Rust Bucket Miata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Bucket Miata

I need a cheap daily to use while my Jetta's motor is getting rebuilt, so I picked up this 1990 Miata today.

It's got rusty rear quarter panels and some rust on the rockers, but otherwise it's pretty solid for a 24 year old car. It's on racelands... but at least I can work with that to some extent. It was the PO's autocross toy that he built up and then mostly parted out. High mileage, but runs strong. It has a full OBX exhaust with stainless header, which is probably worth close to what I payed for the car...

The plan is to make the car a decent daily driver, but still have some fun. I have wanted a miata for quite a few years, and honestly, I wanted one in better condition. At the same time, I NEED something else to drive (I can't daily my M3 during the winter, and my '02 isn't even back from the welder...) so this miata can serve as "practice" and allow me to make mistakes and accumulate transferable parts. My dream is to do a Monster Miata conversion with a 5.0, but that is a ways down the road. I'll have my fun on a budget for now!

I've already ordered a few minor parts, and I'll order some larger things after work today. I plan on having it on the road within the week.

My to do list so far is:
    Registration and everything that involves
    Remove stripes from front bumper at least... (I like the stripes for the 1990s essence, but their in evenness bothers me...)
    Sun visor delete
    Remove baby teeth
    Replace "air guide"
    Fix center console latch
    Install cheap front lip
    ...I don't want to get too far ahead of myself on here at least...

I'm trying to decide if I want a front mesh grille, not so much for looks, but for protection.

Comment

I may have gone overboard ordering things... At least all the stuff for this car is relatively inexpensive... I guess I've gotten used to the price of "German Engineering"...

Comment

I love how this went from ''I ordered a few parts'' to ''I may have gone overboard'' in like a few hours. I love NA miatas so I'm clicking that subscribtion button
        Originally posted by aLaFleur

I've decided the best way to deal with rust is to just embrace it.

Comment

Haha, yeah, that escalated quickly...

I picked up the car for way under my budget. It seems like the PO had a number in mind and started subtracting the dollar amount for the parts he was selling, and he didn't take into account how much more people are willing to pay for a roll bar, corbeau seats, and wheels when they aren't attached to a rusty Miata...

Anyway, I'm going to the DMV today to get a temp plate, then hopefully VIN check and new snow tires on the stock daisys later this week. I'll need snow tires for the roads I drive for my commute, if not just for my own driveway. I'll be getting proper wheels and tires for the spring, or as soon as I don't need to daily it...

Comment

Got the temp plate, so I finally got to drive the car for a decent while. I put it through its paces, and I like it, which is good since i did buy it. Yes, I test drove it, but not long enough. It looks like the fuel gauge is busted... The power steering needs to be topped off. I definitely want to get a lower seat by the time the top comes down in the spring, the wind hits just the very top of my head, which is just annoying. It's going to take a while before I'm used to the exhaust, but I like it. The CD player is very touchy.. I probably will replace it sooner that i had originally planned. That's today's update, tomorrow I'm off to get emissions tested and get some tires. I might be able to make my first modification tomorrow if any of the parts come in.

Comment

Well, I'm waiting for some parts to arrive, but I took my sun visors off. I'll put the delete plates on when they come in, but it looks better already.

After and Before...

I also took a look at my baby teeth, and the bolts are rusted on pretty solidly. I'll get some pb blaster, but I feel like I'll still need to take the bumper off, which will make a bunch of other installs a lot easier. I'll wait until I have all the parts I'll need for that.

Comment

man, I want a rusty cheap miata to daily. sub'd for shiny parts or drifty pics.
                l ig:coltondk l youtube:coltondk I DD: Tundra I Projects:l 06 STI I 87 S10 l I 57 Chevy Belair I I 48' International KB-2 I 07R6r l
                sigpic

Comment

good stuff!

I love miatas.
                  FUEL INJECTED SUICIDE MACHINE

Comment

Passed emissions
                    New snow tires
                    Stubby antenna installed
                    Drivers side mirror fell off
                    Para cord steering wheel cover in progress, pics tomorrow
                    Moss Miata order delivered
                    Plates tomorrow
                    Drove it to work tonight, gas gauge started working again!

Comment

Originally posted by MrJereMoose View Post
                      Passed emissions
                      New snow tires
                      Stubby antenna installed
                      Drivers side mirror fell off
                      Para cord steering wheel cover in progress, pics tomorrow
                      Moss Miata order delivered
                      Plates tomorrow
                      Drove it to work tonight, gas gauge started working again!
                      A post containing great victories and grave losses (R.I.P. D/S mirror, you will be sorely missed)
                      '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
                      '85 GMC S15 Sierra long bed.
                      '01 BMW 740iL
                      Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

Originally posted by bennkishh View Post
                        A post containing great victories and grave losses (R.I.P. D/S mirror, you will be sorely missed)

Indeed

Comment

Comment

Comment

I was expecting more simple parts than this today, but here's some progress..

This weekend's goals are:
                              Remove Baby Teeth
                              Install Project G Front Plate
                              Replace Air Guide
                              Install Skid Plate #1
                              Install Front Grille
                              Install TSIs
                              Install Minimalist Door Pulls
                              Install Windshield Mount iPhone Holder (big job, I know...)

Hopefully all the bolts and fasteners that are supposed to be under the car are all still there... I'll see when I'm under it tomorrow with a wrench and parts. Man I wish I had a garage... although my basement has double doors....... :devil

Comment

Working...
                              X