Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new on here calling all merc w114 / 5 owners ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new on here calling all merc w114 / 5 owners ....

Hi guys,
    joined for some help and advice, I own1972 merc w115, I wana lower it, can anyone advise as I believe the only way is to cut the springs or get some made? But myworry is going too low and nackering the shocks?? Also does anyone know if you can fit 15" steels off any other models as I think the 14 s look too small and im intending to band some for extra width, I believe the steels off w126 will bolt on but I would need the classic style hub caps, anyone know anything about any of this pls? My originalplan was 100+ spoke rims with hub adapters but I cant find any here in the uk, does anyone know of anywhere??
    Thanks guys and pics of your mercs would be great )
    Rob

Hi Rob,
    I'm over in Australia and have had a few of these, currently i have a 72 280ce, all of my cars have been lowered and yep all i did was cut the springs, i hunted high and low for someone who made lower springs for these bad boys but couldn't find any and just bit the bullet and pulled the springs one day to hack them, my fronts i took 2 coils off of and my rears i took 3 from memory, your hardest part is removing the spring as they require a special mercedes internal spring compressor, i don't have one of these and so my method is to jack the car right up and drop the lower control arms, this is a bit sketchy so if you are doing it this way make sure you are off to the side when dropping the arm down,i haven't had a spring jump out but you never know!

I'm still working on shocks, i have a set that i have cut the bottom mounting brackets off to play with some other shorter shocks as I'm looking at bagging my car in the coming months.

In terms of wheels i have a set of 16" steelies on mine, again you have to be careful with offsets as although the newer merc wheels are the right stud pattern and hub size, they started going up in the offset, my wheels are from an 04/05 c180, they are 16x6 et31 i think, I'm looking at re barrelling the rears to fill the guards a bit better but they fit nicely.

If you haven't already don't overlook keeping your 14s with stock hubcaps, and running some nice wide band white walls on them, can't beat the classic look!

start a build thread and show us what you'r doing with your merc!

Cheers,

Luke
    Mercedes abuse.

Comment

Thanks luke for your reply, just a couple of questions, when u did your springs are u still running standard shocks? Did they bottom out and leak? And also how low is it running in mm off the ground pls and what does it ride like?? Dont wanna go too low and hit it on the ground on speed bumps etc. Thanks for all the info, a great help, sounds like fun getting the springs out :s look forward to that!!!

Comment

Working...
      X