R50 Mini Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R50 Mini Cooper

I have owned some quite low cars, from an Audi A3, to an Astra Cabby.. but I thought it was time to grow up, get something maybe a bit quicker, but keep it standard height, and not play around with it too much.
    I ended up with a Renault Megane Sport 225. It was a great car, but I soon learnt that function over form is something I cant live with.
    I'll never grow up, I've learnt that now, and the car was put up for sale.

I was set on what I wanted, so I promptly went on ebay and bought myself some coilovers. Basically chose the set with the biggest TUV approved drop.

Comparison

Once these arrived (before I had a car) I went ahead and took the helper springs out. No point keeping them.

I found a company called Driftwood, who could supply me with a good price on a minty deepdish steering wheel. Still waiting for this to arrive from the States, and excited to get it installed! I can then work around the colour theme for my car.

By this point, I still haven't even looked at a single car yet! I knew it had to be silver or black, have half leathers, and the standard 5 spoke alloys.
    I was lucky, and spoke to a lady who owned one for a year, and just put a fresh MOT on it.
    Turns out to be an alright spec.. Silver, panoramic roof, full leathers, 5 spoke alloys, two keys, cd player, and 81k on the clock.

Went and viewed the car, had a drive and bought it. Knocked off £200 from the asking price as it needs some work...
    Strut tops are shot (replacements ordered)
    oil leak from filter housing
    power steering leaking
    petrol cap cover missing
    release bearing noisy (new one ordered)

Just a couple from when I got it home..

These are pics after a quick clean..

Right.. This is where it gets interesting. The front struts are designed for 2002-2006 Minis.. mine is a late 2001 model, so the top mounts are slightly thicker. We had to take 15mm of metal off the top of the coilover dampers to allow the top mounts to slide down further.. but inturn allows the nut it fit on. Nightmare, but a couple of hours later, I was sorted.

I managed to install the front, but the back is currently seized.. heat and a windygun will get them out later today. So I'm afraid I only have the front down at the moment..
    Wheels were catching on the struts too.. so was lucky to have some 5mm slip on spacers!
    Sorry for the terrible pics!

Backs will be down tonight, will need to trim all the inner arch liners, and set the height on the front more.
    Then I can fit my top mounts and droplinks when they arrive later this week.

Also waiting for my new arm rest and connect2 box to arrive.

Plans are....
    Some dished 16's. not sure what yet though.
    backbox removed and straight pipe added.
    minty steering wheel, and speedo surround painted the same.
    minty gearknob too
    new petrol cap cover
    some chrome parts painted silver
    and whatever else. always open to ideas!
    instagram is marcuscreek .. always updated with new pics!
    Last edited by cus; 04-01-2014, 07:04 AM.
    Instagram - marcuscreek ---- facebook - /cusbum

Static Low R50 Mini Cooper

Well its all lowered. Now time to find some wheels

Comment

so it was time to get some new wheels, i wanted something a bit different to the usual wheels people go with. did some research and found that the mini can have 8.5s up front.. but wanted wheels with the correct offset to allow me to run spacers.

I decided on some KW Turbos. Originally made by RH in the late 90s, these wheels arent mega rare, but very very hard to get hold of in the UK. I opted for 17", 8.5" wide, and et55.
      These are in new condition, with only storage related marks, and never been fitted on a car. I have paperwork, but no centre caps.

trial fitted,but i need 20/30 mm spacers, and tyres!
      excuse the jack in the pics..

I then cracked open the snowfoam and gave the car a quick wash.

Comment

Those kw turbos are sweet! Looking forward to seeing them mounted up
        1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
        1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

cheers mate! yeah it should look alright. hopefully by the end of this month

Comment

really loving the Turbos...

I have a set of those in staggered and 5x112...

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax View Post
              really loving the Turbos...

I have a set of those in staggered and 5x112...
              do you have any spare centre caps??

Comment

i dont have any for mine either...but I dont like the look of them anyways...

they are nearly impossible to come by.
                Have you thought about retrofitting the Mini ones ??

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax View Post
                  i dont have any for mine either...but I dont like the look of them anyways...

they are nearly impossible to come by.
                  Have you thought about retrofitting the Mini ones ??
                  hmm i could get some vinyl mini badges made up. i have some RH centre caps that fit.. but they are gold. I will use them as a base and either vinyl print a KW or Mini logo

Comment

This is the Driftwood President 2.0 steering wheel i have ordered, but in a mint green. Should be shipped at the end of the week.
                    I can then get my wooden gearknob and centre rev counter surrounded painted to match .

I have also get a new centre handbrake surround. I wanted the newer style one with the coin holder at the front.
                    it also has a bigger cupholder at the back to mount my new leather armrest. Should arrive tomorrow.

Comment

Good to see another Mini popping up! The wheels look good too! Also looks like you seem to have lost your fuel door.
                      2005 Subaru STI

Comment

Originally posted by nathanrw View Post
                        Good to see another Mini popping up! The wheels look good too! Also looks like you seem to have lost your fuel door.
                        haha yeah, im just waiting for a quote on a replacement one! also needs a new outer passenger A pillar plastic.

Polished the headlights, cleaned the boot and fixed my Connect2 connection issues. no pictures... as i dont want to bore you.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanrw View Post
                          replacement bought.. and getting the A pillar for free which is pretty sweet!

Comment

adapters came, and i had to get them lathed to fit the wheels corrected. created a little 'step', allowing them to sit flat against the wheel. wheels by RH seem to have this issue.
                            anyway, I managed to trial fit them, and Im really pleased with the outcome..

The wheel sits pretty much resting on the adjuster ring.. barely enough clearance, but thats cool, it spins freely, so im happy.

I then pulled the front arches off and bent the metal lip out, making them stick out more, this will hopefully cure the crappy fitment most minis suffer from.. tucking rears, and poking fronts.
                            cant tell much in the picture, but its roughly 15mm further out towards the middle of the arch.

Thats abit it for updates. tyres should arrive today, so should be fitted tomorrow if all goes well!!

had to rescue my mate who drives this..

so bouncy! but worth it haha! he owns a bodyshop, look him up on insta MAAUTOS

Comment

Those wheels look great on there=) Is that honda wrapped?
                              95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

Working...
                              X