BBS RS Wheels Wobbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBS RS Wheels Wobbling

I recently had a set of BBS RS built by SpinFab.

Wheel info:
    16 inch faces slant lipped to 18s
    5x114 re-drilled to 5x112
    The faces are powder coated (along with the back of the hub)
    Using stock VW lug bolts (ball seat, M14 x 1.5 x 27mm)

Here are my issues/questions:

The re-drill on the wheels weren't lining up correctly with the lug bolt holes.
    The metal hub rings that were provided do not mount on to the wheel hub. And the hub rings provides were uneven when we measured them with a micrometer.
    Both the lug bolt holes and hub rings are covered in powder coat, so I'm not sure if that is the issue.

When I finally did get one of the wheels on the car and spun it while the car was suspended on the jack the wheel wobbles like crazy.

Do you think this is due to the re-drill being off or do to the fact that the back of the wheel hub is powder coated and causing the wheel to sit unevenly? We were able to finally get the wheel on with all of the lugs with plastic hub rings that we had laying around, but the wobbling is out of control.

Any ideas on what the issue could be and how to fix it? (Powder coat on the back of the wheels is too thick, wrong lug bolt size, messed up re-drill, etc...???) I know one of the wheels is bent because when I had the tires mounted and balanced the guy called me over to explain that on of the front wheels was bent and he balanced it the best he could but could not promise that it wouldn't vibrate while I was driving.
    Last edited by mandi_mkvi; 05-25-2014, 01:26 PM.

It shoud be the powder coat...

Have talked to Vince?
    If not do so.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post
      It shoud be the powder coat...

Have talked to Vince?
      If not do so.
      I am leaning towards the powder coat being the issue, but I don't want to sand it down and potentially mess up the wheel and be blamed for it.

This is the second set of issues I am having with these wheels and I'm kind of fed up at this point with the amount of money I paid for them.

I sent Vince an email this morning asking for his phone number.

Comment

I have the Same problem with my Bbs , plus a few more with the wheels being bent. And if you're talking about Vince deLuca. Probably the worst person I have ever dealt with. After I got my wheels I kindly asked him what was wrong with them and why after I payed so much money. Got no replies. Terrible customer service. Good luck with everything!

Comment

spinfab is utter fuckery, sorry to tell you, you are probably going to have to send them back out to a better company and fork over more cash to have your wheels repaired. i saw first hand the hatchet job that came from them on Dario Duric's rs centers at sowo a few weeks back. the holes were oblong, nothing was centered, they managed to fuck the centerbore up. he had to have the entire thing welded and redrilled.

stephen (madface on ig) does good work
          motorsport tech did mine, and they are a sponsor here, contact brad at adaptec. their work is incredible.

best of luck, i believe post like these are going to be a common issue from this shitshow of a shop after the work i saw on darios centers.

Comment

Im sorry you too got screwed over by vince. The quality of work he does shouldnt cost $100, let alone what he charges. He wont make it right and he most likely wont respond to any of your emails. Ive heard from a couple of his "friends" that he has been hiding from people. Thats fine as you can only hide for so long. Hope to see you around soon Vince.

Comment

And what wesworks said is 100% true. And if you need them fixed you can pm me and i can get you in touch with madface.

Comment

I would like to add that i did get contacted by someone from spinfab(not vince) who was very professional, but we could not come to an agreement.

Comment

So I wound up giving the wheels back to Spin Fab so that they could correct the situation. They said they would replace my 5x114 re-drilled faces with true 5x112 BBS RS faces that were properly powder coated. I returned the wheels to them and about a week later I received them back with the new faces.

These new faces didn’t have any powder coat on the back of the hub and everything looked good. The wheels bolted up 100% perfect (I purchased cone seat lugs as well per Spin Fabs recommendation). The wheels didn’t wobble at all when we spun them on the car while the car was still suspended in the air. The car now looks and drives great and I couldn’t be happier

As far as some of you saying things about the communication skills with Spin Fab, I never really had an issue communicating with anyone I dealt with from there, at most a day or two would go by, but nothing crazy.

Here is an iPhone pic of them on my car:

Comment

looks great
                    United States Of Stance
                    www.unitedstatesofstanceshop.bigcartel.com
                    Ig: @Stuart.treybich
                    @Unitedstatesofstance_

Comment

Glad everything worked out.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Any ideas on how to get a hold of Vince with SpinFab? They built a set of wheels for a project started in 2015 and just getting to wheel fitment. I'm new to this and not sure where/how to post.

Comment

Working...
                        X