Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm back! Fake-Benz content inside (SRT-6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SnazzyQ View Post
    Dude the paint turned out horrible man. Definitely push to get at least your $1000 dollars back
    Yes, yes it did

Alright so there is starting to be some light at the end of the tunnel, however that tunnel is still very long and dark.....

The bodyshop has agreed to my request of refunding $1,000. Honestly, given how little of a fight they put up, I wish I had requested more. But alas I feel that $1,000 is relatively fair.....it's a start a least.

Now, the plot thickens. In short, I think i'm going to need new front fenders. Whatever the bodyshop did to "fix" my front fenders has made them extremely weak. Mind you, my fenders weren't really all that bad to begin with. They were just a little bit bowed out as a result of my tire making contact with them and pushing them out.....mostly from backing out of my driveway at an angle. #SteepDrivewayProblems. When it came time to paint my car they offered to straighten them back out for me so I say sure why not. In hindsight it was probably a dumb idea knowing that they were just going to bow back out but whatever. Anywho, I believe they ultimately ended up trimming the inner fender lip and flattening it out entirely. Before they were just rolled. Well in doing this it has compromised the structural integrity of the fenders altogether. So much in fact that I can't even back out of my driveway without buckling the fender. I never had this problem before and my fenders felt much more sturdy before. So I think I am going to go ahead and add new fenders to the list as well. I will try to scour eBay/junkyards for some fenders before purchasing new ones but let's face it - Crossfire's aren't exactly a common car so finding secondhand parts for them is like finding a needle in a haystack.

With all of that being said, I have decided to indefinitely park the car. It's bittersweet because I was really looking forward to showing the car off with fresh paint some this summer at local meets/shows but it's just not in the cards right now. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I just can't stand driving a car around that looks half-ass, especially now that my driver side fender looks worse than it ever has before. This whole ordeal has felt like a huge step backwards when it was supposed to be a huge step forwards for the car.

Anyways, i'll provide updates as they arise although I don't think i'll have any real updates for awhile. At least not until I come up with the money for new fenders and yet another paintjob. As of right now my end goal is to have the car at 100% by H20. I haven't given up hope just yet but i'm damn sure on the edge of just throwing in the towel and selling the car outright.
    Last edited by OSSHWA; 06-22-2015, 12:36 PM.
    MB Obsidian Black Metallic Crossfire SRT-6
    Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• Such a bummer that after all that you have to park the car. I get the perfectionist side of things, I won't drive my car until its how I want it either haha. It's an awesome little car and updates are always great, hopefully you don't get rid of it. Big fan of everything you've done so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
        Such a bummer that after all that you have to park the car. I get the perfectionist side of things, I won't drive my car until its how I want it either haha. It's an awesome little car and updates are always great, hopefully you don't get rid of it. Big fan of everything you've done so far.
        Thanks man.

I never thought something as simple as painting a gloss black car metallic black would turn into such a nightmare of a situation. I regret the decision to even paint the car at this point. The paint wasn't perfect by a long shot but hey, it photographed pretty well........lol.
        Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• Here's a shot of my driver side fender and one of the main reasons my car will not be leaving the garage for a few months. I'm again stressing the fact that I've never had this problem prior to my fenders being "fixed" by the bodyshop. It was their idea to "trim and flatten" the fender lip to give me additional clearance. I suppose it's shame on me for agreeing to it (sounded like a good idea at the time) but I did not realize it was going to compromise the strength of the fender altogether.

Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• Holy fuckballs.

I know you're a static guy, but have you considered air cups just to deal with your driveway? I've got the same issue (my driveway is at a 15 degree angle) and that's 95% of the reason I went with air.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
              Holy fuckballs.

I know you're a static guy, but have you considered air cups just to deal with your driveway? I've got the same issue (my driveway is at a 15 degree angle) and that's 95% of the reason I went with air.
              Yeah....it's f*cked.

And as I mentioned before, I never had this issue before. I've backed my car out of my driveway hundreds of times in the past. 3 wheeling, tired hitting the fender.....the whole 9 yards.....never was an issue. Prior to repairing the fenders you could grab them and tug on them in either direction and they felt as solid as a rock. Now when you tug on them they feel much flimsier and flexible. I've never been a fan of air (even air cups) and new fenders are still a much cheaper solution verus going air. And (no disrespect) I will never ever ever ever ever ever bag a car that I own. Hell, if I was rich i'd be the dude driving around a slammed static Lambo with a cracked front bumper.
              Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• Damn wtf, They seriously screwed up your fenders.

Also yeah I get the Perfectionist thing too, But please dont throw in the towel on this car, Its the coolest crossfire ever.

Comment

Damn wtf, They seriously screwed up your fenders.

Also yeah I get the Perfectionist thing too, But please dont throw in the towel on this car, Its the coolest crossfire ever.
                  Yeah they turned them into gummy bears. And honestly, putting my perfectionism aside, I don't really feel that left side fender is good to be driving around on. I mean at this point it's toast but I still don't want to destroy it any more in the time being.

And thanks I appreciate that. The idea of selling it is on the table at this point simply because I just the idea of spending even more money on it just to get it back to where it was. This whole situation has been a huge setback. But then again it would probably be even more expensive to start fresh with a different car. And I really have no idea as to what I would even get. So for now i'm just going to pinch pennies and keep an eye out for some fenders. The bodyshop said that they'd refund me the $1,000 within 30 days. I will use that money to buy the fenders and then i'll need to save another $2,500 or so to get the car redone......again.
                  Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• Alright so I finally had a piece of good news come my way.

So if you've been following this thread you'll know that I need new front fenders. If you're just joining us, just look at the picture a few posts up for reference.....lol. Anywho, I priced out new OEM fenders and they $408.xx/each + shipping. Ouch. So before I shell out close to another grand on new fenders I decided it wouldn't hurt to see if I could find a set of used fenders. I checked eBay and a few other sites but ultimtely I was either finding just one fender or overpriced used fenders. (ex. $375 for a used fender wheras the new one is $408. Might as well get the new one!) I also decided to make a WTB thread on the Crossfire forum in the long shot that someone on there was selling some fenders.

Well.....the long shot paid off. Within a day of posting my WTB thread I received a message from a member on there saying that he had two black fenders he was looking to sell AND that he works for a shipping company and could give me a good price on the shipping and whatnot. Ultimately the agreed upon price was $550 shipped for the pair. I am sending him payment tomorrow (pay day). So upon me receiving the new (used) fenders as well as the $1,000 refund it'll put me one step closer to getting this car back up to par.
                    Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• Deals are always the best. Glad things are starting to move in a positive direction for the car.

Comment

• Originally posted by saturnstance View Post
                        Deals are always the best. Glad things are starting to move in a positive direction for the car.
                        Thanks man. It's taken a few hundred dollars off of the financial blow. It's a step in the right direction at least.
                        Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That is an amazing deal for those fenders man. Glad to see this is coming back faster than I thought it would

Comment

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That is an amazing deal for those fenders man. Glad to see this is coming back faster than I thought it would
                            Yeah I am sending him payment today. $550 is still a pretty big pill to swallow, not to mention I will need to cough over a few more dollars to get them rolled once they are on the car. But it's still alot better than $816 + shipping.

And yeah, after I cooled down and collected myself I thought about it and ultimately realized that it would still be far more expensive to start over fresh. I've come so far with this car and gotten so close to having it exactly how I want it so I might as well suck it up and follow through with it. The only other car I was considering was a 370Z but the parts I would want for it are rather pricey. Not to mention that 370Z's are relatively common and slower than my SRT-6....lol. My girlfriend was like "As strange as your car is to me, I know how much you love it and I think you should keep it."
                            Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

• awesome work all around the car, congrats, how about tint all red the taillights

Comment

• Originally posted by adolfitovr6 View Post
                                awesome work all around the car, congrats, how about tint all red the taillights
                                Much appreciated. I have actually considered doing that, just haven't gotten around to actually doing it.
                                Instagram - @osshwa

Comment

Working...
                                X