Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Suspension life and other questions

Hey everyone,

I will hopefully be completing my air setup within the next month or so and have always wondered what the life of Air Suspension is before you can expect to experience some problems or need to replace parts/bags etc...

I guess other question for this thread that people could answer for me is:
    -How many miles have you put on your Air Setup?
    -What are some Issues you have ran into? (Blown bags, Air leaks, etc..)
    -What are issues I should prepare for? (What tools do you keep with you for quick fixes?)

I guess I just want to be more or less prepared and would love to hear peoples experiences with their Air Setup so far. I daily my car quite frequently so I will be putting more wear on my setup than most people probably do!

Thanks in Advance!
    M A Z D A F I T M E N T

Follow my journey into the Stance World: MonsterMazda's Bag Build

Hey man! Congrats on going with air, it's such a nice setup compared to being static. I wouldn't go back for anything on my daily.

I have out about 7000 mi on my setup so far, I really haven't had many issues with mine so far. The biggest issue I had so far was a top mount breaking and the bag spinning and wrapping the line around the bag, the tire eventually rubbed a hole in the line. Pretty easy fix tho just replaced the section of line and the top mount (which was oem)

Other than that issue nothing but small leaks in my tank from fittings, but nothing that I was really concerned about, my tank would drop about 10/15 psi over night.
    sigpic
    "how do you drive that? Does it have those lifter shocks on it like the low riders?"
    -Faithful Autozone Customer
    Make me insta famous @isupa_shaun

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun708 View Post
      Hey man! Congrats on going with air, it's such a nice setup compared to being static. I wouldn't go back for anything on my daily.

I have out about 7000 mi on my setup so far, I really haven't had many issues with mine so far. The biggest issue I had so far was a top mount breaking and the bag spinning and wrapping the line around the bag, the tire eventually rubbed a hole in the line. Pretty easy fix tho just replaced the section of line and the top mount (which was oem)

Other than that issue nothing but small leaks in my tank from fittings, but nothing that I was really concerned about, my tank would drop about 10/15 psi over night.
      Thanks man! Yeah I just couldn't see the value in going static when you pretty much have to replace parts constantly. On a daily driver I just would not be able to do that despite how badass it is to roll around and say you are static haha

Ohh wow, sounds like that was an "Ohhh shyytttt!" moment. But glad to hear it sounds like it was an easy enough fix!

I was kind of expecting to have to deal with air leaks at some point but I am glad to hear that for the most part fitting leaks don't seem to drain too much air from the system!

I really appreciate your input!
      M A Z D A F I T M E N T

Follow my journey into the Stance World: MonsterMazda's Bag Build

Comment

I've got maybe 2,000 on my air ride, and 99% of the troubles I've had are due to trial-and-error stuff stemming from building on a platform for which there is no aftermarket, basically just working the kinks out of my bag setup. I don't know what the air ride situation looks like in Mazdaland, but if there's an off-the-shelf suspension setup for you (or your suspension isn't just totally claustrophobic like mine is), that'll cut out a lot of work and potential trouble spots.

My recommendation is to do a "rough draft" setup, keeping it dead simple and running all plastic DOT air lines to start, and worry about getting fancy and making it look pretty once you're sure the kinks are worked out. Hard lines and general fanciness looks great, but it adds a lot of failure points and spots where leaks can occur. Worry about that stuff after you're sure your bags are doing what they're supposed to.

My car's not a daily, so I haven't worried about roadside repairs thus far, but I would at a minimum have a look at what Bag Riders sells in their emergency kit, and adapt that to your particular setup. Some air line, a line cutter, a few PTC-PTC junctions, teflon tape, a spare relay and fuses, a shitload of zip ties, and wrenches to turn every fitting in your system would be my minimum on a daily.

EDIT: Also, add in to your emergency kit a couple of ways to air up your system if your comp fails. On my setup, I have a female air line quick connect for running air tools in 1/4" industrial. In a pinch, I can mate a Schrader fitting attached to a 1/4" industrial male quick connect, or a 1/4" male-male industrial, or a male 1/4" to male 3/8" industrial, which will allow me to air up from any gas station or anywhere that has an air compressor.
        Last edited by Oh Damn, it's Sam; 06-30-2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Congrats on going with air, it's such a nice setup compared to being static. I wouldn't go back for anything on my daily.
          Last edited by ypennyamus; 07-12-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X