Stanced Go-Kart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanced Go-Kart

My friend and I made a Go-Kart for my autotech class. It was a competition for a local community college to raise interest in the automotive program. We built it from complete scratch into our own design. We raced it in a slalom and a drag race against other high schools. We won the mechanical skills competition and the drag race, but lost the slalom by less than a second. We made one last year but that was a mile off the ground lol. I dont have a picture of last years but here's this years:

Stats:
    chinese replica of a honda 250cc quad engine
    air cooled
    4 up, reverse down shifting
    hydraulic disk brake rear only
    electric start
    straightpiped lol
    chinese replica carb
    15 tooth front sprocket
    45 tooth rear sprocket
    #40 chain
    built on a budget of $1000

I finally finished editing all the photos and getting them in an order I like. So heres the actual build:

We used an old brake rotor to bend some 1.5" strap so make our drop spindles.

Tackin up the strap on the plates we had cut

1.5" tube used in the center holes. The ends of the plates are about 86° apart so about -4° of camber.

Initial mock-up with front axle completed

$50 seat from Jegs

Ebay Special 250cc (Honda XR replica) air cooled four stroke with quad transmission (4 up + reverse)

Tacked up frame

Final frame design tacked up. We actually had to take it apart and put it back together because one side was a couple inches off and not square. We tacked the front spindles down and clamped the rear down while we placed some 1/4" plates under the middle before we welded it up to give the frame some natural camber.

Another shot of the gusseting. Gussets are 3/4" frame is 1" tube.

Weldzor

Artsy welding pics lol. Shooting welding is actually really fun. So many cool motion blurs and lighting effects.

We pre ran the car and then decided to clear coat the exhaust, tierods, and shifter linkage. Even though we used high temp paint the pipe rusted up and lost the beautiful color. Tie rods and shifter linkage still look great though

Heres a pic of what our shop at our High School looked like. Scotchbriting the frame getting it ready for paint.

Heims <3

Assembly of the front after paint. The tall black lever is the the shifter and the lever on it is the clutch.

Another of the front end. Diamond mesh where your heels go.

Rear end shot before installing the axle

We hid the wiring here. Voltage rectifier, CDI, coil, and kill switch. The red wire all wrapped up is the recharge for the battery which might eventually get installed. Right now we just use a jumper box and connect it directly to the positive on the starter.

rear end

Cantilever for the brake. Brake pedal pulls the top forward pushing the piston upwards. Polished aluminum, one of my favorite parts of the cart

2 piston floating caliper off a chinese pitbike

Side shot

Sats:
    chinese replica of a honda 250cc quad engine
    air cooled
    4 up, reverse down shifting
    hydraulic disk brake rear only
    electric start
    straightpiped lol
    chinese replica carb
    15 tooth front sprocket
    45 tooth rear sprocket
    #40 chain
    built on a budget of $1000
    Last edited by Dale Doeback; 02-23-2015, 10:33 PM. Reason: made it an actual build thread
    E39 Build! ---> "how to ruin an E39"

Thats rad dude!! Ive always wanted to build a go cart from scratch. One day ill get motivated

Comment

needs more lows.............................................. .......

nice

Comment

theres no camber no stretch and its not even low. how d oyou call this stance?

lol jk ive always wanted to build one but i suck at welding.hopefully this year ill take another shot at building one of these

instagram: @keenanhaye

Comment

Win!

Comment

Updated photos and made it an actual build thread!
            E39 Build! ---> "how to ruin an E39"

Comment

you should fab some body panels and fenders. and please god make it bagged somehow
              @DollaDollaDill

Comment

Dope Kart!

Comment

Working...
                X