Thread: School Me

Default School Me

Hi guys. I'm getting pretty decent with offsets and whatnot, but now that I'm getting my stance all straightened out, I have a few questions.

How does poke work with coilovers? Is it possible to have poke and not rub (much, at least)?
    Is it a lot of camber that allows for poke? How does one attain a small amount of poke on a static suspension?

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Well poke is independent from suspension. Poke is an effect of wheel offset, whereas coilovers change the height.
    The only link between the two is camber.

You can have poke and not rub, but you need stiff suspension for that.

Well what I was getting at was the ease of running poke while on bags, but its relative difficulty when on a static setup.

Does a large amount of camber allow for poke while still having the tire tuck into the fender under compression?

So basically what you're saying is that the only way to have poke without a ton of rubbing on a static setup is to limit the wheel's movement?

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Quote Originally Posted by CSBolger View Post
    So basically what you're saying is that the only way to have poke without a ton of rubbing on a static setup is to limit the wheel's movement?
    Basically, yes.

Depending on the shape of the fender and the way the wheel moves when the suspension gets compressed, you might get away with camber too, but most likely you'll have to run a pretty stiff setup so there's not much room for the wheel to move at all. Pretty logical when you think about it - not much space between tire and fender -> not much room left to travel.

It makes perfect sense - I'm just being stubborn, I guess, haha. I really like poke, but I also drive my car very hard through the local canyons at least once a month. I want to keep some travel - more than I think would be necessary for running poke.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

dont forget to factor in tire stretch.
    cammed, slammed, & female driven

A school will be your salvation. It is for me I always had someone to write my thesis at paperell.com when I was in school. Maybe you will feel the same one day, I really hope so.

Thank you very much for this information! I will note it after my visit to https://humansshow.com/ and I will tell everybody about the event. Cause I am loving this play as many people in the USA. I hope that you too.