No announcement yet.

Z32 project, "six month build"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was pretty sure Pentroof a division of Ab-Flug, but I may be wrong. It's cool that they still do their old parts, I come across them all the time second hand on Yahoo too. I'm familiar with that bar and it's not bad at all, but too angular for me. Impul did a front bar that looks like a cross between that and the stock Z32 S1 front, nice looking piece.

Comment

I never caught what engineering you are taking? Id figure mechanical. Im half done an industrial systems degree and i have to give you props for keeping this going while in school, i know the struggle! Also, How does one browse UP garage's inventory? I have a jdm evo 4 and am always looking for rare parts and such. I haven't had any luck on yahoo japan so far though. Anyways keep it up man, I am loving the car.

Comment

you can do it through their website directly, or you can use Crooober which is what I do because it allows me to save search bookmarks (much better than having to use a translator app to search in Japanese every time you want to have a look). I have a line up of searches that I middle-click whenever I'm bored, keeps me on the ball. same for yahoo and a few other places.

I just started mechanical. you're dead on, it's full on to say the least. I didn't think I'd have literally no time to work on the car, but it's the case. I made the choice to maintain part time work because without the cash flow only so much can happen on the car anyway, so I figure I'm better off scoring parts during semester (can order from lectures lol) then swinging spanners in the breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by anti.engineered View Post
          I was pretty sure Pentroof a division of Ab-Flug, but I may be wrong. It's cool that they still do their old parts, I come across them all the time second hand on Yahoo too. I'm familiar with that bar and it's not bad at all, but too angular for me. Impul did a front bar that looks like a cross between that and the stock Z32 S1 front, nice looking piece.
          Pentroof is an engine builder who takes projects for other companies and private parties.

IIRC the main engine building players back then were HKS, Top Secret, Trust, Tomei, Re Amemiya, Pentroof, Auto Garage TBK(mostly porsche's), Hosoki, JUN, and OS Giken. Oh yeah, and all RH9 shops not mentioned.

By looking into those shops, watching old Option videos as well as reading the magazines you can find out who some of the original Midnight Club members were.

Kitabayashi runs Pentroof and Uwabo runs Abflug. Not going to say if they were members of the club or not, but I'll let you decide.

Don't link anyone to the group though. Some of these people really don't want to have anything to do with the Midnight Club.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
          @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Damn that bumper-diffuser combo is so sexy
            Lucas
            Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
            Originally posted by LCG
            High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

schooled! I like it. Thanks for the information. I've seen a bunch of the old option videos and followed a few of the cars too. The Jun Z32 is something I'd be really keen for more info on if you have it. The yellow Pentroof Z32 now resides here in Brisbane, though I haven't heard anything about it in a few years. Not sure where I got that they're a part of Ab-Flug, my mistake. ^^ seems that their stuff is still being appreciated though! thanks loekaaz, just wait 'til I hack the diffuser up...

here's a shot of a car with a variant of my rear bar and a midnight decal

Comment

The JUN z32 was shipped back to Japan and reconditioned for street use(stripped the stickers off and repainted red). It showed up a few years back and was in driving condition last I heard of it. After it was reconditioned it was allowed to become a full fledged member of the club in under a year, which was almost unheard of. Check out some Yatabe circuit videos, some midnight club cars show up from time to time in those old videos.

Check this video out.

You can see it being tested at Yatabe, which was a popular proving ground for the Midnight Club guys.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

I have seen that pic, and a few others of it driving around on the street (in a Bonneville record holder!) It took forever to find a good photo of its bay, I had to search for ages. Weighing up doing a similar manifold.

Comment

That's the 2nd revision intake manifold, the first one was flat and could fit under an unmodded hood. In some pictures of it, after it came back to japan and was retrofitted it has the 1st version of the intake manifold and a non bulging vented hood. That car underwent some major changes between 90-91, the video I posted was the first run it made at bonneville, in 91 it had the 2nd revision intake manifold and a bunch of other mods, including that Blitz-Jun livery.

These cars were tuned on old school bosch dynos with an EGT gauge, MBC, and almost no fail safes. Their noses and the EGT were best indicators as to how rich or lean it's running. Not saying it's a bad way to tune a car, but I bet you a lot of engines were lost that way in trial and error.

Where did you find that picture, haven't seen that one before.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                    @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

• car looks great man, you've got some great design ethics for that thing. I have to say that when I lived over in AUS, I was not impressed with the quality of car culture as far as "real" builds go. All I saw was nothing but s15's, evo 3's, gtr's, supra's all ruined with knock off 20" chrome wheels and VL turbo's on steelies doing skids. So its nice to see something more in depth coming from an aussie. What part of Sydney are ya in? my nan and pop live in Blacktown. I lived in Wagga Wagga for 4 years before moving back to the states. One day I'll go back for a visit and hopefully bring back an SS ute or an old Monaro GTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyMpire View Post
                        All I saw was nothing but s15's, evo 3's, gtr's, supra's all ruined with knock off 20" chrome wheels and VL turbo's on steelies doing skids.
                        Because Sydney.

Comment

• Damn Rice, you really know your iconic imports. I wish I was able to get my hands on some of those old school parts they made like the single intake - but it doesn't look like they ever made more than one or two. I got the picture off of the big Z32 Facebook fan page. The admin who posted it just came across it at random with no additional info.

You're right about the cars here Andy. There's no way I can't come off as full of myself here, but there aren't many guys out there at all doing builds of this calibre. There are some that are great absolutely, but they're seriously seriously rare. Dipshits in thrashed out poser mobiles covers most of the rest.

Comment

• Back then the best parts were one off's, so making your own parts is still just as cool as buying old school mad tyte jdm parts.

I can make you a diagram of the intake mani if you want it. The main differences between the 1st and 2nd revision ones were(besides the size) were the 1st one had shorter runners for more top end power, but with a turbocharger, the runner length for the most part stops mattering when boost kicks in. The 2nd revision had longer runners for more low end torque off boost. It shouldn't be too hard for you to fab one up if you have a welder, time, and material. For a single maf, you may be able to run it off the stock ECU. I figure that the J30 can run dual MAF's with a bit of tweaking and it comes with a single, so why can't the DETT run off on one large one instead of two?

Here's some inspiration.
                            Talk about visual impact! This Abflug body-kitted. 1990-something Fairlady Z is quite the attention grabber. Despite the Liberty Walk-esque aero, mechanicall...

edit: the need for low end torque and longer runners was why they moved to the 2nd intake manifold type. The larger size was due to the long ass runners.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                            @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

• OP, this build is incredible.

Awesome attention to detail, great mix of parts, and OE-like finishing details make this whole thread a pleasure to read.

Also, your parts collection makes me bite my lower lip.

Keep it up!
                              BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                              Originally posted by Ollie
                              We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• thanks MMM, i'm really glad the ethic of the build is coming though. people get it!

rice, i've been looking into intake plenums quite extensively lately, most particularly thinking of knocking up a lehmann triple plenum setup but i'm really not quite sure yet. i'd love to use the new tb but there are big issues trying to run a single inlet under the hood while maintaining runner length and harsh turns getting into the lower plenum ports... might still end up with a twin plenum that wraps around the top of the motor then merges into one in the front of the bay where the water to air intercooler will be. i need to get me into some cfd. if you have detailed info on either of the jun plenums i'm absolutely all ears!

Comment

Working...
                                X