.

It was missing a rim (stored), because bald tires and no money for a new one. Oh the high life of owning an overpriced vw.

Original mats? Actually they are high quality. Old and muddy, but well made.

You can see the pimp lifestyle the car had. A Lot of BESPOKE stuff that I will mention on the course of the thread. For now, you can see the BESPOKE light switch. Porsche had an option where for 2 million extra they would pull it and leave it just hanging there, magnificent stuff.

He pulled the stored rim and cachiiiiingggg!

I actually had to search on the vast interwebs what the fuck I was looking at. I actually like some SSR models but Hey!, I’m not into Japanese vintage wheels… I actually came to know that SSR means Speed Star Rotisseries! You never know where you will learn your next life lesson. So SSR vintage wheels and 6 center caps! This could return some money! Yeaaaaaaaaah! More on that later x2.

AT HOME

I sent the car to my friend new Camaro owner’s shop, he runs a body shop with some mechanic facilities also.

I am in the process of building a house, which has taken 2 years more than it should and like 10 years of neurons from my brain.

I wanted to use the car and start the project on the new place, so I had my friend check the brakes and do a general service to the car so it would stay operational till I finish the house.

Some weeks later Is my birthday and I tell him to bring it over to my house. Yes I asked nicely and said please too.

He calls my cellphone and this is happens:

New Camaro owner: I’m a block away, bring your truck.
    New 944 owner: Yeah sure, I will open the garage, put it near the wall.
    New Camaro owner: I’m not kidding, need help.
    New 944 owner: by the wall bitch!

I hang and open the garage expecting his fat face out of the garage with the shame of his joke not working out.

NOTHING.

Hum… I cross the street and none the less I see a red dot on the middle of the street. Revving to the sky yet not moving.

So it was true. Car had lost drive with engine working fine.

History short we manage to pull/push it to the garage by the wall… bitch.

And here it is... In all its nonmoving glory.

To be Continued...
    Last edited by LCG; 06-15-2015, 09:57 AM.

I'm so in for this. This is absolutely sweet.

Comment

Very very excited for this!

Comment

This sounds like it's going to be really exciting
        IG: @OsakaFlocka

Comment

I'm here for the storytelling. Cool car is a bonus.
          Steve - now in San Diego!

Shoot My Car - Automotive Photography in SoCal

Comment

THE INSPECTION

I never truly inspected the car because I just needed a shell, now at my place I had the opportunity to really take a look, seat in it and breathe the luxury of my first car with wheel bolts instead of nuts, I feel so special now.

The first thing that made me understand the sheer value of being part of the VAG family were the keys.

Nothing shouts more family bond than a very fake and very poorly made Porsche key chain with VW bug keys on it. PROPER.

Interior is actually in “good” condition for a car that was neglected for more than 10 years (presumed fact).

This is the first used car that I buy and I always see people doing CSI on their interiors when they start restoring their cars, so being the jealous bitch that I am I quickly started my own show.

The first thing I encountered was this velociraptor hand creeping out of the armrest, just imagine what that curious dinosaur was thinking when he got his hand stuck on the door.

Next was the ashtray, the previous owner must have been a crack addict because it had a bulb in it. ahew, aheew (Goofy laughs)

Then my eyes turned to the driver’s foot well and I saw something. At first I thought my eyes were deceiving me, could it be?

Yes it was! The tail of the velociraptor was there, maybe there is a whole skeleton under the dash.

Overwhelmed with joy I returned to the center console.

Nothing out of the ordinary, well-made stuff that wasn't working any more.

Then, it was time. I asked my wife to put some inspirational music on and prepare for excitement.

The glove box. ( my wife was asleep so she didn’t do anything for me )

I made the proper TURURUTUTURUTUAAAA sound and opened it.

The rearview mirror and some velociraptor teeth jumped right out, like trying to escape from that horrible dark space.

I dug old papers and more and more dinosaur teeth, there were so many that I even started thinking it may not be a velociraptor but a white shark.

At the bottom of it, just more and more parts.

When you see so many tiny parts on the glove box I guess you can understand the level of achievement the previous owner had keeping the car alive and not caring at the same time.

Overview of the interior:

To the trunk.

The rear hatch was glued to the car, there was no way I could open it. Unless of course you know how to open it, then it just well… opened.

Struts are shot, it took major force to fully open the first time but it keeps itself so I won’t need to waste a wish on that.

It had what was left of some pioneer speakers, now they look more like fencing helmets glued to the carpet.

Two rusty scissors because two is more than one.

The car speaks, it tells everything that have failed and points what to buy to keep it alive. Little it knows.

Previous owners never put any nivea on the floor so it was all wrinkled, shows the possibility of a rust free shell.

To finish this chapter I will leave this photo of the engine bay.

Yes... Yes it is.

To be more continued...

Last edited by LCG; 06-16-2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

in for this cuz great type skills master/ intrigued for engine possibilities and cleaned up interior

Comment

mo peeeeez (more please)

Subscribed for the lolz and storyness of it all

progress IS a slow process

Comment

You're my favourite.

Comment

BACK TO THE PAST

Let me go back a chapter of the story and tell you about the mechanical condition of the car as bought.

Back when I picked it up, it went up onto a tow truck and was delivered to New Camaro Owners shop as I previously said so.

Took a look at the menu and ordered a brake/motor check combo to make it move under its own power. They resurfaced rotors/drums, changed front wheel bearings and topped the oil level.

Didn’t bought a 944 because of its looks, honestly I never cared of them. However, when I came to the mechanical yard of the shop, as I was walking towards it I giggled and thought -What a lovely piece of crap, and its mine. Then I understood.

Really wanted to use it, commute in it like an actual car you know. Arriving late to work because the engine was failing or dying of heat stroke from the electric windows not working, all the cool stuff people brag about their cars, I wanted it all. Full experience.

I can’t recall how much time the car spent there, maybe a month or so. Obviously I came to visit twice or more a week just to look at it and think all the stuff I could do. Mental fapping as we call it here.

One day as I arrive I see the car up front, they are testing the ignition to make it go around the block.

A lot of stuff happened in the next hour but finally we changed the distributor cap and the engine “cleaned” itself, it revved so clean and quick that New Camaro Owner actually made fun of me for being so happy without trying to show it, like you when you went to see Cars with your girlfriend and you tried your best not to cry when McQueen pushes The King and you still dropped a tear.

I for sure took the honor of its first block trip. The thing barely moved on full pedal, and everyone was shocked it actually moved while I made precise back and forth movements to help the car gather momentum. Not even half of the round trip around the block, throttle cable got thrown off and engine stalled.

This was it, I could feel it inside me. It was…. Adventure Time. My life as a traffic maker was about to begin at last.

That was that day. Some days were a replica of that one with little advance, kind of learning to walk again therapy as I saw it. You have to very patient to help people. Which I am not.

I hope you enjoyed that bunch of text, now, back to the Future with more text.

The 924 had K-JET fuel injection which you can learn more about here http://www.k-jet.org/
                    I didn’t even clicked the link because the car had none of it.

Back In last chapter when I posted an engine bay picture and said “Yes, Yes it is” I assumed you all were experts on 944s, but last night an angel came by in a dream and told me that no one cared and no one understood what “yes it is was what what”

So here is another picture.

Honestly if the previous owner didn’t give me a box full of parts and told me “this is the fuel injection system” I would not have known either.

In the picture above you can see where Dr. Frankenstein chopped the stock intake manifold and doing some voodoo magic that left some tumors on the aluminum welded it back. Imagine you break your arm and the doctor casts it the wrong way, it would be very funny, but not very practical. I can’t even imagine the awkwardness of hand shaking anymore. Don’t even think about masturbating, you could end up in the hospital again, with the same doctor, if he did that to your arm, just think what he could do with your genitals. Ewww…

To be continued
                    Last edited by LCG; 06-16-2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

yeah this thread is awesome, deff will be subscribing
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Wait, so it's a down draft car now instead of a side draft? I'm lost.

Comment

What in the... somebody converted the stock fuel injection manifold to fit a, what looks like, a 2-barrel carb?????

Comment

TRUST ME I’M A MECHANIC

Yes white out/lamsv, I guess that angel was wrong, there are experts reading.

This is what I think happened.

Day 1. Engine is working fine
                            Day 2. Engine is not working anymore
                            Day 6. Car gets towed to a Porsche dealership
                            Day 14. Porsche dealership calls Porsche Owner –“we don’t know how to fix it”
                            Day 35. Car gets towed out of dealership to a well-known mechanic shop.
                            Day 50. Porsche Owner gets a quote
                            Day 73. Shop owner calls Porsche Owner to pick up his car or it will be put outside.
                            Day 105. Shop Owner puts the car outside.
                            Day 345. Porsche Owner sues Shop owner because the stereo got stolen.
                            Day 550. Porsche Owner gets car towed to another well-known shop.
                            Day 563. Porsche Owner gets a new quote
                            Day 577. Porsche Owner lists the car for sale.
                            Day 945. Porsche Owner sells the car.
                            Day 947. New Porsche Owner tows the car to his friend house who is a mechanic.
                            Day 1634. New Porsche Owner dies.
                            Day 2396. Mechanic lists the car for sale.
                            Day 3096. Mechanic gets convinced the car won’t sell and tries to repair it.
                            Day 4000. Mechanic figures out the car is fuel injected.
                            Day 4501. Mechanic gets so frustrated that he calls Dr. Frankestein.
                            Day 4600. Dr. F. tells the Mechanic he knows what he is doing.
                            Day 4603. Dr. F. chops the intake and weld it on the side.
                            Day 4604. Dr. F. plugs the injector holes and adds an electric high pressure pump.
                            Day 4605. Dr. F. is very effective, he just carbed the engine back to life.
                            Day 4606. Dr. F. creates a monster on his free time and it kills him.
                            Day 4607. Mechanic takes the car back, buys a Porsche keychain and gets some keys done as Dr. F. lost the originals.
                            Day 5000. Mechanic enjoys all the benefits of driving a Porsche and his friends think he is rich.
                            Day 5001. Mechanic gets invited to a high profile party where he gets drunk and enters a poker game where he loses all his money, his house, and the Porsche.
                            Day 7500. Poker Winner Porsche Owner doesn’t want crap car and lists it for sale.
                            Day 7550. Handsome stunt wants to buy it.
                            Day 7570. Handsome stunt offers money.
                            Day 7590. Poker Winner Porsche Owner and Handsome stunt make a deal.

And here we are.

Comment

i like this thread already
                              Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Working...
                              X