This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Steering Wheel

I have a wooden steering wheel with chrome spokes for my 2002. It has some light scratches on the surface, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how I can polish it to make it have a mirror finish. Thanks.
    Wisdom is the treasure of life

Has anyone tried to polish the spokes on their 73/76 steering wheel? Mine is a nasty and pitted combo of rust and what appears to be grey coating. I was about to attack with diminishing sandpaper grits and semichrome. Which grits would be suitable? Any hints or tricks other than replace the wheel? Maybe just paint it?

Comment

The steering wheel is a tricky area to keep clean. Moisture, unseen dirt and the oils from your hands tends to build up in these areas. Thats what driving gloves should be used for. Posting images here of your project would help others see what you're referring to.
      Originally posted by jackraider View Post
      I have a wooden steering wheel with chrome spokes for my 2002. It has some light scratches on the surface, and I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how I can polish it to make it have a mirror finish. Thanks.
      Jack.. although I'm not a wood worker, and if the the steering wheel can be taken apart.. it would be best to see if this is possible. Removing the wood from the metal, refinish the wood with light sanding, then a stain, then use a thick polyurethane 2 pair coating. (which bars use to coat their counters) I've used the polyurethane coating on several of my walking sticks and it does need time to cure. As for the metal/steel, I'd have that sent out to have it re-chrome if that's the appearance your looking for.

Originally posted by Angus21 View Post
      Has anyone tried to polish the spokes on their 73/76 steering wheel? Mine is a nasty and pitted combo of rust and what appears to be grey coating. I was about to attack with diminishing sandpaper grits and semichrome. Which grits would be suitable? Any hints or tricks other than replace the wheel? Maybe just paint it?
      Hum when you refer to your metal areas as semi-chrome.. makes me think you might have polished stainless steel or an aluminum substitute. If nothing needs to be refinished, locate stainless steel cleaner/polish. Otherwise, research several of the forum post relevant to polishing your wheels with a ceramic coating.
      Explore the steering wheel, see if alcohol wipes can be use to clean nooks and if you can extract the steering wheel for a tear down.. all the better. As for just painting, depends on what the metal is or the surface is. One might need a adhesion promoter and a light scuffing.. not really a sanding.

Comment

Update:

Just wanted to update this as to post an image of a walking stick I did using a 2 part polyurethane resin, which can be found at any hobby/craft retailer:

Note: I removed the bark, allowed the wood to cure for one month, then stained the wood with coffee. Allowing this to cure/soak in, I then used the 2 part polyurethane resin and coated the walking stick. Why am I posting this?.. well I heard a couple ask about wood finishes on the parts of their vehicles.. this would be a more durable finish and something I'm willing to do for anyone with small wood parts they which to have refinished.

If one was to ask me what sand paper etc.. I can't say cause I purchased a foam sanding block with 4 different grands of sanding grit on all 4 sides. But I can say that I finished up with 1000 grit and a scuffing pad and made sure the surface was clean thoroughly before staining and coating.

Comment

it would be best to see if this is possible. Removing the wood from the metal, refinish the wood with light sanding, then a stain, then use a thick polyurethane 2 pair coatin

Comment

Working...
          X