X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to get tires stretched? Where?

Mods Please Del!

Dont worry we still mount them.
    Last edited by Dust; 03-13-2012, 08:44 AM.

Good of you to offer that for the US guys.

Just a side note:

I don't really see, why most US shops are so weird about stretching... in Germany just about every shop will stretch your tires, no questions asked... Only problems are if you want some really extreme combinations like 195 on a 10 or something.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

^ i have no clue i guess its a liability issue my manager doesn't like it that i do it, but i told him think about how many tires Ive stretched and how many have actually came off/blew off. 0 unless they where in like subzero temps.

Comment

is it hard to install stretched tires or is it like installing normal tires? what are the steps and how is it different

Comment

I havent had to stretch my tires yet but the few places I have asked have been either a Corporate backed chain or a franchise like shop.

I learned not to ask anymore. They say its a insurance thing, legalities, and it voids any warranties as well.

Wish I didnt live on the totally opposite side of the nation!

Comment

Originally posted by fabfred View Post
            is it hard to install stretched tires or is it like installing normal tires? what are the steps and how is it different
            Exact same way as mounting regular tires, you just need a cheetah and an S*** load of lube!
            If your having stance problems I feel bad for you son.

Comment

BTW GUYS! Tman is serisouly the man. My boy trevor who is my partner in chrime at america's tire company.

When we see you bringing us TE37's or some old school enkei's or diamond racing wheels and want a 195/40/16 on a 8 or 9 inch wide wheel, we start giggling like school girls with lube and cheetah in hand.

Fabfred only time ive ever had a problem was when i was mounting my 195/40/17 on a 9x5 wide wheel took me some lube and heavy air blasting.

Comment

if you are in the bay/ central cali i have a shop that will do it no questions asked, they laugh everytime i bring them tires, they just did some 215/40's on a 10 and it took tyem literally 5 min

Comment

Damn don't have a cheetah at work

Comment

I went to Discount Tire and talked to them about stretching tires. They didn't understand what I was talking about at first, but after a quick explanation, they said no problem. Their "cheetah" has X amount of pressure and can mount the same tires to a much wider wheel.

Discount/American tire is a great company with awesome customer service. Whether it's online or from a local store. I've recently dealt with both.

Comment

Mike S. Thanks for the support. Glad to hear other stores then just mine dont mind helping fellow stretchers wanting a legit tire/wheel setup.

Comment

we start giggling like school girls with lube and cheetah in hand
                        That lube is for the wheels right......

Well, when you look at it as a business no one will want that kind of liability. Sometimes customers just want to find excuses to blame someone else. Let's say they hit a huge pot hole and bend a wheel, then they'll try to blame the shop by saying that the tire came off the bead. One bad customer will ruin it for everyone else.

Comment

Lube is for who ever wants some

And true yes, but until that time comes i will stretch till i cant stretch no more.

Comment

Damn I'm in the Seattle area but Vancouver is a drive and a half! I'll keep you in mind tho i cant be payin up the ass just to get tires mounted... Thanks man!

Comment

It will be interesting to see what happens as tire stretching continues to grow. Will tire shops embrace it or enforce a set of rules to avoid liability? From what I've seen locally, there's only a few cars running stretched tires, so the shops have not yet been introduced to this "trend".

Comment

Working...
                              X