This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harness bar help

So I bought this bar for my car off a guy. He never installed it and has no idea how. I'm at a bit of a loss. From what I can see, those end pieces go where the OE seat belt mounts go. But for those other bars? No idea. Any help?

Originally posted by High_5er
    Hella irritating when the local Fuckbois smash around in a stock WRX with a fart can and a BOV. Then theyre all like, "Yeah bro I run boost" DUH NIGGA YOUR CAR CAME WITH IT.

There's actually another set of brackets underneath ill try and get a shot of

Hella irritating when the local Fuckbois smash around in a stock WRX with a fart can and a BOV. Then theyre all like, "Yeah bro I run boost" DUH NIGGA YOUR CAR CAME WITH IT.

Comment

Typically a harness bar mounts to the upper seatbelt mounting points and those two smaller bars are used to hold up the main bar by bracing between it and the lower seatbelt mounting bolts.

Remember, don't use it on the street.

Comment

Why not on the street?

Edit: is it because I don't have a full roll cage? Or a helmet?
        Last edited by Omnious; 04-24-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

There's not a harness bar on the market that can actually survive the forces of a wreck without turning taco-shaped. They're great if you want to run harnesses at an autocross event where the chances of hitting something are essentially zero and the additional holding power of 5 or 6-point harnesses is useful, but on the street wearing harnesses with a harness bar is the equivalent of not wearing a seatbelt, period.

Here's what a front impact did to a Sparco bar:

Comment

Shit.... Did I just waste my money? Lol

Comment

I bought it for when I carve back roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Omnious View Post
                I bought it for when I carve back roads.
                Shit.... Did I just waste my money? Lol
                I'd say yes.

Harnesses do not have a place on the street other than for show points. An argument could be made for well-engineered retractable harnesses with adequate mounting points, but I simply do not see the point. If you find yourself moving around in your seats on tight corners, seats with better bolsters and locking your factory belt retractors by giving them a sharp tug is a much better solution.

Comment

Oh well. At least ill get the added chassis stability. And itl look cool hahaha. What if I were to get a front roll cage that covers the roof? And wore a helmet?

I guess my real question is, why do harnesses/bars exist if they are "unsafe"?

Comment

If you're going to run a cage, you will need to wear your harnesses and helmet 100% of the time, or you're asking for a head injury. If you're okay with that, then have fun.

Lots of things exist that are bad ideas or simply do not do what they're advertised to do. There's a sucker born every minute, as they say. It pays to do your research.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
                      It pays to do your research.
                      No kidding.... I dont mind the harness 100% of the time, not so sure about that helmet idea haha. I was about to ask if wrapping the cage in foam would make it safer but I have a feeling I already know the answer to that.

Comment

I was about to ask if wrapping the cage in foam would make it safer but I have a feeling I already know the answer to that.
                        You do.

A 50 MPH crash stops a car at somewhere around 50 Gs. An adult's head weighs about 5 kg. You tell me whether you think a piece of foam is going to adequately cushion a head that's got 2400N of force behind it.

Comment

Figured haha. If the harness is tight, shouldn't that protect my head from hitting a bar under soft driving without a helmet?

Keep in mind all of these questions are just that, questions. I'm not trying to justify anything, I just want to know what's safe.

Comment

Soft driving isn't what you need to be worried about. Under light loads the harnesses will keep you planted just fine, but, of course, so will your factory belts if you have decent seats and lock your belt retractors.

What you need to be worried about are wrecks. All the harness tightening in the world won't protect your head if a car plows into your driver's door at 50 MPH. That's when your head and that cage are going to become very intimate very quickly.

Cages are beyond irritating in a street car. Having driven a racecar or two on pavement in my younger and dumber days, getting in sucks, cracking your elbow on the door bar when you corner hard sucks, getting out sucks, not having sunvisors sucks, cutting up your interior to make room for cage bars sucks...

Comment

Thanks for the advice. So, is it EVER safe to use the harnesses with just a harness/bar? Or is that only safe on autocross?

Comment

Working...
                              X