Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "This thing is going to fall apart." feeling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of oil pressure... While we're on the topic of carnage incidents.. Second time I broke my pan I didn't know for quite some time as it was a small leak. Would an oil pressure gauge be helpful for cracking a pan, because as oil would leak out, wouldn't pressure drop steadily?

Comment

Originally posted by Dremetos View Post
      Speaking of oil pressure... While we're on the topic of carnage incidents.. Second time I broke my pan I didn't know for quite some time as it was a small leak. Would an oil pressure gauge be helpful for cracking a pan, because as oil would leak out, wouldn't pressure drop steadily?
      I don't believe so. So long as the pump isn't sucking air, oil pressure will remain pretty steady. Once it's sucking air, it'll plummet, but you're probably already in trouble at that point.

Best thing to do is run a skid and/or reinforce the shit out of your pan, IMO.

Comment

That makes sense, it's not so much a capacity monitor rather than a light switch effect - it is sucking liquid yes/no. Hmmmm.. This pan has lasted a go-- never mind i know what happens when I say anything like that.

It's cool when my front sub frame slams the ground because it smells like you just sparked a flint - you know if you hit the pan or not by the inner nose... what a gut wrenching feeling when you don't smell the smelly smell..

Comment

My Kia was never really slammed enough to hit the ground all the time. The lowest point was about 2" off the ground. For the most part everything was tucked up really well under that thing. If I had different coils and did a notch for the tie rods I could have really decked it. The pan sits higher than the sub frame.

On occasion here and there I could hit the subframe on stuff. Always a good time with people in the car. Looks on their faces is always priceless.

Once and a while though it was always fun to have the exhaust drag on some road crown though. I think the worst noises it really ever made was the rear lips whaling on the quarters. My first trip from NY to SoWo with Dudeman, a lot of beer, and gear basically shaved my tires for me. Bridge transitions are the absolute worst.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

I feel it. I finally put my wheels on after swapping my hubs and went to drive around the block, ended up scraping my exhaust on a manhole cover. Yes. On flat land. I guess my next project is tucking the exhaust.

instagram: @elliotjlong

Comment

My e21 scares the shit out of me sometimes. I've recently replaced the alternator after dying two miles down the road after a car meet, and the replaced alternator isn't producing enough amps to run the basic electrics such as the interior lights and the fuel pump, along with a low-power two speaker amp and the hateful high powered headlights the PO put in. At night with the lights on and my music playing, the battery light comes on just a little bit, constantly freaks me out even though I KNOW the alternator is charging just enough to keep me going. (I've researched this issue with other e21's and know how to fix it, just requires a higher amp alternator, blah blah blah) Anyway, tonight coming home from a meet I noticed my interior lights (cluster and center console) were noticeably dim. Drove along for a while, shitting my pants, until I rotated the light button with the interior light dimmer on it, and the lights came back to full power. The electrics in this car terrify me. Also the exhaust which is loose and sounds EXACTLY like lifter tick.
              "If one has not failed at times, then one has not challenged himself."
              -Ferdinand Porsche

Comment

i feel like that when my gas tank bottoms out on the freeway.

im sure you guys have hit those patches of road that you swear your car actually slowed down a few mphs as you hit it. That is when it gets scary for me haha
                -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                Got Drop??

Comment

The shittiest thing ever imo is when you see a simple patched piece of tar in the middle of a road, and it appears to be completely flush with the rest of the road. Turns out it's raised an inch and just gets a little too up close and personal with the underside of the car.

Comment

local news here:

Expansion joint popped and beat up that stock Accord.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

^death

Comment

VTEC just kicked in yo.

Comment

This is every day I drive the Camaro, any time I hit a bump the front control arms slam into the K-member. I probably should put my bump stops back on.

1989 Chevy Camaro RS | 1981 Mercedes 500SE AMG

Originally posted by Skraight.
                          And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

thankful my commute to work isnt bad
                            Golf 6 - OEM PLUS

Comment

HA! couldnt have said it better
                              @davidcharloff

Comment

Bridge transitions. Whenever hitting any sort of bump, my asscheeks go full clench, I sit up in my seat and white knuckle the wheel with both hands, preparing for impact.

Comment

Working...
                                X