Taking Apart Perfectly Good Cars - Tristan's 240 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Apart Perfectly Good Cars - Tristan's 240 Build

I'm nearing the end on my 95 240sx build and figured it would be cool to post it on here and see what everyone thinks. Enjoy!

Being the son of a mechanic I've had my whole life to be familiarized with cars, from Hot Wheels to video games and finally real cars now. Over the past couple years I started to sway towards the import tuners and appreciate the things you can do with and to them. I've always preferred RWD cars and thought that drifting was one of the coolest things out there. When I turned 16 and got my license I started saving my money, from working part time at my dad's auto shop, for a car to make mine. At first I wanted a Mazda rx-8 but soon decided otherwise because of all the rotary problems, I then chose to pursue buying a S14.

In Northern Wisconsin any 20 year old car, even 10 years old, is completely rusted out, so while on vacation in Texas the search began. If I learned anything while searching it's that nice 240s for sale are hard to find! We finally found a decent one for a reasonable price in Dallas, the first S14 I had ever seen, and followed the owner back into the projects to get the title, very sketchy, but we made it out and with a S14 Zenki.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This car was in good shape and would turn out to be a really nice project car. Being a 20 year old car there was obviously going to be some problems, I'll just list the pros and cons.

PROS: completely stock, dash wasn't cracked, no tears in interior, no running problems

CONS: caved in arm rests (very common), oil covered engine bay, started hard, multiple dents, faded spoiler, would need new bumpers, shredded tires

Despite any problems the car had I was happy with my purchase! From here it was onward to Wisconsin. For the rest of that summer I just got used to the manual and saved money for my next big purchase. I did get some center caps and tires for the 350Z or 370Z wheels that are on it, they've got some pretty bad curb rash from the previous owner.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are some cool pictures I took over this period of time.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Somewhere in here we came to the conclusion that we needed a new intake, so we ordered one and a couple days later...

[IMG][/IMG]

Before I even had a car by brother got me a sheet of stickerbomb vinyl wrap, which kept me busy for a while. I did some research and found some people who vinyl wrapped some of their interior pieces and thought it looked cool so I did the trim around my stereo and shifter. If you don't know how this stuff works you just size a sheet to the item and cut it out, slit the corners, and use a heat gun on low to help shape it for the corners.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I thought it turned out cool, what do you guys think?

We replaced some seals to stop the oil leak.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is all I have time to post right now but I'll post more when I get a chance. Stay tuned!

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by 240Tristan; 07-08-2014, 03:39 PM.

After owning this car and having a couple of months to think up what I was going to do I decided to get a body kit, seeing as it would be incredibly cheaper than going with new oem bumpers. Along with the body kit I was going to get a new spoiler and I narrowed my choice to either a ducktail spoiler or the Silvia one, and then decided to go with the Silvia spoiler. After I got those sorted out I would get the car painted the same red, Ultra Red.

When I was looking for a body kit I really didn't want to get anything too ricy and wanted to stick with something that had a lot of the resemblance of the stock bumpers. After a week or so of searching and narrowing I decided to get the Duraflex V-speed kit.

Trying on the Silvia spoiler

Now getting to my plans for the engine, because my KA24DE was kind of sketchy I decided not to turbo it but instead go down a different road, SR20DET, unfortunately that didn't happen for a while though. Back to the body work.

If you've ever been or lived in Wisconsin you know that the winter spans over the greater portion of the year, and so if you wanted to avoid rusting your car it stayed off the roads. This was good news though because it meant that instead of doing nothing I could prep for paint and fit my new pieces, and so the real work began...

New Shift Knob

Now that all the lights and bumpers were off it was time for paint removal...

My old grill was demolished so I ordered a Silvia one...

Comment

I like where this is going.
      on instagram straight flexin'

Comment

After all of the paint was stripped and the body kit was fitted we sent my baby away to get painted. Over the course of about three months the body got straightened up and smoothed. I also had the body man shave my antenna and hood emblem holes. Here are the pictures he took during his time with the Zenki...

Bad news...need a new hood and fender, old hood was cracked and too weak and old driver side fender was too thin after being fixed...

Finally we were reunited! Now that we had the car back we did our final fitting of the body kit, we didn't have the rear bumper though because we gave it to the body man, we had to do this because the passenger rear quarter was all messed up and we weren't able to get the rear bumper on, so we had him fit it before he painted the car.

Front Bumper

I ordered new turn signals because the old ones were for the USDM bumpers and the V-Speed had holes for JDM ones, once in the bumper they had to be fiber glassed over in order to stay in place. The holes for the sidemarkers were too small so we had to sand those bigger.

Side Skirts

These were a bit of a pain because of clearance issues with the door. To overcome the clearance problems we had to take about an inch off of the inner part of the skirts, this inch was the second lip that went inside the door and once taken off we cleared!

Once the second fitment was done the kit was off to the body man to get painted.

Comment

Looks good so far!

That's a uras type 4 replica kit, right?

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
          @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
            Looks good so far!

That's a uras type 4 replica kit, right?
            I'm not sure, they do look a lot alike though

Comment

Here's a better picture of the shift knob that shows my new shift boot and deck. I had to redo the top piece of stickerbomb because the first time I did it it was upside down.

Last edited by 240Tristan; 07-08-2014, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Loving everything about this but the sticker bomb.. kinda HS ish imo

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Please keep the mud flaps
                  slow build, fast cars

Comment

I really wish 240's weren't overpriced, thrashed, and drift taxed all to hell. I really want one. Good progress

Comment

I'm iffy on the sticker bomb and shift knob as well, I'm used to that look in thrashed and gutted interiors, but really clean work on the car so far! I wish I could get my hands on a clean 240

Comment

Kill those stickers before they lay eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by 244Brick View Post
                          Loving everything about this but the sticker bomb.. kinda HS ish imo
                          Originally posted by dannyrl View Post
                          I'm iffy on the sticker bomb and shift knob as well, I'm used to that look in thrashed and gutted interiors, but really clean work on the car so far! I wish I could get my hands on a clean 240
                          Originally posted by Fetka View Post
                          Kill those stickers before they lay eggs.
                          Glad to see every one likes the stickerbomb haha, I'm only 17 so it probably is pretty High Schoolish but it will probably make its way out of the car sometime

Comment

Originally posted by shredgnar_ View Post
                            Please keep the mud flaps
                            They do look cool but they're not going to fit with the side skirts on

Comment

At this point in the build it was already spring and the roads would be clearing up as soon as the snow decided to finally melt. I also saved up enough money to get my SR20! I ordered the Blacktop out of the supped up JDM version from JDMenginedepot, which was reasonably priced and arrived a week later.

Took some final pictures of the KA in the car...
                              (sorry about the glare)

After the pictures we took the KA out and the hideous result of leaving an oil leak for an extended amount of time was revealed.

I couldn't just leave her like that so I grabbed a bucket of soapy water, a brush, a toothbrush, and a roll of shop towels and hopped into the engine bay. Three hours later...

Seeing as cleaning the engine bay took so long we dropped the SR in the day after. The SR went in really easily and without any modifications because it was out of the same car.

The wee little Garrett turbo pushing about 8 psi...

Got a nice little surprise one day from the body man, the spoiler and mirrors were painted and ready to be installed...

This quarter panel is where the antenna used to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X