No announcement yet.

Front coils bottomed, what's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well just to give you a bit of an fyi...

Overall rolling diameters have to be within 5% front to back in order for most AWD systems to work properly. This was verified by a Porsche engineer, because as you probably know a 911 c4 is an AWD car and it has staggered wheels front to back. Lambo's also have staggered wheels. 5% is a safe standard throughout the industry, so I feel pretty comfortable rocking a staggered setup.

I have a b7 A4 quattro with 19x8.5's up front rolling on a 215/35/19 and 19x10's out back with a 235/25/19 in back.

I think you would be fine rocking a set of staggered wheels, but just look around for setups that seam even. It's really hard to judge the evenness of tire sizes when you stretch, so you have to be careful, but go into the specifications on tires (I know toyo has a huge specification list) and then grab the same overall diameter size, or as close as possible, but grab them 1-2 sizes down from recommended on tire-rack.

That way you know your getting the same stretch front to back, and you'll be rolling the same diameter.
    iiililillillliliil
    bar|society

Comment

i hear yah, 8.5s to 10s in the rear is legit. so is 235s on a 10 lol. thanks for the info, ill keep it in mind for my next set of rims
      Ryan | flickr

Comment

Originally posted by notloEnuf View Post
        every set of coils i have had, the first thing i did before i even put them on was ditch the helper spring.....It's only purpose is to keep the main spring body in palce while the car is off the ground. When compressed all the way takes up 1.5-2.5 of your lowering capabilities. ...ditch that shit.
        yes sir!

i always remove the helper springs when i do installs for people

Widebody B6 build

HIT ME UP if you need Ksport supplies. i can get them to you cheaper than anyone.

Comment

is there any way i could shorten coils? i tried to swap springs, but the spring just stays not pushed.. I mea, there's like an inch of free space, but the coil doesn't go lower. What would be needed to make it lower?
          shorten this part

?

these are not mine, but you can see what i'm talking about on the second one from the left

Comment

Comment

uhhh

when there's weight on the car that free space will be compressed and the spring will be touching the hat...

Comment

Originally posted by riffman12 View Post
                uhhh

when there's weight on the car that free space will be compressed and the spring will be touching the hat...
                +1

and s4cr if you're saying that there's an inch of free space between the spring and the hat when it is fully compressed than you don't have the shock travel to go that low, try spinning the coils up a bit. you would be sitting on the bump stops. at that point you'd have to modify some things. many camber plates lower the car some bit also.

if you didn't fully compress the strut with the shorter spring on there, I would throw it back on and than fully compress it and see how much shock travel you have. a shorter spring is your best bet just make sure you have enough shock travel. you can trim the bumpstop to create a little more travel also.

IG: @_olliee

Comment

Originally posted by Ollie View Post
                  +1

and s4cr if you're saying that there's an inch of free space between the spring and the hat when it is fully compressed than you don't have the shock travel to go that low, try spinning the coils up a bit. you would be sitting on the bump stops. at that point you'd have to modify some things. many camber plates lower the car some bit also.

if you didn't fully compress the strut with the shorter spring on there, I would throw it back on and than fully compress it and see how much shock travel you have. a shorter spring is your best bet just make sure you have enough shock travel. you can trim the bumpstop to create a little more travel also.
                  Shock travel is overrated.

I have about quarter of an inch; might need to trim the 'stops at some point, but so far, the travel seems to be plenty; certainly haven't had any bouncing yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X