Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Groundhog Day ... Yep, another 911

Some of you may remember my last 911, a daily driver:

Full build:
    http://996ls1.blogspot.com/

Acquired, 2000 Porsche 911 with the same wheels as my last did (996.1 GT3 ), HIDs, terrible hifi system, sun/moon roof and heated/power seats. Luckily the car is missing some of the heavier options.

Last edited by white out; 07-17-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Groundhog Day ... Yep, another 911

Like I said above, I picked up the 911 and then jumped on a plane to travel for the holidays. This left me with a computer and some extra time. Of course it resulted in purchasing parts.

Standard parts: new light bulbs for the entire exterior, wiper blades and cabin filter.

This is what I was working with: the 911 was fairly quiet with the stock exhaust, 911's carry all the weight in the back and Porsche aftermarket exhausts are expensive. I started hunting and found myself a used cat & muffler delete. This should fix the subtle exhaust note, drop weight from the factory exhaust and associated heat shields, and was not expensive.

While the Porsche Sport Design wheels (aka GT3 wheels) were pretty sweet. I'm a big fan of 996 widebody wheels. This is a big no-no in the Porsche community because the wheel's offset pushes the edge beyond the body of the car. However, a set of coilovers with some dialing in fixes this issue and the tires will tuck under the fender. So I went ahead and picked up a set of turbo wheels with good PS2's.

Last edited by white out; 01-17-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Even though the turbo wheels would look like crap on the stock suspension. I decided to install them. Immediately after pulling a wheel off the car I realized something odd. . .

The car already has H&R coilovers, which were not disclosed to me. Oh yes!

Onto the wheels.

Before:

After:

I have done zero adjustments to the suspension and need to adjust the car down for proper fit. But here is how the car sits, not too shabby.

Last edited by white out; 01-18-2015 at 07:30 PM.

oh dick
    2009 Volkswagen Rabbit 2.5L "Snowbunny"
    1987 Volvo 244DL M47 "Turd Ferguson"
    1974 Volkswagen SuperBeetle 1303 "Diego"

I dug your vette. But im loving the porsche back in the daily duty seat. What are you plans for it? Just low/ wide?

Also how does the 640 drive? It looks like an absolute blast....that was probably a stupid question.

EDIT: Now im on youtube watching 640 exhaust videos and im in love.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey G View Post
    I dug your vette. But im loving the porsche back in the daily duty seat. What are you plans for it? Just low/ wide?

Also how does the 640 drive? It looks like an absolute blast....that was probably a stupid question.

EDIT: Now im on youtube watching 640 exhaust videos and im in love.
    Porsche plans are just subtle things; the above posts (which weren't up when you posted), along with misc updates to it. It's so much more comfortable than the Corvette and pulls a wheelie on my way into work.

LP drives totally different than the early Murci (which I've had prior). It's much more refined, significantly quicker, the carbon brakes take some getting used to, front scrapes more easily, otherwise it's the same car. I do need to get to converting it to 2WD.
    Here's my favorite video, I need to get to work on the Lambo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Uw1knt1C4

Awesome man. I've always wondered myself if, given the situation, I would buy a supercar or just build my dream car. Cool cars man, stay humble.

Changed the intro to keep this thing on track.

Forgot to mention that while this is the slowest car I've owned in the past 5 years, it's still a great place to be for a DD.

A better view of current rear fit:

Last edited by white out; 01-18-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Weird how the turbo wheels don't really poke that much
    In for more updates on this.

Simple c2?

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Simple C2.

It's lowered a bit, so the turbo wheels sit more flush than at stock height.

little update.

removed the clutch pedal helper spring, this makes clutch engagement MUCH easier. While the pedal is now 1000000000000x heavier, it is no longer vague and makes driving more enjoyable.

15mm H&R spacers with some longer wheel bolts on the front. Makes the car look much better since the rears sit flush with the top of the fender. Turn in is a even better now.

before:

after:

Looking clean. Did you out exhaust delete on already?

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

I have the exhaust, just haven't installed it. Trying to get as much done as possible to the Porsche now, but the other cars are begging for attention.

Tonight I installed the AUX input cable. While this doesn't look as clean as the install I did on the last car, with the iPhone5s plug at the bottom of the phone, it is more user friendly. Also, the plug tucks neatly into the crevice.

Today I ordered:
    hardened engine mounts
    hood struts
    wheel center caps
    smooth air intake hose

Installed the smooth air intake hose today. Based upon other owners' reviews that the car makes more power, better throttle response, a nice intake sound, etc. Did the quick install and . . . absolutely nothing. I cannot tell any difference in drivability or sound. But I guess it looks baller, even though it's dirty.

I took a picture. lol

Maybe because they have a cone filter?

Nope. Literally the same thing.

Wow, another great build

Lambo, Lotus, and a Porsche!!! Jesus, 3 of my all time favorites! (especially the SV)

yup. im going to be watching this. im pretty damn sure this will be good.

nothing major here, semi solid motor mounts and some new wheel center caps

no more of this

Rear needs to come down just a pinch to tuck the top of the rears a bit more.

well i'm pretty jelly right now.
    This is my signature

Center caps make a big difference

i'm pretty jelly right now.
    Looks cool

This should be good. I remember back in the Xceed days.... Subbed!

*alarm buzzing*

It's a whole new day and 296bhp really wasn't cutting it.

So I bought this.

Lotsa' omlets in this pic.

Yes folks, a GTfaux and it needs some work. So stay tuned.